Pod Your Reef

Clown fish!

Reaperxvii

Reaperxvii

Hey guys! So I recently got my 57 gallon mixed reef up and running today, and while lm going to wait and make sure everything runs okay and the whole deal I'm looking at getting a clown pair for the tank. I'm really wanting a black clown fish and a dark orange clownfish. Currently I'm looking at any one of these.

Gladiator clown (if the mocha goes all black eventually then defiently a mocha)

Black ocellaris clown.

Blood orange hybrid clown ( the 6in max growth and supposed temperate make me alittle un easy, does anyone have experience with them? Would they bond with one of the two fish above?)

Thanks for reading!

I had both black and orange pairs in a 40g but they never directly interacted with each other—I’d be interested see if yours pair.  I assume they would given no mates.

sorry to jump on your post with a ?, but I have been thinking about getting 2 clowns.  When ppl say "bond" does that mean they will"breed"? And is there a difference between bonding and pairing? 

Can you have 2 clowns and not breed?  (I don't want to)

Reaperxvii

I dont know a lot about clownfish but from my understanding if you put in a pair they will eventually try to breed as one of the clownfish will change to a female over time. 

(If someone with more knowledge wants to chip in feel free! 🙂 )

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, sadie said:

sorry to jump on your post with a ?, but I have been thinking about getting 2 clowns.  When ppl say "bond" does that mean they will"breed"? And is there a difference between bonding and pairing? 

Can you have 2 clowns and not breed?  (I don't want to)

Bonding is mating/pairing off. Will they breed, eventually, will the fry survive- not unless you actively work hard at keeping the dry, otherwise they become food for the tank/die

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Reaperxvii said:

Hey guys! So I recently got my 57 gallon mixed reef up and running today, and while lm going to wait and make sure everything runs okay and the whole deal I'm looking at getting a clown pair for the tank. I'm really wanting a black clown fish and a dark orange clownfish. Currently I'm looking at any one of these.

Gladiator clown (if the mocha goes all black eventually then defiently a mocha)

Black ocellaris clown.

Blood orange hybrid clown ( the 6in max growth and supposed temperate make me alittle un easy, does anyone have experience with them? Would they bond with one of the two fish above?)

Thanks for reading!

I have a relative that has a huge 200 gallon tank. He tried pairing those two breeds of clowns but the clowns acted aggressively to each other and eventually one died after the other one chased him around the tank. You better get a pair of only one type of clown fish because clown fish don't really like other clowns that aren't the same species. 

• Wow 1

True percula and ocellaris are compatible

Ocellaris are compatible

True percula are compatible

Designers are compatible with any of these if they are either a true percula or ocellaris.

If they don't mate, its simply not a match.

The same aggression and non mating behaviour is often experienced with 2 true percs or 2 ocellaris.

That's clowns, just like humans, they don't always get along and pair off.