Pod Your Reef

Krish87

@Krish87, I find that the bubbles stay lower in the system part of the day, then increase after feeding times. Seems to be working well for me... I typically empty the skimmer cup  (and change my filter floss) once every day or two. I do make an effort to place the tubing so it is coming up on the right side of the skimmer, so it doesn’t get pinched.

9 hours ago, banasophia said:

@Krish87, I find that the bubbles stay lower in the system part of the day, then increase after feeding times. Seems to be working well for me... I typically empty the skimmer cup  (and change my filter floss) once every day or two. I do make an effort to place the tubing so it is coming up on the right side of the skimmer, so it doesn’t get pinched.

OK that means we are on the same page. I've noticed the bubbles come up to the rim once done with feeding and some other random times where there no particular changes done. It does work very well for me too. Took 2 weeks in the beginning to break in, but now it manages to remove the waste very efficiently. On an average I've noticed that I empty the cup every 3 days (that being said, it gets close to 3/4 full).

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply @banasophia, much appreciated 🙂 

9 hours ago, Krish87 said:

OK that means we are on the same page. I've noticed the bubbles come up to the rim once done with feeding and some other random times where there no particular changes done. It does work very well for me too. Took 2 weeks in the beginning to break in, but now it manages to remove the waste very efficiently. On an average I've noticed that I empty the cup every 3 days (that being said, it gets close to 3/4 full).

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply @banasophia, much appreciated 🙂 

🙂 Yes, I’m glad to compare notes!!! I’m thinking of replacing the airstone for the first time tomorrow to see what happens... says to do it monthly, but I haven’t done so yet since it seems to be working okay. Have you been replacing yours?

2 hours ago, banasophia said:

🙂 Yes, I’m glad to compare notes!!! I’m thinking of replacing the airstone for the first time tomorrow to see what happens... says to do it monthly, but I haven’t done so yet since it seems to be working okay. Have you been replacing yours?

Yes! I did. This is my second airstone. My first one kinda started losing the color and leaned more towards a darker shade. I changed the airstone then. The new one is beter than the Coralife one. 

This is what I got - economical and good quality as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Biocube-Skimmer-LimeWood-Airstone-wooden-2x3-4-3-pack-wood/282575419006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

19 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Yes! I did. This is my second airstone. My first one kinda started losing the color and leaned more towards a darker shade. I changed the airstone then. The new one is beter than the Coralife one. 

This is what I got - economical and good quality as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Biocube-Skimmer-LimeWood-Airstone-wooden-2x3-4-3-pack-wood/282575419006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Changed out my airstone today (with a new Coralife one), and it started bubbling more than it has lately. I will definitely plan to replace monthly. 

Just now, banasophia said:

Changed out my airstone today (with a new Coralife one), and it started bubbling more than it has lately. I will definitely plan to replace monthly. 

Perfect! Glad to know. 

Yeah that skimmer is doing good work! Its basically content to mind that its doing well when we see the bubbles correctly hitting that rim.

And here are some pics that I clicked today.

This particular frag - I had 4 polyps when I got it, and now its easily 10+ and growing...

1347361277_ArmorofGod.thumb.jpg.00f2e6deb16e574b6983078249227566.jpg

This one as well...

1978671894_WhammyWatermelon.thumb.jpg.8ba177dd73f10372f47e74a5aa7ef3b8.jpg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Yeah that skimmer is doing good work! Its basically content to mind that its doing well when we see the bubbles correctly hitting that rim.

And here are some pics that I clicked today.

This particular frag - I had 4 polyps when I got it, and now its easily 10+ and growing...

1347361277_ArmorofGod.thumb.jpg.00f2e6deb16e574b6983078249227566.jpg

This one as well...

1978671894_WhammyWatermelon.thumb.jpg.8ba177dd73f10372f47e74a5aa7ef3b8.jpg

Wow, beautiful! They look very happy!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

I did some additions to my tank. Will share pics soon 🙂 

@banasophia - please share more pics of your BioCube when you get time. How is the tank doing?

Thanks for checking in. Soooo I’m having my first real issues with my tank. A few weeks ago I switched from Chemipure Elite and Purigen to Chemipure Blue, thinking it was roughly equivalent, but they are not the same and I seem to have thrown off the balance in my tank. Apparently Chemipure Elite has GFO and Chemipure Blue does not. I switched back, but still seem to be having increased nitrates and phosphates and now I’m getting some serious diatoms (which I didn’t really have too much of in the beginning).. I realized this morning that it’s probably because I moved the media around to different spots when I changed the the media and I think it’s changing how the water flows through it. Plus I’ve have elevated temps due to the summer weather up into the 82-83 range. I ordered a chiller called Chill Solutions that looks like it could be good, but I’m going on vacation tomorrow for a week so I won’t have the chiller in time. I’m about to makes some changes to my media right now but it’s terrible to do this right before leaving on a trip. The guy that will be looking after my tank while I’m away is really good, so hopefully he’ll be able to prevent any major problems. 

Will see see if I can get some pics to post later. 

Vacation is a bit stressful with a reef tank!

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, banasophia said:

Thanks for checking in. Soooo I’m having my first real issues with my tank. A few weeks ago I switched from Chemipure Elite and Purigen to Chemipure Blue, thinking it was roughly equivalent, but they are not the same and I seem to have thrown off the balance in my tank. Apparently Chemipure Elite has GFO and Chemipure Blue does not. I switched back, but still seem to be having increased nitrates and phosphates and now I’m getting some serious diatoms (which I didn’t really have too much of in the beginning).. I realized this morning that it’s probably because I moved the media around to different spots when I changed the the media and I think it’s changing how the water flows through it. Plus I’ve have elevated temps due to the summer weather up into the 82-83 range. I ordered a chiller called Chill Solutions that looks like it could be good, but I’m going on vacation tomorrow for a week so I won’t have the chiller in time. I’m about to makes some changes to my media right now but it’s terrible to do this right before leaving on a trip. The guy that will be looking after my tank while I’m away is really good, so hopefully he’ll be able to prevent any major problems. 

Will see see if I can get some pics to post later. 

Vacation is a bit stressful with a reef tank!

@banasophia How is the chiller doing? Is it a good buy?

5 hours ago, Krish87 said:

@banasophia How is the chiller doing? Is it a good buy?

Your tank is looking awesome!!!

The chiller seems to work well at maintaining the temp I set it at. Because my tank was having issues with algae and diatoms, and I was stressing out about the temp all the time, I decided to go for it and I have no regrets.

The algae and diatoms are clearing up nicely, but I can’t say how much was due to the chiller because I used a totally unscientific approach and made MANY changes at once to get it done - moved my vortech about 1/2 an inch, adjusted the position of my return nozzle, changed the vortechs settings a little bit, got an additional emerald crab, got a fighting conch and some additional big nassarius snails, removed the chaeto and light from the back and added some additional matrix media so I could started dosing NOPOX which I started up on Monday.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:50 PM, banasophia said:

Your tank is looking awesome!!!

The chiller seems to work well at maintaining the temp I set it at. Because my tank was having issues with algae and diatoms, and I was stressing out about the temp all the time, I decided to go for it and I have no regrets.

The algae and diatoms are clearing up nicely, but I can’t say how much was due to the chiller because I used a totally unscientific approach and made MANY changes at once to get it done - moved my vortech about 1/2 an inch, adjusted the position of my return nozzle, changed the vortechs settings a little bit, got an additional emerald crab, got a fighting conch and some additional big nassarius snails, removed the chaeto and light from the back and added some additional matrix media so I could started dosing NOPOX which I started up on Monday.

Thanks a lot. I did a comprehensive cleaning last weekend. Got rid of all algae on glass, stirred the sand, and ensured no detritus anywhere. I guess that's a major reason as to why it looks much better now. I won't say I'm seeing a crazy growth in corals, but I do see a steady growth to be honest, which is perfectly fine for me. I was thinking about getting a chiller, but I was able to take care of the temp swings and another few weeks and then we are back to normal weather, in fact one where I would need to get the heater into the tank. 

Glad to know that you are seeing an improvement in the tank. As of now, I'm only doing timely water changes and I also think I want to keep it a little simple for now. I would love to learn about your experience with the recent dosing you started.

10 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Thanks a lot. I did a comprehensive cleaning last weekend. Got rid of all algae on glass, stirred the sand, and ensured no detritus anywhere. I guess that's a major reason as to why it looks much better now. I won't say I'm seeing a crazy growth in corals, but I do see a steady growth to be honest, which is perfectly fine for me. I was thinking about getting a chiller, but I was able to take care of the temp swings and another few weeks and then we are back to normal weather, in fact one where I would need to get the heater into the tank. 

Glad to know that you are seeing an improvement in the tank. As of now, I'm only doing timely water changes and I also think I want to keep it a little simple for now. I would love to learn about your experience with the recent dosing you started.

Yeah I would think you could get by without a chiller in Seattle. I’m not getting a lot of coral growth yet either, but I don’t want them to go too crazy anyway since it’s a small tank. 

I’ll let you know how it goes with the NOPOX. I had purchased the Red Sea Nitrate and Phosphate test kit that they recommend you use when you do the NOPOX, but the glass vials were broken... just got the replacements from Amazon this evening and looking forward to testing my water. Im starting slow just doing 1/3 to 1/2 the dose here in the beginning, not sure how long it takes to build up the denitrifying bacteria population. 

23 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah I would think you could get by without a chiller in Seattle. I’m not getting a lot of coral growth yet either, but I don’t want them to go too crazy anyway since it’s a small tank. 

I’ll let you know how it goes with the NOPOX. I had purchased the Red Sea Nitrate and Phosphate test kit that they recommend you use when you do the NOPOX, but the glass vials were broken... just got the replacements from Amazon this evening and looking forward to testing my water. Im starting slow just doing 1/3 to 1/2 the dose here in the beginning, not sure how long it takes to build up the denitrifying bacteria population. 

That is good to hear! I totally agree to what you said - I don't want a crazy growth either because the tank is small. I think everyone is established as of now and just thriving. The only crazy growth is on my Zoas. The frag plug is completely covered and the its encrusting over the rock. Also, the Green Star Polyps - they have filled the piece of the tonga rock completely. I got another small tonga rock and will frag a piece and stick it on there 🙂 I'd say slow . . . but interesting developments so far! 

The Love for SPS

I dared to get some easy SPS for my BioCube. To my pleasant surprise, I must say that they are doing very well 🙂

As a latest addition, I added  4 beginner SPS corals on the top of my rockwork. Now its truly a mixed reef nano. From soft corals to LPS, the vivid Zoas on the rock and now an arch like design on the top with these SPS corals certainly adds a splash of color to the nano tank along with the wonderful inhabitants of this ecosystem.

POCILLOPORA

Pocillopora.thumb.jpg.1c56346c6271822eaa8f1856c94ccee3.jpg

STYLOPHORA

Stylophora.thumb.jpg.216bbb26f7921eeffe9d48723ed8fbce.jpg

Now its time to wait and watch how these wonderful underwater living things come together!

• Like 1

Wow, very nice! I especially love the pocillopora, and your euphilias are looking really good. I’m so eager to see how theses SPS do in our tanks with our stock lighting. I just added some to my tank last weekend, too (montis and chalice). 

9 hours ago, banasophia said:

Wow, very nice! I especially love the pocillopora, and your euphilias are looking really good. I’m so eager to see how theses SPS do in our tanks with our stock lighting. I just added some to my tank last weekend, too (montis and chalice). 

Exactly! That's what I want to see as well. How will these thrive / grow with the stock lighting 🙂 

29 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Exactly! That's what I want to see as well. How will these thrive / grow with the stock lighting 🙂 

The issue in my tank is that my torch is a mean bastard sometimes and forms sweepers to sting the other corals near the top with it... so I may not have much luck. 

7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

The issue in my tank is that my torch is a mean bastard sometimes and forms sweepers to sting the other corals near the top with it... so I may not have much luck. 

Oh you've the orange torch? 

It’s a green one. I had three others in there too, but I moved them to my IM Nuvo 10 last weekend cuz it was getting way to tentacly in there! 

1 minute ago, banasophia said:

It’s a green one. I had three others in there too, but I moved them to my IM Nuvo 10 last weekend cuz it was getting way to tentacly in there! 

Wow! I also have a torch (Indo-Peach Tip/Green Body) but that guy stays isolated and its on a separate rock piece. I had moved things around a few times until I felt that everyone is strategically placed and there won't be any unforeseen warfare. What I want to understand is - when do the Euphyliias get agressive, is there a particular driving factor for the sweepers to come out or does it happen every night when the lights go off! I've been doing some night rounds to see what goes on in the tank but I haven't found anything concerning yet! 

Just now, Krish87 said:

Wow! I also have a torch (Indo-Peach Tip/Green Body) but that guy stays isolated and its on a separate rock piece. I had moved things around a few times until I felt that everyone is strategically placed and there won't be any unforeseen warfare. What I want to understand is - when do the Euphyliias get agressive, is there a particular driving factor for the sweepers to come out or does it happen every night when the lights go off! I've been doing some night rounds to see what goes on in the tank but I haven't found anything concerning yet! 

Well for me it’s just because my torch is disproportionately large for my tank haha but I like it. 

CC6643FF-B698-4187-8ADB-29C2F415F506.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1