MrObscura

MrObscura's Nuvo 10

Some coral are struggling and I'm battling a bit of cyano, but I probably exaggerated how bad the tank looked... 

20181215_171729-01.jpeg

But the struggle is real and I don't want to document things only when they're going well, so here's my tenuis losing some flesh and I think my tort is as well. 

20181214_234040.jpg

• Sad 1

Does not look that bad.

Can we get a close up of the digitata? One of my favs.

23 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Does not look that bad.

Can we get a close up of the digitata? One of my favs.

It's a bubble gum, but it's cool in that it's more like the elusive pink smoothie digi with a blue base and bright true pink polyps. Whereas bubblegums tend to just be forest fires with a little blue. 

20181215_181238.jpg

• Like 2

Just picked up some WWC Illuminates. Got the best coral deal I've gotten so far, by far. 

Tenuis has pretty much already regrown the flesh it lost, so idk what that was about. The tort is still bare on the tip but hopefully it'll recover as well. The only thing I can think of is when I dosed a little Alk I did it to close to them? 

Other than that tanks doing pretty well, I'm still been going back and forth between adding a skimmer or a algae reactor just for added nutrient export. I keep flip flopping on which one. 

Anyway... Illuminati 

20181220_193150.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing much new going on, tanks looking pretty good(other than the same few issues). I'll be adding a reef glass skimmer shortly and other than that nothing much is planned until new corals are added probably next month some time. 

I did mount the illuminati, so heres a few pics of the tank during both light periods, the illuminati, and young zoa garden. 

20181227_205248.jpg

20181227_211448.jpg

20181227_211520.jpg

20181227_211527.jpg

Weekly water change with a cold sucks.

I've switched a couple chalices around because one is bleaching, so I'll have to keep an eye on them. 

I also noticed the tenuis has lost a little flesh again on the tips. It's weird, it happened a little while ago, then it quickly grew it all back. Now it's losing some again. The torts still missing some as well, but the milli and pc Rainbow are good, So, idk... 

Besides that a couple montis still refuse to color up and show PE. But on a bright note, the illuminati are already sprouting new polyps, the duncan has 3 new heads starting, and my one acan has a bunch of new heads. 

Oh and the bottle of hannah alkalinity reagent I just got is innacurate by like a dkh. 

Anyway, I'm hoping that between regular feeding, weekly water changes and adding the reef Glass Skimmer things will start maturing and balance out since params are all in line and there's nothing else I can do. 

• Like 1

Umm... turns out the reagent wasn't off and my Alk actually did spike to 9.6 somehow. I have no idea how, but it might explain the tenuis losing some flesh. Fortunately, it seems pretty tough and just like last time has already pretty much regrown it all. 

I'm still only losing like .2dkh a day so instead of kalk I might just dose a little Alk once a day to keep it stable for now. 

Anyway, the Tort still has a bare tip though and a couple montis still aren't happy for some reason. But other than that, a little cyzno, and the orange chalice bleaching a bit things aren't too bad. I hoping things will really come around when I get the skimmer and up my clean up crew. I'm also probably going to add acropower to my regimen. 

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Umm... turns out the reagent wasn't off and my Alk actually did spike to 9.6 somehow. I have no idea how, but it might explain the tenuis losing some flesh. Fortunately, it seems pretty tough and just like last time has already pretty much regrown it all. 

I'm still only losing like .2dkh a day so instead of kalk I might just dose a little Alk once a day to keep it stable for now. 

Anyway, the Tort still has a bare tip though and a couple montis still aren't happy for some reason. But other than that, a little cyzno, and the orange chalice bleaching a bit things aren't too bad. I hoping things will really come around when I get the skimmer and up my clean up crew. I'm also probably going to add acropower to my regimen. 

Have you considered doing like 1 or 2 gallon water changes every day or so? I’ve seen a few people on here do that and their tanks look amazing. Especially @Cannedfish tank! Going to have to try that method out myself since it looks like a good method of nutrient export and keeping parameters pretty stable. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't see that doing anything a decent size weekly wc won't do. 

I mean it might help you keep from dosing for a little while, but it's really just a more involved way of doing it. 

About to do my weekly water change, so here's a January FTS. 

20190104_214122.jpg

• Like 2

The FTS looks good! How do you like the scape now that things are starting to grow in?

• Thanks 1

I'm liking it, my vision is actually on track for the most part. I look foward to it completely filling out and each section being completely dominated by certain corals... i.e. the acan garden, zoa garden, ric, chalice, etc. Then the upper section dominated by acros and branching sps. 

And like I mentioned, I'll probably end up clearing the sand in the front, filling it with more zoas and Rics. 

Anyway, next step is upping the cuc, and getting the skimmer. I'm hoping that should really get things on the right track, clearing up the few issues. And between that and staring acropower, along with my regual feedings, the few pissy corals will hopefully perk up. 

• Like 1

Just finished the weekly WC. Nothing much new to report. The same corals are still struggling while the rest are good. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, with some acros struggling, but the milli and pc rainbow looking good, encrusting montis struggling while digi looks good...

Params were all good as well. 

Alk 8.3(think im just going to stick with blue bucket and run 8-8.5)

Cal 425

Mag 1380

No3 0 - 5

Po4 0 - .03

I'm still just going to chalk it up to the tank still being relatively young.

I did add more cuc from reef cleaners and the skimmer and acropower I ordered should be here soon, so we'll see how things go. They are going well enough that I don't think there's any major issues with the tank, so some new corals might be in the near future. At this point it might just be a bit of survival of the fittest. 

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions