Top Shelf Aquatics

Kids "touch safe tank"

Gaviota

Hi. So been doing this hobby for a few months. Learned so much on this site. I am a very science /kid learning experience person and undertook the hobby as a fun thing for the family. As I learn more I understand reef tanks aren't the best idea for small children. So... rethinking my plans. 

I have great memories of being at the beach and Sea world people and Scripps would set up these fun bins that the kids could put their hands on the critters... 

Can someone point me the right way to finding out how to set up a family friendly saltwater touch tank?

Not getting too far on Google. 

Christopher Marks

This is a neat idea @Gaviota. I suspect part of the success of those touch tank systems in public aquariums is aided by their large water volume to help reduce contamination and provide better stability.

If you search the forum for Zero Edge tanks, those could make for an interesting touch tank system. They're designed so water overflows from all sides of the tank, with a drain built into the stand itself. That would theoretically make it easier to put hands into and spill water, without really spilling water.

• Like 3

Thank you! Suggestions on proven safe species for such a tank? Doesn't need to be rare or special or big just something marine and more safe for the whole family. 

2 hours ago, Gaviota said:

Thank you! Suggestions on proven safe species for such a tank? Doesn't need to be rare or special or big just something marine and more safe for the whole family. 

Pencil Urchins, Chocolate Chip Stars, Brittle Stars, Conchs are the ones which come to my mind.  You could do some macro algae as well.  

Just out of curiosity...why do you think a reef tank isn't a good idea with small children?

6 hours ago, specore said:

Pencil Urchins, Chocolate Chip Stars, Brittle Stars, Conchs are the ones which come to my mind.  You could do some macro algae as well.  

Just out of curiosity...why do you think a reef tank isn't a good idea with small children?

Most likely because corals release toxins, some that come with serious health risks.

Allergies and bacteria are another concern.

Some fish/inverts are toxic.

At the Ripleys aquarium they have a tank full of cleaner shrimp for the kids to experience the cleaning from a shrimp.

13 hours ago, Gaviota said:

I love these suggestions! thank you.

Due to the toxins many corals make.

If that is the concern just don't keep paly's, as there really isn't anything else we keep which is dangerous.  Even with paly's the cases of people getting ill are extremely rare. Bacteria will still be a concern in a touch tank (maybe more so since you are encouraging touching).  

Touch tank is a cool idea, just don't be discouraged from keeping a reef because you've read about the handful of cases where people have gotten poisoned by paly toxins.  It's probably a 10,000:1 type of deal.  

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

At the Ripleys aquarium they have a tank full of cleaner shrimp for the kids to experience the cleaning from a shrimp.

Forgot this.  My children all enjoyed doing this when I had cleaner shrimp.  

7 minutes ago, specore said:

If that is the concern just don't keep paly's, as there really isn't anything else we keep which is dangerous.  Even with paly's the cases of people getting ill are extremely rare. Bacteria will still be a concern in a touch tank (maybe more so since you are encouraging touching).  

Touch tank is a cool idea, just don't be discouraged from keeping a reef because you've read about the handful of cases where people have gotten poisoned by paly toxins.  It's probably a 10,000:1 type of deal.  

Forgot this.  My children all enjoyed doing this when I had cleaner shrimp.  

Most corals secrete toxins and none of them would be considered wise to be exposed to via ingesting them or via a cut.

Soft coral toxins if you read into them can be an issue. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4771986/

Palytoxin is just one of the worse and it's being found in more than just zoanthids and paly's.

Each human is different and how toxins effect them is different.

I would do extensive research on every single coral/critter when it comes to touch tank.

Ppl thought it was safe allowing their kids to play with turtle pets...you can get salmonella poisoning with improper handling of turtles.