MrObscura

MrObscura's Nuvo 10

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Yea I'll definitely be dipping all corals. 

Haha I’m sorry I was on break and misread! I’d still suggest doing the acclimation at the same time of the dip to make the transition smoother, I know snails for example can’t handle salinity changes well.

Generally for most inverts, due to osmotic shock, that’s why the advice is given that if your salinity is too low or high than your target salinity, you slowly raise/lower it, over the course of time

I don't doubt people much more experienced than I have had great success with acclimation but based on my research just as many have success with a dip and then straight into the tank.

Reef cleaners even voids their warranty on inverts if you acclimate as it can be far more stressful than any initial shock of going straight into the tank. I appreciate your input though.

On a side note. Rather than going with a number of zoas and shrooms I'm thinking maybe get 4-5 diifrent corals to spread around the tank. Thinking a Zoa and shroom for down low, a hammer and or lord for the mid, then a Monti cap up top since I've heard they're pretty hardy. Are lords and hammers OK for a newly cycled tank? How about Duncan's and chalices? 

Apologies, 

From personal experience, Acans and hammers can go into a tank with a finished cycle that’s stable without issue. 

• Thanks 1

Hey, quick question... I'm doing a wc tonight and I'm planning to get some corals tomorrow, is there any reason I can't keep some of the water to use as my rinse for the coral dip? 

I cannot see why not, if same salinity as your current DT, it should be more than fine.

1 hour ago, Floundering_Around said:

I'd imagine the water would go stale if not filtered and moving

Within 24 hours? Plus don't people store saltwater? 

I could just keep it in a bucket with a pump running though.

Edit: since I'm doing a water change, I think I'll just mix up more water than I need and keep that circulating with a heater until I need it. That makes more sense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Within 24 hours? Plus don't people store saltwater? 

I could just keep it in a bucket with a pump running though.

Edit: since I'm doing a water change, I think I'll just mix up more water than I need and keep that circulating with a heater until I need it. That makes more sense. 

I’ve recently been using the method you are considering for your corals without the floating/acclimation... dip according to dip instructions and use something to squirt the dip water over the coral/into crevices (and inspect it and usually remove from the frag plug while dipping it), then rinse in water from the tank to get the dip off, then pop into tank... so far so good. I did this on corals from last weekend and today. I don’t know if I would try it on expensive corals though... all of my recent corals have been from the $10 frag section. 

Through my research it seems the vast majority skip acclimation and just dip and add to the tank. Maybe a quick float for temp.  

Based on what I've read I plan to do it with all my corals. Granted, I plan fill my tank with mostly frags around 20 bucks, with maybe a 30-40 dollar coral here and there. But I would do it with an expensive coral without thinking twice about it. While there's no actual evidence that acclimation actually does anything to increases an animals odds of survival, the acclimation process can definitely do harm. It's just not worth it imo. 

It's officially a reef. Added 7 corals today. Got them all from this guy who runs a place out of his house, and it's more impressive than any actual lfs I've been to. He has tons of coral at amazing prices.  In all I added a birdsnest, mystic sunset Monti, a green lord, a purple tipped hammer, some red people eaters, utter chaos, and a no name purple chalice with yellow eyes.   

I wanted to get as much of the plug off but that didn't go as planned so I settled for simply cutting off the stem. I also struggled with gluing them down with just super glue so for now I just have them wedged in the general area I'd like them and will epoxy in a few days if they are happy.   

This isn't the best Pic but... 

IMG_20180813_192045.thumb.jpg.03c6f3fa0530df7fea23e5876436aa0c.jpg

• Like 3

They're not great pics(I'm trying to find a camera app with decent white balance control), but ask and you shall receive...

IMG_20180813_213001.jpg

IMG_20180813_212953.jpg

IMG_20180813_212946.jpg

IMG_20180813_212937.jpg

IMG_20180813_212906.jpg

IMG_20180813_212836.jpg

IMG_20180813_212715.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Picked up a Duncan for 5 bucks. 

Well stop teasing and show us a pic!

Dive in and share your thoughts!