Cultivated Reef

Baby Crocea or Maxima identify

Laurenscube

Laurenscube

Got my first clam today 🤗 the shop has said its a cross between Crocea and Max came from a clam farm where they are all mixed ?

Anyone seen this before and can offer any advice on care?

Grooves look very Max....?

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7728.JPG

IMG_7729.JPG

IMG_7727.JPG

• Wow 1
Laurenscube

Also just seen the clam flip over not too long after lights out ? Helped him back up

Is he trying to move and find his spot?

Was nice and firm on the rock frag when he entered the tank

Looks nice an open seems to be doing well.

Nothing strong enough to knock him over i dont believe

RayWhisperer

Judging by scutes, markings, and fluting, I’d say it’s a pure maxima. It’s possible it’s a hybrid. However, I doubt it’s a crocea hybrid. If it were anything, it’d be a maxima x squamossa. 

If there is a spot in the tank you’d like to keep it permanently, I’d suggest moving it there now. Once it finds a spot it’s happy, it’ll attach itself with byssal threads. After that, it becomes very hard to move it without damaging the animal.

• Like 1
Laurenscube
2 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Judging by scutes, markings, and fluting, I’d say it’s a pure maxima. It’s possible it’s a hybrid. However, I doubt it’s a crocea hybrid. If it were anything, it’d be a maxima x squamossa. 

If there is a spot in the tank you’d like to keep it permanently, I’d suggest moving it there now. Once it finds a spot it’s happy, it’ll attach itself with byssal threads. After that, it becomes very hard to move it without damaging the animal.

Thank you RayWhisperer

Hasn’t moved again since the flipping and helping him up.

He is on the mid level of the rock where I would like him to be so hopefully he will enjoy that area too.

Still on the rock frag so hopefully easier to move the surface under him if he’s not doing well in that area.

Thanks for the identity view 

Any advice on feeding as it’s very small only an inch and a half ? Heard phytoplankton but mixed reviews on if that really benifits

26 minutes ago, Laurenscube said:

Thank you RayWhisperer

Hasn’t moved again since the flipping and helping him up.

He is on the mid level of the rock where I would like him to be so hopefully he will enjoy that area too.

Still on the rock frag so hopefully easier to move the surface under him if he’s not doing well in that area.

Thanks for the identity view 

Any advice on feeding as it’s very small only an inch and a half ? Heard phytoplankton but mixed reviews on if that really benifits

So, you bought something you couldn’t identify and now ask what to feed it? I’m just gonna ask because, really? 

Laurenscube
5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

So, you bought something you couldn’t identify and now ask what to feed it? I’m just gonna ask because, really? 

Calm down Bro !

Im feeding Brightwell phyto greens for him, I know hes small and what to feed him up

If you read what i said .....I have heard mixed reviews on Phytoplankton for clams when young whether its really needed so using this forum (like most normal people do) to get advice......

I wont always just rely on shops advice, I also will seek advice from fellow reefers who have many clams before .......

Also with my comment on him flipping i understand they do this but was not aware they would do it so soon 

Any more problems ?

RayWhisperer

Phyto won’t really hurt, but it won’t help much either. Most reaserch I’ve read seems to point to smaller food items being of most benefit. Things like bacterioplankton. It is my understanding, they do filter phyto, but most is just rejected as “false poop”. However, phyto, even dead phyto, does serve as a food source for all kinds of micro fauna in the tank. My suggestion is to feed it in moderation, though. 

IME, your best food source for any clam, regardless of size, is fish. The more fish you have living in your system, the better. Of course, I’m not suggesting you throw twenty fish in your tank to keep your clam happily stuffed. (Ok, that came out pretty perverted.) The reality is, you just need to find “that balance” of just enough nutrients, without it being too much. I’m afraid nobody can tell you, as each tank is different. However, I try and shoot for nitrates around 10, and phosphates slightly above NSW. You’ll notice, I didn’t give you a number. Again, each system is different. Some handle phos better than others. I try to max that out, without growing algae. In your case, that may be 0.005, 0.03 (both considered to be ok ranges to keep a tank at), or as high as 0.1 (though I wouldn’t suggest getting too close to that amount.) it’s a balance game. Too much phos, and you not only fuel algae growth, but limit the animals ability to calcify (grow), as well.  

So, now that I’ve thouroghly confused you, just try for nitrates of around 10, and phos around 0.03, and see where that gets you to start.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Laurenscube
11 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Phyto won’t really hurt, but it won’t help much either. Most reaserch I’ve read seems to point to smaller food items being of most benefit. Things like bacterioplankton. It is my understanding, they do filter phyto, but most is just rejected as “false poop”. However, phyto, even dead phyto, does serve as a food source for all kinds of micro fauna in the tank. My suggestion is to feed it in moderation, though. 

IME, your best food source for any clam, regardless of size, is fish. The more fish you have living in your system, the better. Of course, I’m not suggesting you throw twenty fish in your tank to keep your clam happily stuffed. (Ok, that came out pretty perverted.) The reality is, you just need to find “that balance” of just enough nutrients, without it being too much. I’m afraid nobody can tell you, as each tank is different. However, I try and shoot for nitrates around 10, and phosphates slightly above NSW. You’ll notice, I didn’t give you a number. Again, each system is different. Some handle phos better than others. I try to max that out, without growing algae. In your case, that may be 0.005, 0.03 (both considered to be ok ranges to keep a tank at), or as high as 0.1 (though I wouldn’t suggest getting too close to that amount.) it’s a balance game. Too much phos, and you not only fuel algae growth, but limit the animals ability to calcify (grow), as well.  

So, now that I’ve thouroghly confused you, just try for nitrates of around 10, and phos around 0.03, and see where that gets you to start.

😂 Thank you i get what your saying YOUR input has been very helpful  😁 I remember you have helped me in the past i remember your cute logo !

Orangutran

I got a small clam (1.5" as well) recently and although the store said it was a crocea, I'm not too sure if it was. Good idea to confirm on the forums. Anyway, my clam only last 3 days in my tank, because a fricken hermit ate it!!! Most expensive hermit food ever! 😭 Anyway, good luck with yours (looks beautiful!), and I hope to get another when my tank issues are resolved (and I banish that one hermit to the sump)

Laurenscube

Hey i remember you ! Bummer ! Heard not great with clams!

I actually have a big hermit not sure if you can see in the pictures. Practically same size as the clam !!

When i placed the clam in he checked him out but didnt seem to bothered.....now im nervous 😳.....

Luckly i work from home so i spend most of the day checking out the tank so i will keep an eye !

• Like 1
Orangutran
3 minutes ago, Laurenscube said:

Hey i remember you ! Bummer ! Heard not great with clams!

I actually have a big hermit not sure if you can see in the pictures. Practically same size as the clam !!

When i placed the clam in he checked him out but didnt seem to bothered.....now im nervous 😳.....

Luckly i work from home so i spend most of the day checking out the tank so i will keep an eye !

Yeah I have been busy at work recently, and disappeared off the forums. Anyway, it was only one individual that ate it, an electric blue leg hermit, the others were uninterested! Keep an eye out on yours! 🙂 Clams are damn expensive here, and I can imagine it being the same there too! Btw - Go England! 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

Yeah I have been busy at work recently, and disappeared off the forums. Anyway, it was only one individual that ate it, an electric blue leg hermit, the others were uninterested! Keep an eye out on yours! 🙂 Clams are damn expensive here, and I can imagine it being the same there too! Btw - Go England! 

That hermit should die a slow, miserable death 🙂

• Haha 1
Laurenscube
1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

£69 for the baby clam never seen one so cheap and had always wanted so was so pleased when i saw it.

Yes we are very proud of England cant wait for the game on wednesday !

• Wow 1
RayWhisperer

Electric blue hermits are dicks. I never buy them for a reason. Most reef safe crabs won’t usually bother a clam, beyond cleaning it’s shell. However, if the clam is on its way out, every scavenger in the tank will be all over it in minutes. Fish, OTOH, can really ruin a collection of clams. I had a green coris wrasse eat 5 clams before I figured out it was the culprit. Lol. I’m full of perversion, eat 5 clams..... I really don’t try, it just comes naturally to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/9/2018 at 1:18 PM, specore said:

That hermit should die a slow, miserable death 🙂

Haha, if it were bigger, I could have crab legs!

On 7/9/2018 at 2:38 PM, Laurenscube said:

£69 for the baby clam never seen one so cheap and had always wanted so was so pleased when i saw it.

Yes we are very proud of England cant wait for the game on wednesday !

My baby clam was a $100 here, but I've seen larger ones for $150-200.

Hopefully it'll be England against France!

21 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Electric blue hermits are dicks. I never buy them for a reason. Most reef safe crabs won’t usually bother a clam, beyond cleaning it’s shell. However, if the clam is on its way out, every scavenger in the tank will be all over it in minutes. Fish, OTOH, can really ruin a collection of clams. I had a green coris wrasse eat 5 clams before I figured out it was the culprit. Lol. I’m full of perversion, eat 5 clams..... I really don’t try, it just comes naturally to me.

I bet all the cool looking crabs are dicks! They probably get all the hermit chicks too! 😎

RayWhisperer

Not all. Halloween hermits are among the nicest looking hermits, IMO. They are very easy going, for a hermit, and among the safest, too. The only problem with them is the shell. They are very selective. I’ve never seen them use just any random shell. For some reason, it’s always gotta be a conch type shell, with a wide, flat opening.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Not all. Halloween hermits are among the nicest looking hermits, IMO. They are very easy going, for a hermit, and among the safest, too. The only problem with them is the shell. They are very selective. I’ve never seen them use just any random shell. For some reason, it’s always gotta be a conch type shell, with a wide, flat opening.

Actually, I have a couple of halloween hermits, and yes, they are awesome! Even when the electric blue was chowing down on the clam, the halloweens did not join in. So right about the shells too, I have not seen them switch!!