Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wrasse: Cirrhilabrus Lanceolatus?

chunkylovah

chunkylovah

My LFS is getting one in for $60. I've been looking for a wrasse for a while, but I have a 24"x24" 34g dt, which sort of limits my choices on wrasses. I was wondering if anyone has owned one or has any basic information on them. The picture he showed me of it looked like this one Link. But all the other pictures I see online of them don't look that nice, so it makes me skeptical.

Pintail fairy wrasse. Beautiful and peaceful fish, even for a fairy wrasse. 

Male in picture. If this comes in and you can get it for $60, jump on it. 

image.thumb.png.60f8248895c6911d262806093feb363b.png

BTW, link doesn't work. 

chunkylovah
27 minutes ago, Ebn said:

Pintail fairy wrasse. Beautiful and peaceful fish, even for a fairy wrasse. 

Male in picture. If this comes in and you can get it for $60, jump on it. 

image.thumb.png.60f8248895c6911d262806093feb363b.png

BTW, link doesn't work. 

Fixed the link. The one you put up is gorgeous. Yeah when he told me the price and I went to double check what they were going for, I was pretty shocked. That's probably why I am feeling a bit skeptical haha

Link works now. The male that's in the picture from fishybusiness isn't true to colors. They're more like the picture of the one that I posted. They've been coming in at the LFS lately and the males all looks relatively similar. I haven't seen females show up with the males though, so possibly priced for females? 

chunkylovah
11 minutes ago, Ebn said:

Link works now. The male that's in the picture from fishybusiness isn't true to colors. They're more like the picture of the one that I posted. They've been coming in at the LFS lately and the males all looks relatively similar. I haven't seen females show up with the males though, so possibly priced for females? 

Awesome thanks for the heads up. Not sure if you would know but I was originally looking at the mccosker wrasse. Any idea how these two generally compare in terms of their color vibrancy in your experience? Since this is the last fish I can add I want to make it count! haha

Between the two, this one beats out the McCosker's in terms of vibrancy in the looks department, if it is indeed the correct fish. This one glows, whereas the McCosker not so much. 

• Thanks 1
luckie1966

I think this time of year is when there plentiful and the price comes down.   Go with Pintail definitely

just remember to have a top because wrasses are jumpers. Did some research on them and most are from deeper water

and when they get scared they  torpedo straight up.

• Thanks 1

I never had luck with wrasses altho I love their colors.  They either jump or don't like that my tank isn't fed enough for their really active lifestyle.  

chunkylovah

Lol so my LFS tried to play dumb when I went to pick up my fish. They tried to tell me this crescent tail wrasse was a pintail. $60 for a crescent tail still seemed like a decent deal so I just took it, but it's situations like these that make me really not trust LFS's...

Here's a picture of my new cirrhilabrus lunatus though!

DSC04606.jpg

DSC04625 (2).jpg

DSC04637.jpg

• Like 2

The lunatus is a better deal, they’re still more uncommon than the Isosceles, which is now the most common member of that entire complex. Their also the best fairy wrasse for a smaller tank because of their small size and somewhat cryptic nature. 

• Thanks 1
chunkylovah
2 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

The lunatus is a better deal, they’re still more uncommon than the Isosceles, which is now the most common member of that entire complex. Their also the best fairy wrasse for a smaller tank because of their small size and somewhat cryptic nature. 

Oh, that's good to hear! I am happy with the purchase either way. It really is a pretty fish and I like it's personality. "Cryptic nature" is a great way to explain it actually haha. Mine has been really calm and curious about everything. I swear it's watching me even when I am way across the room, it's a little off putting...

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, chunkylovah said:

Oh, that's good to hear! I am happy with the purchase either way. It really is a pretty fish and I like it's personality. "Cryptic nature" is a great way to explain it actually haha. Mine has been really calm and curious about everything. I swear it's watching me even when I am way across the room, it's a little off putting...

There Too Smart for there own good lol...🤪