chaostactics

Help: My coraline algae only grows "underground"?

Coraline algae in my tank is plentiful... under my sand bed only. Established coraline on my rocks doesn't seem to shrink but it definitely doesnt grow. I never get coraline algae build up in my glass except for right at the sand bed and about an inch/inch and a half below. 

I dont have an crazy clean up crew or anything and I've let the glass go for almost two weeks between cleaning and not a single spot of purple except on the glass that's covered by the sand bed.

What gives? 🤔

SETUP

Im 40 gal mostly softie with some LPS that does grow albeit slowly. 

Radion gen 4 xr30

IM 40 with upgraded return and MP for flow

BRS 2 part dosing on brs pumps controlled by Apex

Skimmer, bio pellet reactor, carbon reactor, fuge, and purigen

Water changes every 3-4 weeks

38 minutes ago, chaostactics said:

not a single spot of purple except on the glass that's covered by the sand bed

Are you sure that it's not cyano on the glass.  How hard is it to scrape off?

Not sure, maybe light related.  Maybe a biofilm is preventing it from forming on exposed areas. :unsure:

Even though coralline algae is photosynthetic, you can see (on my rocks) that it prefers shaded areas to lighted areas.  I assume something similar is happening in your tank.

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/100/060618b.jpg

In your tank, it's not actually underground.  If you dug a hole in the substrate, you wouldn't find coralline.  The glass sides do provide some light.

Are you able to post pics of what you’re seeing, that might be helpful... Also, how long has your tank been up and running? 

25 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Are you able to post pics of what you’re seeing, that might be helpful... Also, how long has your tank been up and running? 

Tank has been up at least 6 months. It was an IM 30 that I moved to an IM 40. The only real changes i made from the 30 gal to the 40 gal was replacing a gen 2 radion xr30 with a gen 4 xr30 and recently started running 2 part. But I've never gotten coraline before nor after the 2 part. I did get coraline in my 30 gal. 

On the left if where I moved some sand to the side when vacuuming the sand bed on the right is what it normally looks like, growing exclusively under the height of the sand bed on the glass. The straight (ish) nature of the coraline is due to where the sand was before vacuuming. 

20180723_144455.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm... do you happen to have a pic with your white lights... a little hard to tell what’s going on with the blues... 

Interesting.  Well there are many species of coralline...maybe the one you have prefers lower light for whatever reason?  My tank before I moved it used to grow it like crazy.  At first I thought it was pretty, but the scraping off the walls is killer on the arm.  

I did reboot my tank but it's just the faintest layers trying to take hold I think.  It'll just all of a sudden take over again I imagine--what triggers it is probably the maturity level of the tank.  I have heard some people never ever get to grow it tho.  

I have gotten loads of coralline algae growth in the last month or two. My tank is only around 5 and a half to 6 months old so it may be because it is becoming more mature. Idk, the only thing I changed in the last month was taking out any chemical filtration. I have just put it back in to see if this was the reason why. I will post a picture of all the growth tomorrow when my lights come back on. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, chaostactics said:

On the left if where I moved some sand to the side when vacuuming the sand bed on the right is what it normally looks like, growing exclusively under the height of the sand bed on the glass. The straight (ish) nature of the coraline is due to where the sand was before vacuuming. 

20180723_144455.jpg

I think it’s still hard to tell... are you sure it’s not cyano? That seems more likely to me at that location...

Just now, chaostactics said:

100% it's not cyano

Okay, I saw in a post that @Lawnman has coralline on his sandbed, maybe he can help. 

I've had coralline grow in between the glass and sand before. I've had to move the sand over to scrape it with a razor.

Was always worried about cutting my silicone when removing it.

It's not cyano, it's hard and only removed with a razor. I had a ton of it in my 15g. 

Quite interesting ... like someone stated before , there are many types of Carolline algae , how did you originally expose your tank to the algae ? Maybe the corolline is a very very slow grower and prefers shadier areas , so maybe try introducing a new strain from a friends tank that has plenty of it too spare , even a Lfs may give you a scraping . Make a slushy and add it , I normally put off my filtration a very little to make sure it settle in nooks and crannies and doesn't all just end up in my sump . 

On 8/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, BrentSA said:

Quite interesting ... like someone stated before , there are many types of Carolline algae , how did you originally expose your tank to the algae ? Maybe the corolline is a very very slow grower and prefers shadier areas , so maybe try introducing a new strain from a friends tank that has plenty of it too spare , even a Lfs may give you a scraping . Make a slushy and add it , I normally put off my filtration a very little to make sure it settle in nooks and crannies and doesn't all just end up in my sump . 

This was a transplanted tank, when from an IM 30 to an IM 40. Same rock and sand. I used to have to scrape the glass in my 30 once a week or more. 

I just have coralline in shaded areas in my tank. Too much lighting for it to thrive on exposed rock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, chaostactics said:

This was a transplanted tank, when from an IM 30 to an IM 40. Same rock and sand. I used to have to scrape the glass in my 30 once a week or more. 

Damn , well maybe try seeding your tank again or get that CorallineUp , i know there are a few products to boost its growth 

Still having this issue. Idgi. 

I water change about 20% water once every 3 weeks to a month with redsea coral pro. Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and phos are all 0. pH is 8.0-8.3 consistently, temp is stable around 79. 

On 8/9/2018 at 8:53 AM, HarryPotter said:

I just have coralline in shaded areas in my tank. Too much lighting for it to thrive on exposed rock. 

Helpful insight and i agree that can happen but i have a radion g4 pro 10" off the suface with lighting that doesn't exceed 50%

Screenshot_20190109-214510_Chrome.jpg

What is alkalinity like?  Maybe the only reason it grows there is because the sand is acting as a buffer.

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions