SaltCritters.com

When to add a clean up crew?

Reaperxvii

Reaperxvii

Hey guys!

I just had a really quick question on when is an appropriate time to begin adding in a clean up crew? I'm currently looking at a bonded pair of fire shrimp and a trio of electric orange hermit crabs but I just added the first fish yesterday.

Here is a link to my tank --->

Thank you!

I added CUC first. Right after the cycle was complete. But, my CUC only consists of a few types of snails. They have been the BOMB at keeping what little algae I have at bay. I'd say if your cycles complete. Add the CUC whenever you want. You have fish in there already so why not. 

• Like 1

I cycled my tank for about 5 weeks, while Dave from nano box made my light. So, i cycled without a light. That meant i had no algae. At week six i added my light, ran it on a preset that has it running for 12 hours. After a week and a half, I started to see diatom algae appear. Close to week eight i added four rear legged hermits and one trocus snail. Theyve been in my innovative marine 10 for about 5 days now. In such short time theve been able to do away with 80% of diatoms.

IMO, there is no "when do i add", its "when is it needed". In other words, when you start seeing algae appear. Adding them too soon will just make them starve.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Reaperxvii said:

Hey guys!

I just had a really quick question on when is an appropriate time to begin adding in a clean up crew? I'm currently looking at a bonded pair of fire shrimp and a trio of electric orange hermit crabs but I just added the first fish yesterday.

Here is a link to my tank --->

I would not consider Fire Shrimp part of a CUC.  They are ornamental carnivores.  I think that when film algae starts up, you will need snails.  

I would not consider Fire Shrimp as part of CUC.  They are ornamental carnivores and add to bioload.  Your hermits will clean up uneaten food.  Hermits will not deal with film algae.  You will need some snails, but you should wait until algae begins to grow.

• Like 1

I wouldn't add shrimp right away as they are sensitive to changes in a new tank.

Hermits can be added now. Snails when algae is available for them to eat.