Innovative Marine Aquariums

MrObscura's Nuvo 10 When It Rains It Pours

MrObscura

Just placed some orders. I ordered a brs 5 stage rodi and also went with the aqami kps pump. I like that it's small and app controllable. I also like how directional it can be. 

I was really interested in the gyre 1k but a lot of what I read suggested that it would be too much flow. 

I also ordered some benereef reef food. Did a bit of research on different foods and I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it gives results. 

• Like 2

Nice pickups and glad you didn't get the 1k gyre..those pumps stick out from the wall on rubber mounts to reduce noise and even if you could dial the flow low enough it would be horrendously ugly sicking out so far.

• Like 1

Received the rodi, it's a lot bigger than I expected so I have to figure out where and how I'm going to set it up. 

The kps should be here tomorrow.

I really need to mount the new corals, it's going on three weeks, but it's such a pita. 

Got the pump. I'm just going to wait until tomorrow to put it in and mount the corals since I need go do a wc anyway. 

But I am going to try feeding benereef today. 

• Like 1

Just fed benereef and I'm impressed, first time and numerous corals are already displaying a feeding response. And the fish and cuc love it. 

Looking forward to seeing if it delivers on the 30 day results the manufacturer claims you'll see. 

Mounting corals has to be the worst part of this hobby. After spending all night on mounting corals and weekly maintenance, which somehow took like 5 hours, I finally sit down to notice that at some point, despite mounting going pretty easily for once, I somehow broke a branch off my milli. 

I also installed the aqami kps, I had no trouble with the app connecting. And I'm glad I went with this pump, considering it's the smallest in its class and is still bigger than expected in a nuvo 10.

Lights are dimming and it's after a wc, but here's a pic... 

20181201_020035-01.jpeg

• Like 2

IL be adding a red dragon for sure at some point, it's on my wish list. That and an ice fire echinata are 2 corals I definitly want.

At the last swap I went to I blew a chance to get a nice rather large mini colony of red dragon for 40 bucks. But it was my first round of the floor and I wanted to wait. 

It was sold when I got back. 

I got it for free from a guy who had too much but I hate the damn thing (not really but kind of). It is like porcelain fragile. It is supposed to be a tougher coral to keep. When I get the frag tank going good, I will probably move it there as it would stand a much better chance of me not breaking it every waterchange. It also gets wayyy too much light in my tank.

• Like 1

Definitely not low nutrients. Not only are nutrients present but I also dose coral good. 

They were in there about a month before showing issues, and if anything par was lower than were they came from. Nowadays I can't imagine sps having much issue with light acclimating since most are likely coming from similar par environments. 

• Like 1

In the middle of my weekly maintenance. I've made a few changes regarding flow and lighting which I'll get to in a second.

But first I want to comment on benereef reef food. I've only been feeding it for a week but it definitely engages corals feed response, and surprisingly their claims of lowering nutrients by feeding and cultivating denitrifying bacteria seems true. Every Friday before my wc my n03 is 10 or so, yet today it was under 5 despite no other changes. I'm looking forward to the 30 day results they claim you'll see. 

Now onto flow and lightning, as some of you may know I added a aqamai kps recently. I was just running their sps 200l preset but it had night mode which I don't care for, so I created my own set with a random mix of random mode and wave mode 24/7.

As for lighting, I was running the ab+ spectrum on my prime. I liked it but felt it was too in the middle in regards to whites and blues. I switched to WWCs setting which is a 12.5 photo period based off ab+ but with the first 5.5 hours running with double the Whites of the ab+ and the last 7 hours running no Whites, greens or reds at all. It's the best of both worlds. I get that crisp white look for some of the day, and then the corals get to glow under blues the rest of the time. The blue pics were taken right after feeding reef roids so some corals are closed up on food. 

20181207_210355-01.jpeg

20181207_223457.jpg

20181207_223431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Just hooked up the rodi unit, finally. Getting the old aerator off the 40yo faucet and the new adaptor in place was the hardest part. Lol

Surprisingly, as far as tds goes my tap is actually really low at 7. That makes it even more ridiculous that I got 100+ from the lfs on numerous occasions. 

Anyway, tanks looking pretty good, corals doing well for the most part. Even the rainbow monti is showing some color again. The Jedi still really looks like shit though for some reason. And corals are growing, my Alk is dropping again despite the kalk, so it's adjustment time. 

My only real issue is I have red cyano popping up despite tons of flow and no spike in nutrients. I also have some of the brown fuzzy cyano on the back wall, and in the sump area.  I'm toying with the idea of setting up a diy algea reactor. Anyone know what the gph through one should be for optimum efficiency? 

Made a few more changes, nothing drastic just dome dialing in.  I cut out the wave mode on my kps and went with random 24/7, and I've a Also adjusted lighting just a bit more. WWC sent me their ai prime schedule that the run on their display nanos so Im giving that a try. It's still a varient of ab+. 

I also needed to dose a little Alk to supplement my kalk. I want the tank between 8.5-9 but with just 0.5tsp of kalk in my ato it recently started dropping again. So I bumped it a few points with some fluval Alk I've had on hand just in case. Once I get it back up we're I want it I'll try 1tsp of kalk.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:31 AM, MrObscura said:

Just hooked up the rodi unit, finally. Getting the old aerator off the 40yo faucet and the new adaptor in place was the hardest part. Lol

Surprisingly, as far as tds goes my tap is actually really low at 7. That makes it even more ridiculous that I got 100+ from the lfs on numerous occasions. 

Anyway, tanks looking pretty good, corals doing well for the most part. Even the rainbow monti is showing some color again. The Jedi still really looks like shit though for some reason. And corals are growing, my Alk is dropping again despite the kalk, so it's adjustment time. 

My only real issue is I have red cyano popping up despite tons of flow and no spike in nutrients. I also have some of the brown fuzzy cyano on the back wall, and in the sump area.  I'm toying with the idea of setting up a diy algea reactor. Anyone know what the gph through one should be for optimum efficiency? 

My algae reactor, which is not doing much at the moment is running around 200 gph.  In reality your flow only needs to be high enough to keep the nutrients in the reactor the same that’s in the main tank so 2x is likely plenty but I’m betting mine is around 10x.  I’d just get the smallest pump you can that will move water through it reliably. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jeff Hood said:

I’d love to see your schedule on that lighting if you can post it or give a link. 

Screenshot_20181212-122815.jpg

After 4 hours of the peak settings above red, green, and white drop to zero with the rest staying at 100% for another 7 hours. 

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Screenshot_20181212-122815.jpg

After 4 hours of the peak settings above red, green, and white drop to zero with the rest staying at 100% for another 7 hours. 

Thanks.  I’m wondering if you could move that whiter timeframe to anywhere in the 12 hour photoperiod to coinside with when Id like to view the tank or did they feel the timing of that mattered?   Blue in the morning then   Say 3-6 pm full on. Then blue rest of the time.  

They said to modified the start and end times as needed and that the white period could be shifted based on preference. 

But all of their tanks run this way, with Whites first and then just blues, and I like the just blue look, so I figured if it ain't broke don't fix it and just changed the sunrise/sunset times. 

• Thanks 1

Weekly maintaince day. Unfortunately,  things aren't great. A number of corals have decided not to really open up the past 2 days and I just noticed my tort and tenuis have a bit of tissue loss on the tips. I don't know what the issue is, tested everything and it's all in line. I'm also battling a bit of cyano. 

Only change recently was a slight modification to lighting, but it was really just aesthetic and shouldnt have had any effect on the tank. 

Anyway, no new pics, because, well tanks not exactly looking pic worthy. 

• Sad 1