SaltCritters.com

MrObscura's Nuvo 10 When It Rains It Pours

MrObscura

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Yea I'll definitely be dipping all corals. 

Haha I’m sorry I was on break and misread! I’d still suggest doing the acclimation at the same time of the dip to make the transition smoother, I know snails for example can’t handle salinity changes well.

Generally for most inverts, due to osmotic shock, that’s why the advice is given that if your salinity is too low or high than your target salinity, you slowly raise/lower it, over the course of time

I don't doubt people much more experienced than I have had great success with acclimation but based on my research just as many have success with a dip and then straight into the tank.

Reef cleaners even voids their warranty on inverts if you acclimate as it can be far more stressful than any initial shock of going straight into the tank. I appreciate your input though.

On a side note. Rather than going with a number of zoas and shrooms I'm thinking maybe get 4-5 diifrent corals to spread around the tank. Thinking a Zoa and shroom for down low, a hammer and or lord for the mid, then a Monti cap up top since I've heard they're pretty hardy. Are lords and hammers OK for a newly cycled tank? How about Duncan's and chalices? 

Hey, quick question... I'm doing a wc tonight and I'm planning to get some corals tomorrow, is there any reason I can't keep some of the water to use as my rinse for the coral dip? 

1 hour ago, Floundering_Around said:

I'd imagine the water would go stale if not filtered and moving

Within 24 hours? Plus don't people store saltwater? 

I could just keep it in a bucket with a pump running though.

Edit: since I'm doing a water change, I think I'll just mix up more water than I need and keep that circulating with a heater until I need it. That makes more sense. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Within 24 hours? Plus don't people store saltwater? 

I could just keep it in a bucket with a pump running though.

Edit: since I'm doing a water change, I think I'll just mix up more water than I need and keep that circulating with a heater until I need it. That makes more sense. 

I’ve recently been using the method you are considering for your corals without the floating/acclimation... dip according to dip instructions and use something to squirt the dip water over the coral/into crevices (and inspect it and usually remove from the frag plug while dipping it), then rinse in water from the tank to get the dip off, then pop into tank... so far so good. I did this on corals from last weekend and today. I don’t know if I would try it on expensive corals though... all of my recent corals have been from the $10 frag section. 

Through my research it seems the vast majority skip acclimation and just dip and add to the tank. Maybe a quick float for temp.  

Based on what I've read I plan to do it with all my corals. Granted, I plan fill my tank with mostly frags around 20 bucks, with maybe a 30-40 dollar coral here and there. But I would do it with an expensive coral without thinking twice about it. While there's no actual evidence that acclimation actually does anything to increases an animals odds of survival, the acclimation process can definitely do harm. It's just not worth it imo. 

It's officially a reef. Added 7 corals today. Got them all from this guy who runs a place out of his house, and it's more impressive than any actual lfs I've been to. He has tons of coral at amazing prices.  In all I added a birdsnest, mystic sunset Monti, a green lord, a purple tipped hammer, some red people eaters, utter chaos, and a no name purple chalice with yellow eyes.   

I wanted to get as much of the plug off but that didn't go as planned so I settled for simply cutting off the stem. I also struggled with gluing them down with just super glue so for now I just have them wedged in the general area I'd like them and will epoxy in a few days if they are happy.   

This isn't the best Pic but... 

IMG_20180813_192045.thumb.jpg.03c6f3fa0530df7fea23e5876436aa0c.jpg

• Like 3

Everything's doing pretty well but I have a bit of an issue... I've noticed a little algea dispite light feeding and figured it was introduced from the frag plugs which it was. But I figured a water change and a cuc would take care of it.

I'm planning to get the cuc tomorrow and was just about to do the water change when I decided to test my tds. Turns out my LFSs water has high tds. The last batch didnt so I trusted them but now my tanks been being topped off with high tds water and I have no water to do a WC. Is Walmart distilled water safe to use? 

Edit:on bright note, my top off water is from a different batch and reads zero tds... So that's good. I'll just get some good water tomarrow and do a water change then. My main concern is that while most of the corals are looking good, the lord had a bit of algea on the plug which is now encroaching on the coral itself. In retrospect I should have done  a better job cleaning up the plugs before placing the coral in my tank but it was my first batch and I didn't really think about it. Anyway, The algae may have even killed off part of a small head and there's some on the larger heads as well. What should I do? 

I think most grocery store distilled water in the sealed jugs are okay, just check the TDS to be sure. 

Not sure about the algae on your coral. 😞

I had a little distilled on hand for other uses and tested tds just to see and it was 0, so at least I know that in a pinch I can use it if needed. 

But in the end I just skipped feeding the fish so I could push back the WC until tomorrow when I can get some water. 

On a side note, I think the lord might be alright. I blew/brushed away what algea I could and my male clown has done a pretty good job tonight eating the longer stands. My only real concern is for a small partially developed head with exposed skeleton that's covered in algea. But the fleshy part of that head and the rest of the heads are bright and colorful. So hopefully it'll be fine. I'm not sure how lords grow so it might not be receding but rather growing onto new skeleton? 

Oh and I'm definitely going into the lfs I got this water from to let them know what's up. One jug reads 85 for tds and the other 105. That's inexcusable. 

• Like 1

Well, got a cuc. I Got one trochus, 3 narssarius, 2 ceriths, 3 Dwarf blue hermits and 3 what were called red leg hermits, but only 1 is red. With the other two 1 is actually blue and the other is kind of zebra pattetned. They are a little big so I worry about them irritating corals but they are good workers having already started cleaning up the tank. 

I also went into the lfs with the high tds water. They tested their water, which tested fine but then tested it after sitting in one of their containers for 10 minutes and it read high. They said they are food grade but maybe need to be rinsed better than the ones from their old supplier. Anyway they rinsed mine out and filled them for free and as if now they read 0 tds.