Top Shelf Aquatics

What’s your pump cleaning method?

Aurortpa

So I got a new 1k icecap gyre, my first gyre and contacted Coral Vue to help me learn how to maintain it and they recommended watching the vid below.  OH MY GOODNESS, LOL, it seems all sorts of complicated!  Definitely different than my regular return pump maintenance.  

What is your pump maintenance routine?  Usually I just soak mine in a peroxide solution and then run in vinegar solution—SOMETIMES I take the propeller out for a toothbrushing. Can’t I just do that?!  Or not enough?

MainelyReefer

After 2 years of staring at my scale covered korallia 240 and heater I finally tried the vinegar soak a few weeks ago.  They came out looking good as new and working a whole lot more efficiently too! They are only used for making new water but never again will I let them get to such a sorry state, as the cleaning was as simple as soaking in 50 cents of vinegar.  I will admit I never clean my main displays return.  My mind was also blown when I figured out how to disassemble the wet side on my MP-10.  I would say your regular bathing/toothbrushing maintanence is sufficient, if not above and beyond what I do.  If I had to perform the maintanence shedule that guy in the video outlined on any piece of equitpment I wouldn't own it!

• Thanks 1

@GraniteReefer thanks for the reply, might I say that bounce in your avatar is gorgeous!!!  

Somebody recommended on my Tampa Bay reef FB group also said to try rinsing with a blast from the garden hose afterwards!

4 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

After 2 years of staring at my scale covered korallia 240 and heater I finally tried the vinegar soak a few weeks ago.  They came out looking good as new and working a whole lot more efficiently too! They are only used for making new water but never again will I let them get to such a sorry state, as the cleaning was as simple as soaking in 50 cents of vinegar.  I will admit I never clean my main displays return.  My mind was also blown when I figured out how to disassemble the wet side on my MP-10.  I would say your regular bathing/toothbrushing maintanence is sufficient, if not above and beyond what I do.

Lol. I’m on a year plus without cleaning my return sicce .5. I just figure I’ll buy a new pump for the return and clean the sicce so I can upgrade my salt mixing pump.

• Wow 1

I take it out and soak it in a water/vinegar mix. The hoses go in there too.

I then use bottle brushes to clean the hoses, toothbrush the impeller etc.

Rinse, hand dry quickly, return to tank. Takes 10mins.

I do this every 4 or so mnths.

• Thanks 1