Cultivated Reef

Biocube 32 Lighting Upgrade

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Looking to upgrade my lights and pretty torn with the options. Hoping to hear some pros and cons from those who have already made the jump. 

-Steve’s LEDs sound like a great choice but have heard several stories of people have issues. Light quality seems great, worried about heat. 

-Nanobox also seems comparable but heard the same issues. 

Then there is the idea of topless, which intrigued me. Love the look and seems like the lighting can really expand the health of your tank. Then the questions becomes AI Prime or Kessil 160? Evaporation becoming a problem? Protecting fish from jumping out of the tank?

One thing is certain, I want to upgrade. Just hoping to hear your stories so I make the right move. I want to be able to keep as much as possible and while I may upgrade my tank down the road, this tank will always be up. 

Thanks in advance!

I have not heard much on heat for the B32's. If needed you can keep you swap the current stock fan and run with which ever kit you choose. 

The underside of the stock fan will have the dimensions. Look up on Digi-Key for a fan that is more powerful but more quite. This would solve anything you are worried about. You can also run the tank without the heater if you are running secondary pumps. 

If you run an open top just be aware that I would invest in a auto top off. 

Hope this helps! 

banasophia

For what it’s worth I think the lights seem really good as is on the LED Biocubes. My impression is that the lights on the older Biocubes really benefit from an upgrade. 

• Like 1