SaltCritters.com

20 gallon long lighting

canoman

Just finishing up my 20l reef tank and will be transferring  over my livestock soon. Im stuck on lighting and need some help. Reading through some previous threads i couldnt find the info i needed. so here we go. My lighting setups could possibly be the following

2 xr15 pros

2 hydra 26's

2 kessil 160we

maxspect rsx 150w

nanobox reef quad

My lfs carries all the above except for nanobox of course. I have the retro on my biocube and i know the quality of light but i cant wait 2-3 weeks for one. These are the lights i want to stick with so whats does everybody suggest ????

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, canoman said:

Just finishing up my 20l reef tank and will be transferring  over my livestock soon. Im stuck on lighting and need some help. Reading through some previous threads i couldnt find the info i needed. so here we go. My lighting setups could possibly be the following

2 xr15 pros

2 hydra 26's

2 kessil 160we

maxspect rsx 150w

nanobox reef quad

My lfs carries all the above except for nanobox of course. I have the retro on my biocube and i know the quality of light but i cant wait 2-3 weeks for one. These are the lights i want to stick with so whats does everybody suggest ????

Radions. ....... just my preference. 😊

19 hours ago, specore said:

There's a nice Nanobox Hybrid in the classifieds.  

The light is perfect but since i live in Canada the $$$ conversion is a little too much. 

Many other suggestions?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If I had the money to choose any  led lights, it would be Radion.

I am the opposite. I have an XR30 and I really dont like it. I was going to trade it for a Kessil 360 but I got the diffuser for it and it did make it better. But if I would have my choice I would take a kessil over the radion anytime. 

25 minutes ago, 05XRunner said:

I am the opposite. I have an XR30 and I really dont like it. I was going to trade it for a Kessil 360 but I got the diffuser for it and it did make it better. But if I would have my choice I would take a kessil over the radion anytime. 

The 1 downside of kessil and something the company should consider, u should not have to buy a controller for it. That should be built in or included.

It's why I didn't go kessil. Consumer shouldn't have to pay the price tag of the light, plus hanging kits, and then a controller.

That's why more ppl gravitate to the fixtures that you don't have to spend extra cash on a controller.

• Like 1

ehh. for me the controller isnt a deal breaker. I would just throw it on a timer and call it a day. i do wish they included the arm. but its not as bad as Ecotech charging $99 for a plastic mounting arm, or $65 for a sheet of paper and a plastic mount for it to diffuse it. only reason I got the radion is because I got a stupid good deal for it.

Kessils...

Love the form of fixtures themselves

The shimmer is unmatched

I personally like the shadowing (looks much more natural)

However I like more control over the color/spectrum with Nanobox, AI and Ecotech

47 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The 1 downside of kessil and something the company should consider, u should not have to buy a controller for it. That should be built in or included.

It's why I didn't go kessil. Consumer shouldn't have to pay the price tag of the light, plus hanging kits, and then a controller.

That's why more ppl gravitate to the fixtures that you don't have to spend extra cash on a controller.

My Kessils didn't require a controller.  Maybe the 80's and 160's are different, but the 360's had manual adjustments on the lights themselves.  

I personally went with a pair of Kessil A160we for my 20 long, and I'm very happy with them after about 3 weeks of use so far.

Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago (7/1) showing the whole setup.

20180701_101525.jpg

If you're looking for something more pocket friendly I a have a current orbit light over my 30 and it does just fine, I don't keep sps though.

Just saw at my LFS a aquatic life hybrid t5 with a hydra 26. What an amazing combo. It was over a fusion 20 with mix lps and sps setup. The employee said it do well over a 20l tank 

15 minutes ago, canoman said:

Just saw at my LFS a aquatic life hybrid t5 with a hydra 26. What an amazing combo. It was over a fusion 20 with mix lps and sps setup. The employee said it do well over a 20l tank