Innovative Marine Aquariums

MrObscura's Nuvo 10 When It Rains It Pours

MrObscura

Just let them grow over. Some of them are encrusted onto the  plugs already and the others I simply don't trust myself to remove the plug and mount them without damaging the corals. 

• Like 1

Any idea what's up with this acan? It looked great yesterday, then suddenly today a couple heads have dark spots and what looks like tentacles missing.

20181024_223153.jpg

Acan seems fine, as does everything else. But I did notice something. In fact I noticed it a while ago as a tiny speck on the glass, but wasn't sure, now it's confirmed. I have a little trochus. Don't know how they reproduce, and I only had 1, but... 

20181028_114623.jpg

• Like 1

I think I may move my encrusting montis. I like them were they are but have been in a bit of denial in regards to their threat towards other corals. I've heard people say they'll grow over everything while others say they stop whenever they meet another coral. So, it seems 50/50.

I was going to take the risk figuring it'd be natural to just let them do their thing. But I have other corals I really don't want them killing, so I think I'll be moving the to the back glass. Which is actually something of a win win since I wanted something for the back glass but didn't like anything as much as encrusting montis, and it means more room for acros which i suddenly find myself really digging. 

Though with the plan being to add another batch of corals in a couple weeks I need to start addressing Alk. 

Well, I decided to relocate my encrusting montis. Been hearing too many horror stories about them overgrowing other corals. 

In the end its probably for the best all around. I wanted something on the back glass, but didn't really like the idea of anything else there. So, now I have something on the back glass, my encrusting montis have more room to grow, and I can let them without worry about them getting out of hand, and I have some new realestate on my rock work for acros. Win, win. 

20181030_042708-01.jpeg

• Like 4

Nothing too much to update. But I am having a few issues. First, one of my chalices has lost a little tissue, I think either due to being stung or more likely due my light acting weird and ramping some channels too quickly and not lowering them on schedule . 

Also my encrusting montis and Jedi mind trick don't seem 100%. I'm really hoping I still don't have monti eating nudis somehow. I haven't seen any but the symptoms are awfully similar. It's weird that they would suddenly pop up after over a month though. If I do see difinitive proof, I may add a possum wrasse. 

Anyway, in the past these issues would really bring me down, but I'm trying to look at it a different way and instead view it as a challenge. And also except that none of the amazing tanks we see got there overnight without issue. If it was that easy it wouldn't be as rewarding. 

Also, on a bright note, new corals Sunday! I'm attending a local swap. I might avoid montis just in case, but I'm excited about actually looking for acros since the tort I added last month seems to be doing well. Knock on wood. 

• Like 1

In the middle of my weekly Friday night maintenance. About to start kalk and I am trying a mix of red sea blue bucket and coral pro for my water change since CP mixes to high in Alk and blue bucket only mixed to 7.9. My tank seems best around 8.5-9.

Also fed the corals and got this pic of my cali tort enjoying a meal. 

20181109_214445.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Just got back from a swap. Not as many vendors as the last one, and didn't come away with as many corals, buf did get a few nice pieces. Lights are still ramping and I just got them in the tank, so pics later. 

On a side note Jason fox was there so I got to see some of his Corals in person. I have to say, I'm not that impressed. No doubt he's contributed to the hubby and has nice corals, but not when there's so many awesome corals out there for a fraction of the cost. Another vendor actually had homewrecker, which I didn't even recognize because while nice it just looked like a bright greenish yellow acro, so when I found out it was a 300 dollar homewrecker frag I was surprised. 

Steve Tyree organized the event so I was hoping to see a number of the corals he cultivated avaliable, but nope. In fact only one guy had red dragon. It was a nice mini colony for 40 bucks but I didn't snatch it my first round so lost out. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Just got back from a swap. Not as many vendors as the last one, and didn't come away with as many corals, buf did get a few nice pieces. Lights are still ramping and I just got them in the tank, so pics later. 

On a side note Jason fox was there so I got to see some of his Corals in person. I have to say, I'm not that impressed. No doubt he's contributed to the hubby and has nice corals, but not when there's so many awesome corals out there for a fraction of the cost. Another vendor actually had homewrecker, which I didn't even recognize because while nice it just looked like a bright greenish yellow acro, so when I found out it was a 300 dollar homewrecker frag I was surprised. 

Steve Tyree organized the event so I was hoping to see a number of the corals he cultivated avaliable, but nope. In fact only one guy had red dragon. It was a nice mini colony for 40 bucks but I didn't snatch it my first round so lost out. 

I saw that swap on facebook, I almost went today but its like 1.5 hour drive and I wanted to sleep in. lol Doesn't seem like I missed THAT much then. I'm probably just going to pick up an extra day at work and use that as an excuse to order a battlebox and see what I get. 

And yeah... photos make corals look so awesome and sometimes in person... you can't recognize them. I have definitely gotten more cautious ordering online. 

I'm jealous you have a ponape, that one is on my wish list. 

• Like 1

New corals seem to be doing well, still hanging out on the frag rack until I feel like dealing with the pita that is mounting corals. 

I've Also been running kalk for a few days, and it seems kalk might go further that I expected. I can see why some old schoolers proclaim it's possible to run a tank using just kalk. I'm only dosing 1/2tsp per gallon and not only did Alk stop dropping but it's raising .2dkh a day. I might have to drop to 1/4tsp.

Oh, and just got 100tds water from the lfs again. I was toying with the idea of spending the money on an Apex Jr instead, but I'll get far more use out of an rodi unit. I don't want to worry about getting crap water any more. 

• Like 1

Oh yikes 100!! That's almost like using my tap. 

Good to hear about kalk.. I plan on putting it it in my ATO for my LPS tank. I always manually dosed before but I ain't got time for that! 

HookedOnAquariums
6 hours ago, MrObscura said:

New corals seem to be doing well, still hanging out on the frag rack until I feel like dealing with the pita that is mounting corals. 

I've Also been running kalk for a few days, and it seems kalk might go further that I expected. I can see why some old schoolers proclaim it's possible to run a tank using just kalk. I'm only dosing 1/2tsp per gallon and not only did Alk stop dropping but it's raising .2dkh a day. I might have to drop to 1/4tsp.

Oh, and just got 100tds water from the lfs again. I was toying with the idea of spending the money on an Apex Jr instead, but I'll get far more use out of an rodi unit. I don't want to worry about getting crap water any more. 

Yeah from my research kalk is probably my favorite dosing solution. its cheap, accurate, slow, and a completely balanced solution. Only issue with it is if your cal and alk are being consumed at different rates it cant help you there. And i agree with the ro unit. thats the first thing i put my money into, its just a little ro buddie but it gets my 400 tds all the way down to 2

Alk and cal are consumed at a steady rate of about 18ppm cal to 1meq/l Alk. And Two part and kalk dose them both in a balanced ratio. 

If they  appear as if they are not being consumed at that rate its a result of the tested levels being thrown off by something, not an actual change in coral consumption. Usually it's waterchanges throwing off the levels. 

I learned this after coming across posts by chemist Randyr Holmes Farley, who posts on other reef forums, after I wondered about consumption rates myself.

As for ro units I'll propably go with spectrapure or bulk Reef supply. I thought about the ro buddy but I don't like the idea of propriety filters. If the company stops making them its useless. 

Just got home after watching the bears game. A little drunk and debating if I want to deal with mounting frags. Probably beats doing it sober. 

Edit: drinking 7 year old barley wine, decided against mounting. 

• Haha 1

I'm about to put in an order for a rodi unit and I'm also looking to add more flow. I think the upgraded pump with rfg is perfect for my softies and Lps but I think my sps could use more flow. 

I'm debating between going with a wavemaker or just a much cheaper powerhead, and I'm looking for some opinions on the best way add more flow to thd upper section of my rock work without creating to much down lower. Opinions on both pump placement and pump recommendations welcome. 

Individual coral placement will be Acros and birdsnest in the higher left section, and middle, of the sps section and montis on the ledge to the right. 

sketch-1536784534471.png

20181106_214301.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, still need to get around to mounting the new corals. 🤪

And a couple sps aren't looking too happy, despite everything seeming to be on point water wise, so the only thing I can think of is they need more flow.

I had a mp10 on lagoon mode on mine when I had it running and definitely no dead spots but its total overkill in price for such a small tank. Maybe something directional so you can aim it where you want?

Did you start with dry rock? SPS seem so much trickier the first 6 months to year with dry rock and its not something we can test for. I think its more about bacteria and food and plankton. 

Yea, I did start with dry rock. I'm thinking about trying out benereef reef food. It's sounds interesting and I'd like to see if it lives up to its claims. 

As for an mp10, like you said, the price. I honestly dont I understand why some wavemakers are so expensive. It's a motor, impellar and controller. I've made this complaint before, but you can buy far more advanced tech, at least outside of the reef hobby, for the same price, or less. 

Anyway, I'll definitly go with something directional. I'm thinking placement wise either on a side wall with the new pump pointed up so it's flow crahes into the return flow. Or pointed downward directly into the corals. It would probably have to be something controllable then though, so I can tone it down and create a random flow so the corals aren't blasted with a constant flow. 

• Like 1