inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 13.5 Peninsula Office Tank

McCune

So I have been in the planning stages for an office tank. I was able to score a nice used Fluval Evo 13.5. Tank has one side painted black so I’ll be scraping that all off as I will be doing a peninsula style setup. Glass has a few scratches but when you get it for next to nothing I can live with them.

Equipment 

For the stand I am going to be using my old current Solana stand. The stand is black right now and I am planning on putting a piece of granite on the top because the original wood one swelled and looks like crap. Once I have the granite on the stand I will decide it is should stay black or if it will look better another color.

I was able to find an Apex lite system and plan to use that to run the system with lots of automation. 

I have a Tunze Osmolator that has been sitting around for a few years. I have used these on all my tanks and love how they have built in redundancy. 

For the filtration i took everything Fluval and tossed that out. I purchased the Intank media basket for the first chamber. The second chamber I am

thinking I will possibly run a fuge with cheato.

For the light I went with a 18-24” Current Orbit Marine led. I purchased the tank mount so I could have the light suspended above the tank. Not

an expensive light but not

looking to keep anything that requires high light.

For the return pump I am thinking about a  Sicce 1.0 or one of the new IM mightyjet DC controllable pumps.

I still have not purchased a new pump because I have not been able to see one of the IM pumps in person so just waiting for the local store to get them in and I will decide from there.

For my rockwork I am going to use rock that has been in my current system since January. Tank has fish in it but no corals so that rock work is still white green not much purple coraline on the rocks.

• Like 1

Spent some time yesterday cleaning the tank up. Previous owner painted one of the sides of the tank black. Tank was a mess and looked like crap. Scraped all the paint off the side and the printed design from Fluval.

So I found out the tank has a few scratches on it. I can’t really complain for the price I paid. 

Once i I get the tank all cleaned up I will start on cleaning and painting the stand. I also plan on building something to mount all the controllers in the stand neatly.

Messing around with the rock I have at home. I think I found the scape on the first try let me know what you think6294D71A-22CB-4AF8-98D1-EEAB06764022.thumb.jpeg.9754333efb8966287407c6ffbf6f4d4a.jpegThis is the view from the front 

DEF468B7-1E24-4104-8901-13D47DEA0DED.thumb.jpeg.db7bac6befc82a4d2842de626d53349d.jpeg

Left side of the tank

D3C5FF36-6DBB-44C1-A340-873257FD2ECB.thumb.jpeg.1eadcd6da990111cdd4858e4e20952bf.jpeg

Right side

04A6E647-53B2-4DB7-B45F-DB57049328B0.thumb.jpeg.5557cc1f8644198e792c928f1b265f0d.jpeg

Top down view

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, specore said:

I like the scape.  Having a tank in the office is awesome 🙂

The tank will be in my office in school so I’m hoping it gets students to stop in and check it out.

7 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

You'll like that ATO. I unfortunately had to pay full price for mine. What you paid is a STEAL!! 

I almost grabbed two but my wife put the brakes on the because of all the other stuff I bought for the tank recently 

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, McCune said:

The tank will be in my office in school so I’m hoping it gets students to stop in and check it out.

I almost grabbed two but my wife put the brakes on the because of all the other stuff I bought for the tank recently 

I just looked and it's not on sale anymore....should have pulled the trigger a few days ago. My wife said the same thing.

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I just looked and it's not on sale anymore....should have pulled the trigger a few days ago. My wife said the same thing.

I didn’t ask if I could order the first one haha but did for the second that I didn’t get 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, McCune said:

I didn’t ask if I could order the first one haha but did for the second that I didn’t get 

Well I had already ordered a new filter and a new pump :smilie:. I saw the top off after I had placed the order and she gave me dagger eyes so I decided I should wait lol

Christopher Marks

I like the aquascape a lot, great layout for a peninsula tank. Any plans for sand?

That's awesome that you will get to share it with so many people in your school!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I like the aquascape a lot, great layout for a peninsula tank. Any plans for sand?

That's awesome that you will get to share it with so many people in your school!

The tank will have sand for sure. Probably Fiji pink. I literately was messing around this morning and picked up two rocks out of the huge bin I have and came up with that. 

I need to get butt in gear with the stand. I am going to paint it, place the top with a piece of granite and create an equipment panel inside to make it look neat and display the electronics through the glass door 

• Like 1

So for equipment I need I am looking at a new return pump that offers more flow. I have been seriously considering the IM mightyjet. I like the idea of having controllability that this pump will offer. I am looking st pairing this with a random flow generator 66B9525B-3379-412D-9783-D65C24A87F7A.thumb.png.943baf4793278537f53bc6a78c33f3f0.png

I ditched the stock lid so I am looking at picking up an artfully acrylic top to keep my fish friends where they belong. 

So all the equipment for the tank is here starting to get it all together and hoping to have the tank in the office the end of this week or beginning of next week just before schools starts. 

I am debating not even using the Neptune Apex lite. I may just sell it and use to to fund stuff in the tank. We will see. All I was going to do was use to it control temperature and turn lights on and off. Still debating this.

• 2 weeks later...

So this build has been chugging along got pretty much all my equipment purchased and in place.

Painted the stand this weekend and I have to say the color is awesome it is called Anchor steel. Flat almost chaulk paint like finish. Ripped off the old wood top which was warped and slapped on a piece of granite. Looks great but who knew stone would be heavy. 

Inside the stand I make some simple mounting boards to hold all the equipment and give it a clean tidy look. The ATO reservoir fits just barely but looks good now that it is in place.

The tank is going to get moved into my office end of this week of beginning of next week. Rock and sand will be pulled from my system which has been running since January. 

Picked up a nice pair of Picasso’s for this tank and a few Zoas, mushroom, maxi mini, rock flower, and a toadstool. Tank should be all together next week and I will post up pics

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the tank running but I am having an issue with my Apex. I bought it used and it was still under the previous owners account. I wiped the Apex but still can not connect it to fusion. I tried to just use it for the time being but the Apex  keeps randomly turning off and on outlets. So aggravated right now 

🤬

One of my favorite parts of having a nano again is the variety of inverts you are able to keep and view on a daily basis. Don’t get me wrong I like having a huge tank too because of the large fish and easy of maintenance.

Each has its own unique benefits and also its own challenges but right now I have the best of both worlds. 

Hope you enjoy the pics I will try to get more of the corals I put in the tank so far once they all settle in.

• Like 2

So I picked up a current USA EFlux dc powerhead for the tank. I am incredibly impressed by this little pump. The size of the pump is tiny and not very intrusive in the tank. The pump is completely silent. The pump provides great flow on the tank. Right now I am using the wave function and I have a rolling  wave in the tank. Corals are gently swaying in the tank. Setup was a breeze since I connected it to my Loop controller that came with the light.