Pod Your Reef

3.7 pico reef - Mermaids Key

Lostandfound

Those cardinalfish are hard to keep.  Keeping them in groups usually helps a bit.  I can't say that I have a lot hope for its long term success.

I'd probably wait on moving the zoanthid.  As long as it isn't damaged or is being irritated by a pest, it should eventually open up.  If it refuses to open up, sometimes an iodine dip can help.

Not sure on the algae.  Good call on adding more snails (although the bumble bees won't help much with algae).  The ceriths are good, you might also try a trochus.  I don't mind having one hermit in my tanks (although they will occasionally eat a snail every so often).

The tank is looking good.  I read the ammonia test as undetectable.

• Thanks 1
Lostandfound

The bumblebee snails are pretty lazy compared to the cerith snails so far. Should I be worried about the bumblebee snails crawling on my zoas at night?

Thank you!

Lostandfound

Will have that parameter tested tomorrow. I have a basic api kit. Water tested 5 min ago with my kit all was well. Sorry that is the best I can do for tonight.

KW NANOREEF
24 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

No sweat! Just giving ideas. Phosphate may be your culprit. 

Do you run chaeto? That will rid you of any algae extremely fast.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

I have a basic api kit.

The API phosphate kit goes up in 0.25ppm increments.  So phosphate levels would be about 10 times higher than recommended before you see any indication with that particular kit.

Also, once an algae bloom takes hold, it will consume available phosphate to feed its growth.  Therefore, testing after you notice a bloom often won't show high levels, even though phosphate might have been the main cause for the bloom in the first place.

Manually remove as much as you can.  Then get some herbivorous snails (asteria and trochus are good choices).  Your maintenance should include taking a turkey baster and blowing detritus off of any bare rock, and siphoning detritus of the top of the sand bed.

• Like 1
KW NANOREEF
14 hours ago, Lostandfound said:

I have not used it yet, would you suggest using that in a sump chamber? 

I use it in the back chamber of my AIO and it does wonders

• Thanks 1
Lostandfound
On 8/8/2018 at 12:34 AM, the camaro show said:

I’d run the lights for 10 hours not 8

I have been running for just a little over 11 hrs latley

I didn't have time for a full panel water test today. Work.

I got rid of the zoa harassing bumblebee snails -3 snails, back to the lfs they went. Although I'm afraid they were hanging around that frag because it is not doing well.

Lostandfound

Had my lady run in some water for a water test today. She also came home with 1 trochus, and 1 margarita snail. Here is the photo she sent with the test results. Looks like Ph, and alkalinity both need attention.

image000000.jpg

• Like 1
Lostandfound

I cannot seem to get PH in the desired range... still at 7.8 over the span of 4 days I have done 3 separate 2ml doses of the product I was supplied with for raising PH. Should I add an air stone to the filter sump?? I already have my power head pointed up to the surface breaking water just enough to cause the occasional air bubble. Heeeeellllp

I also dipped using coral rx packet and re arranged a couple zoa frags on my rock that I noticed pests and irritations on. During the dip I brushed them lightly with a soft bristled brush and picked a couple of white calcified specks off the frags with tweezers, then rinsed them with RO water. I was amazed to see how much crud came off.

When I had the pumps off last night while working I thought I was tripping but I did indeed see a lot of white spec sized bugs crawling up my glass coming from the sad bed.

18 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

When I had the pumps off last night while working I thought I was tripping but I did indeed see a lot of white spec sized bugs crawling up my glass coming from the sad bed.

Probably just pods (which are good).

19 minutes ago, Lostandfound said:

I cannot seem to get PH in the desired range... still at 7.8

Most of us will tell you not to chase pH.  7.8 is actually fine.  You'll even notice that it goes up during the light cycle, and drops when the lights go out.

• Like 3
Lostandfound

My CUC made of 3 dwarf cerith, 1 trochus, and 1 margarita snails have done some serious work on irradricating any algae in the tank. I think I might remove the margarita, its clumsy and falls upside down while cleaning overhangs and can't seem to right itself.

My uncle has a biocube 29 that he has been keeping for over 8 years. He offered me some mushrooms from his sandbed. I scooped them up attached to a couple shell fragments that were covered in coralline, including one cleaned out snail shell. Well... what I thought was a cleaned out shell turned out to be the home of a 2" greyish looking white hair worm. 

20180812_213638.jpg

20180812_213734.jpg

20180812_210652.jpg

20180812_214949.jpg

20180813_070629-01.jpeg

Frag-01.jpeg

GSP seem happy and sprouting new polyps.

• Like 1
Lostandfound

To be rid of the grey bristleworm or not. That is the question. I did a feeding last night and he was out munching a couple fallen pieces of mysis shrimp that missed their targets. Creeps me out, but so long as it isn't making trouble I'd prefer to keep it. I saw it snaking through some frags and briefly irritated some zoas  and even stole a decent chunk of mysis that a zoa laid claim to, but they popped right back open. Pretty bold creeping out with lights on.

The zoa frag that was troubled has recovered somewhat and is partially opening. We will see if it can make a comeback or just melt away 😞

I have not changed water in over a week now and all the water readings I have measured have been zeros. Going to the lfs today for another water test to see if my reef additives have helped from the last time.

Lostandfound

Added the RFG powerhead outlet. Wow what a difference, small circular lifting flow throughout the entire tank. Its large and a bit of an eyesore, had to also fabricate a reducer to fit my outlet. Corals seem very happy though. Aside from the pink flower pots that WILL open every once and a while, they just have not extended nearly what they were at the LFS. They come out for a bit, then pull right back in.

I was determined to install after the death of our torch.... sad day.

His flesh retreated and was left with only a few tenticles dangling by deteriorating flesh. Everything else in the tank is happy.

I noticed an aiptasia spore on a zoanthid colony weeks back and added a peppermint shrimp for about two days. Verified it wasnt a camel before setting it loose. He made quick work nearly going right to the aiptasia but...I tell you this much, that little shrimp was the devil!! He was the most aggressive destructive thing this tank had seen yet. Flipping health snails in attempt to make a meal, munched a zoa skirt, and likely tore the torch frag up. He has long been out now but the torch didn't make it.

20180825_210110.jpg

Reef-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @Lostandfound! How has everything responded to the new circulation with the random flow generator running a few weeks?

I downgraded the pump to a 90gph unit in conjunction with the RFG power head. The tank seems much happier in general.  But will say that the rfg power head truly works. 

A side note after the return system upgrade. This will likely only be an issue with this specific tank. The rfg nozzle has intake ports near the mounting base, reminds me of a newer Chevrolet HD truck exhaust tailpipe tip. On this tank when the sump height is set properly, the display level is so low that water turns to a whirlpool just above said vent holes and will occasionally pull an air bubble from the whirlpool that had formed. I am working on a adjustable sump intake dam to raise or lower the intake level. Which should in theory increase display level.

• Like 1
On 8/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, Lostandfound said:

It seems the tank is hitting a rough spot, 2 weeks with livestock. I removed the rubble bag(pumps off) and replaced with my previously used floss and new foam in the first chamber. Waterflow was improved, noted my previous line marked on the sump

All water test parameters are right on with the exemption of 0.25 to zero ammonia.

1: One of the red spotted cardinal fish died, I couldn't get that fish to eat. Pumps off and syringe fed. Only a single cardinal remains that DOES eat... should I be rid of it as well as they are schooling?

2: one of my zoa frags refusing to partially open for 1 day now. The rest are okay. Should I try moving it out of higher light and flow or just wait?

3: I am noticing rust colored feather looking algae forming all over over but mostly on high spots on the rock over the last few days. But I even have spores of it cling to my glass where water flow is high.

4: Yesterday I added 3 bumblebee snails, and 3 cerith snails. All 6 which have been working hard. And I was impressed with the work they got done overnight. Should I add a small turbo, or emerald crab,  blue leg hermit as well?

@seabass props for your sound advice on the sump. The guy at my local Reef Monster agreed with you as well

Thanks guys!

I have heard that cardinals can be aggressive to each other in smaller tanks.  I do think this tank is probably too small for one long-term but hopefully it'll stay healthy for you. 

Zoas can be finicky.  Algae is a common issue in new tanks, sometimes you just have to wait it out.  You can make sure phosphates aren't too high and reduce light cycle to help.  Turbo will be way too big, try a trochus (love those little work horses!) or an astrea.  Definitely no on emerald, too small a tank and sometimes they get munchy on things.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:18 PM, Lostandfound said:

I have been running for just a little over 11 hrs latley

I didn't have time for a full panel water test today. Work.

I got rid of the zoa harassing bumblebee snails -3 snails, back to the lfs they went. Although I'm afraid they were hanging around that frag because it is not doing well.

You can try shortening the light cycle to 8 hours if algae is an issue.  I run all my tanks on about 8 hours without issue.

On 8/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Lostandfound said:

I cannot seem to get PH in the desired range... still at 7.8 over the span of 4 days I have done 3 separate 2ml doses of the product I was supplied with for raising PH. Should I add an air stone to the filter sump?? I already have my power head pointed up to the surface breaking water just enough to cause the occasional air bubble. Heeeeellllp

I also dipped using coral rx packet and re arranged a couple zoa frags on my rock that I noticed pests and irritations on. During the dip I brushed them lightly with a soft bristled brush and picked a couple of white calcified specks off the frags with tweezers, then rinsed them with RO water. I was amazed to see how much crud came off.

One of the most important things to remember is to never, ever chase numbers.  Adding products to raise or lower pH introduces a point of instability to your tank.  If the tank is happy, don't panic and start messing with things because that's a good way to cause problems.  Goes right along with nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Your little tank is off to a good start.  Keep trucking along and don't panic when things are amiss.  You'll be fine. :smilie:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bought an AI prime HD, hoping for better things out of this light. Mounted 14" off the water line and 16" from the rock. Please check out my schedule and share some input. Photos soon.

Screenshot_20190203-115900_myAI.jpg

Screenshot_20190203-115843_myAI.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Lostandfound

Changed up the lighting. Everything is doing well. Had a TON of pods harassing my zoanthinds. Got a small green spot mandarin and my zoanthids are back to life

Screenshot_20190324-154255_myAI.jpg

20190324_104010.jpg