ReefCleaners.org

New to flower pot coral

Aurortpa

Hi, I am not new to reefs, but I have always stayed clear of flower pot corals because many years ago i read they were almost impossible to keep long term and have long polyp extensions that can hurt other coral.

Now one of my LFSs told me they have new species available that don’t extend as far. I also read conflicting info about placement and flow. Does anybody own one of these hardier flower pots? Where does yours like to be? Growth rate?

Was thinking either 2 midway points on the heightest rockwork with stronger random flow or on the bottom with gsp?  Flow is the most random there and mid-low.  

AFAB5015-EAC4-4448-BA5F-B1C6BBB6D5AD.thumb.jpeg.910ea05972481af988b9042daff313bc.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

Hi, I am not new to reefs, but I have always stayed clear of flower pot corals because many years ago i read they were almost impossible to keep long term and have long polyp extensions that can hurt other coral.

Now one of my LFSs told me they have new species available that don’t extend as far. I also read conflicting info about placement and flow. Does anybody own one of these hardier flower pots? Where does yours like to be? Growth rate?

Was thinking either 2 midway points on the heightest rockwork with stronger random flow or on the bottom with gsp?  Flow is the most random there and mid-low.  

AFAB5015-EAC4-4448-BA5F-B1C6BBB6D5AD.thumb.jpeg.910ea05972481af988b9042daff313bc.jpeg

I have a red Goniopora and a green Goniopora. Both of mine like a lot of light and a lot of flow. 

Never had one of the encrusting kind so I’m not sure about them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I have a red Goniopora and a green Goniopora. Both of mine like a lot of light and a lot of flow. 

Hmm I think mines encrusting 

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Where did you placed yours? 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Where did you placed yours? 

My green one started out in my 12 Gallon long so it was only about 6” away from the lights. Now it’s in my big reef on a platform in the sand under the Radions. 

The red one is mid way up the reef in my big tank.  

Both are in pretty high flow. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
36 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

My green one started out in my 12 Gallon long so it was only about 6” away from the lights. Now it’s in my big reef on a platform in the sand under the Radions. 

The red one is mid way up the reef in my big tank.  

Both are in pretty high flow. 

I run out of space and had to place my FP on the bottom, between two Kessil LEDs. 

• Like 1
Floundering_Around

I have a green one (goni. polyformis) and a red "micro" (not sure which type yet). After placing them next to each other, my polyformis hasn't opened up like it used to. Both are towards the top of the tank with pretty good flow. My red one is weird and only half of the polyps extend whereas the other half stay close to the skeleton.

• Like 1

I've had my flower pot 2 months now. Its in the mid range of my tank, and like medium flow. Its twice its original size now. I'm feeding it some green liquid in a bottle from my lfs. Good luck with yours.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

So funny to started this thread, I was JUST thinking the same thing!!  I always loved them, but same thing when I got into this hobby (2000) everyone told me to stay away, but now I see them for sale everywhere.  It would be nice if we could get one.  :happydance:

• Like 1
Floundering_Around
6 hours ago, sadie said:

So funny to started this thread, I was JUST thinking the same thing!!  I always loved them, but same thing when I got into this hobby (2000) everyone told me to stay away, but now I see them for sale everywhere.  It would be nice if we could get one.  :happydance:

My goni was one of the first frags I bought, accidentally. The store was packed for a Thanksgiving sale and I was rushing. I mistook it as a zoanthid (stupid of me looking back). Luckily, I had researched coral and watched TIdal Garden 's videos. I had a teensy hiccup nearing the six month mark (I wasn't feeding enough) but we made it through!

16 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Thank you for the info thus far.  Are direct feedings key?  How frequently?

I don't really spot fee my gonis. I broadcast feed the tank. At first, I just used reef chili but now I use a mix of reef chili and benepets every day or every other day. (the mix also feeds my pocilipora and my gorgonian)

• Thanks 1