Coral Vue Hydros

Cycling dry rock with MicroBacter7 and ammonia drops

coral reefer tx

coral reefer tx

Looking for advice cycling dry rock with MicroBacter7 and Dr Tim’s Amomnia drops.   

Getting back into the hobby, and my prior reef tanks a few years ago were cycled with live rock – this is my first time starting with dry rock.   Also planning on using MicroBacter7 for bacterial seeding and may also use some Dr. Tim’s Ammonia Chloride.   Not planning on using frozen shrimp.

I can find lots of information about using Either a bacteria solution OR ammonia drops --  but I can’t find specific info regarding using the two together.  

MicroBacter7 instructions for New tanks say to add the product daily for two weeks.   So I’m planning on doing that.   But it also seems like it would make sense to kick off the cycle with ammonia drops also.   So I’m  tentatively planning on an initial dose of Dr. Tims.  And maybe a 2nd and 3rd dose of Dr. Tims over the next week.   Will add ammonia to get to 2 ppm but will stay below 5 ppm. 

FWIW, I’m soaking a 2 inch Brightwell BioBlock in a solution MicroBacter7 – and I’ll add that seeded brick to the back compartment.  

Also planning on at least 50% of my initial water to be from someone else’s established tank. 

Live sand.   I won’t rinse it, but  may drain off some of the milky stuff since I’ll be adding bacteria solution. 

So daily MicroBacter7 per instructions but also total 2-3 doses of Ammonia.    Any suggestions for my dry rock cycle plan?   Any links or suggestions would be helpful.  

Thank you.

I cycled my tank pretty much the same way. But I also used the "seeded" Caribsea life rock. That would be the main difference. How I kicked it off was by adding rock, water and sand of course. Then on day one I started dosing the Microbacter7 per the instructions on the bottle. That same day (day one). I spiked the ammonia to 2ppm then didn't touch the tank for 2 weeks. No lights, no filter media, no testing, nothing. Just pump, power-head and heater. After that two weeks, my ammonia had hit 0 and my nitrates were spiking HIGH. I did a 75% water change and then started adding the MB7 just once a week. Immediately after the 75% water change I spiked the ammonia to 2ppm once again and waited 2 weeks (still adding the MB7 once a week). Tested the nitrates and saw they had spiked again (of course) and did another 75% water change and called it cycled. After that I added my CUC and started routine maintenance and a lighting cycle. A week after that started adding corals. So I waited a month long story short LOL. 

EDIT: I wanted to add that I include the MB7 in my routine maintenance every week after the water change I add 2.5 ML. 

coral reefer tx

Thanks for the info.   If you remember, did you add daily MicroBacter7 for that first two weeks?   Pretty sure that’s their instructions for New tanks.  

I wont add more than instructions say.  Lights and filters will be off on mine too.  

I didn’t follow the directions on the bottle of bacteria. I used the same Brand of bottled bac though. 

You can dose once with both the no3 and the bac just wait two weeks and repeat. Two weeks later you’ll be done. 

Here is is a good read regarding the subject.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

Just now, 1891Bro said:

I didn’t follow the directions on the bottle of bacteria. I used the same Brand of bottled bac though. 

You can dose once with both the no3 and the bac just wait two weeks and repeat. Two weeks later you’ll be done. 

Here is is a good read regarding the subject.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

BeAt you to it @ReefGoat  

• 3 weeks later...

I went by the link 1891Bro posted.

Dosed bottle of bacteria. Added ammonia to 2ppm. Tested over the next two weeks.

Once ammonia and nitrite were both 0, dosed another bottle of bacteria and added ammonia to 2ppm. This time around ammonia was down to 0 much faster, and I did a 95% water change. Then I added ammonia again to 2ppm just to make sure I had established my bacteria, and my ammonia was back to 0 within a day and a half.

Did another 95% water change then added my first fish 24 hours later.

Though my tank may have been cycled after the first couple weeks, I let it run for a month before my first fish were introduced. I wanted to be sure it was ready and completely cycled. I pretty much did the bacteria and ammonia dose and let it run for two weeks while testing, and just repeated it a second time to be sure.

I'd suggest reading the link posted above.

14 minutes ago, shoonjai said:

I went by the link 1891Bro posted.

Dosed bottle of bacteria. Added ammonia to 2ppm. Tested over the next two weeks.

Once ammonia and nitrite were both 0, dosed another bottle of bacteria and added ammonia to 2ppm. This time around ammonia was down to 0 much faster, and I did a 95% water change. Then I added ammonia again to 2ppm just to make sure I had established my bacteria, and my ammonia was back to 0 within a day and a half.

Did another 95% water change then added my first fish 24 hours later.

Though my tank may have been cycled after the first couple weeks, I let it run for a month before my first fish were introduced. I wanted to be sure it was ready and completely cycled. I pretty much did the bacteria and ammonia dose and let it run for two weeks while testing, and just repeated it a second time to be sure.

I'd suggest reading the link posted above.

Oh man, I didn’t even use the whole bottle of bac, just whatever the dose was for my water volume. I think I still have a bottle of dead bacteria in a cabinet somewhere. 

23 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Oh man, I didn’t even use the whole bottle of bac, just whatever the dose was for my water volume. I think I still have a bottle of dead bacteria in a cabinet somewhere. 

I should've stated that I didn't use MicroBacter7. I used BioSpira the first time and Fritz the second time. Both of those bottles recommend dosing the whole for aquariums up to 30 gallons I believe. And mine is a 26 so it was perfect.