inTank Media Baskets

Third times a charm...I hope

sadie

3 hours ago, sadie said:

I have been floating ice bags keeping it around 80 (shooting for 79).  I took all my rocks out and scrubbed them (rinsing them in old tank water before putting them back)  

My poor emerald crab jumped out of a rock and was sitting in the wet towel (where I put my rocks before putting them back in the tank)  I didn't see him (though I looked) and I flung him off my deck! 😲  I ran down picked him up, rinsed him in old tank water and put him back in the tank.  poor guy, he seems fine though.

I really hope the snail mystery gets solved lol. Polyfilter is a brand of media but purigen works too.

My tank temp max’s out between 82 & 84—everyone is good.  Even hit +85 one day when my NEST was bugging out but caught it early.  

Lol, emeralds are tough! I forget about mine sometimes, he survives every scenerio.  Had one hitchhike on a piece of liverock to my 40g 10 years ago, transported with no water for over a half an hour out of water. 🤭

• Haha 1
Shaggy2061
On 6/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, mndfreeze said:

Years ago when I placed an order they got delivered but the mailman didn't knock and I didn't get a notification like USPS was supposed to send, and they sat on my porch for maybe 2 hours in the middle of arizona summer. 

This happened to me the other day with some live plants for my 37 gallon planted. They sat in the black mailbox in our AZ sun and melted. less than 2 hours!!!

AS far as the snails go what i used to do was get one of the specimen cups pour the out into that and drip acclimate till it was full then dump off half and start over t.Then would remove them from cup and ad to tank. Only lost one doing it that way but, I might have just gotten lucky!

5 hours ago, Shaggy2061 said:

This happened to me the other day with some live plants for my 37 gallon planted. They sat in the black mailbox in our AZ sun and melted. less than 2 hours!!!

AS far as the snails go what i used to do was get one of the specimen cups pour the out into that and drip acclimate till it was full then dump off half and start over t.Then would remove them from cup and ad to tank. Only lost one doing it that way but, I might have just gotten lucky!

I am going to order some next week and do what ever the company suggests (probably drip) and if that doesn't work, then I think the snail gods are against me 😁

OH! And I was wondering if this could be the problem:

I add Nano Prat A&B. I have NOT been shaking part B.  Maybe that could be the problem?  Though I don't know why it would only affect my snails. 🤔  I am almost out, and will def shake the new batch.

1 hour ago, sadie said:

OH! And I was wondering if this could be the problem:

I add Nano Prat A&B. I have NOT been shaking part B.  Maybe that could be the problem?  Though I don't know why it would only affect my snails. 🤔  I am almost out, and will def shake the new batch.

Hmm, did we review params like SG, alk, or mag yet?

2 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Hmm, did we review params like SG, alk, or mag yet?

actually, I don't know what is normal for mag.  I just got my kit  yesterday and my mag was 1470.  that seems high, doesn't it?

On 7/1/2018 at 9:08 AM, sadie said:

And yes, I check both salinity and temp before adding them to my tank.  I calibrate my refractometer daily.

Daily...wow that's hardcore.  Mine is lucky if I calibrate it twice a year 🙂.

I am assuming you are using a 35ppt solution for calibration?  I have heard of refractometers being off significantly from calibrating with RO/DI water.  Salinity is the only thing I can think of which would cause the issues you are having.  

1 minute ago, specore said:

Daily...wow that's hardcore.  Mine is lucky if I calibrate it twice a year 🙂.

I am assuming you are using a 35ppt solution for calibration?  I have heard of refractometers being off significantly from calibrating with RO/DI water.  Salinity is the only thing I can think of which would cause the issues you are having.  

I do use the solution, and yes every day.  I am treating my tank as if I just started it, testing every day etc.  Pretending I am a newb.😜  (I actually do feel like a newb, I've been out of it for so long. I think I am going to buy a new one.  i have had this one for 15+ years.  I keep it in the box in a drawer.  I paid $75 and now I see them for like $20.  It looks like the same one, so I figured for$20 I would just pick up a new one.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sadie said:

I do use the solution, and yes every day.  I am treating my tank as if I just started it, testing every day etc.  Pretending I am a newb.😜  (I actually do feel like a newb, I've been out of it for so long. I think I am going to buy a new one.  i have had this one for 15+ years.  I keep it in the box in a drawer.  I paid $75 and now I see them for like $20.  It looks like the same one, so I figured for$20 I would just pick up a new one.

Best of luck figuring this out.  It sucks to keep losing livestock and not knowing why. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, sadie said:

okay, I just looked up what it should be and that seems really high.  Should I do a water change? 

No, I wouldn’t be concerned. It’s a tad out of range but just to give you a perspective, my mag is at 1500 and everyone, including the snails, are doing fine.

• Thanks 1
On 7/1/2018 at 8:19 AM, sadie said:

I was looking at reefcleaners and they sell a snail only cleaning package for a 16 high.  I have the Biocube 16, so that would work, right?

Or I was looking at getting 4 of the big Nassarius, 4 nerite, and 4 dwarf cerith.  They did not have any ninjas at this time.

either way I think I will wait a week and let my tank chill for a bit.  We are getting hot weather this week and without any snails, I had a bunch of algae bust out in a day.  I have been floating ice bags keeping it around 80 (shooting for 79).  I took all my rocks out and scrubbed them (rinsing them in old tank water before putting them back)  

My poor emerald crab jumped out of a rock and was sitting in the wet towel (where I put my rocks before putting them back in the tank)  I didn't see him (though I looked) and I flung him off my deck! 😲  I ran down picked him up, rinsed him in old tank water and put him back in the tank.  poor guy, he seems fine though.

omg I just cracked up at work visualizing this and my co-workers are like 'WHATS SO FUNNY?!".   They wouldn't understand though so I'm keeping my mouth shut.  Poor crabborz!

If you email John at reefcleaners he will help you out.  Or fill out the custom order form on there.  He is super helpful.  

• Like 1

I'm starting to get algae everywhere.  With the heat I had last week I did a couple days of black out and scrubbed all my rock in old tank water.  It's getting all over my back wall.  I don't know if I have an issue or it's just because I don't have any snails.

Should I order the snail package to clean it or is it a problem i should solve BEFORE I get my snails?

DSC_1516.JPG

DSC_1517.JPG

DSC_1518.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My hermits do better job at cleaning algae than my snails anyway, lol.  Did you ever get snails?  

If you can find some, stomatellas are MUCH better algae cleaners anyway, and reproduce like crazy, waiting for mine to spawn.

7 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

My hermits do better job at cleaning algae than my snails anyway, lol.  Did you ever get snails?  

If you can find some, stomatellas are MUCH better algae cleaners anyway, and reproduce like crazy, waiting for mine to spawn.

I did.  I ordered a 16 gal package from reefcleaners and they all lived but 1!  Though I think I am going to have to pull out my rock today and scrub them, as the snails don't seem to be doing it.  Idon't know where all the dwarf cerifs went, but the big snails I got are just crawling around on the clean spots!😆

• Haha 2