Pod Your Reef

Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around

Once again gave the nem a bath for seven minutes but with less iodine. It looks like a piece of the flesh ripped or deteriorated, rather than a circle the nem is now a line?! The muscles still contract and it holds itself together though. Still doesn't smell like death so we'll keep trying, if for nothing else than science (and the hope I have left). Pics are before and during the bath

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

• Wow 1

It appears it lost considerable mass but could just be deflated. Maybe at this point, if even possible, just give it optimal husbandry, it's been through much stress, if it has any potential to regenerate, I'd surmise this is the line.  

Floundering_Around

update on the offending shrimp, they're fine (of course). Exiled to a small bucket with an airstone and daily water changes. Fed them a good amount of pellets which the demolished, of course (rude) 😤 If I had a larger sump I'd put them in there; the minute I get rid of them I'll have an aptasia explosion again. Tempted to get them a fishbowl pico sphere or something. I got attached to them and their rudeness

I like peppermints BUT if we expect them to eat aiptasia, I suppose we can guess they will likely go after other food that resemble them, unfortunately.  Get one of the smaller species of CBS, they typically are shy but very animated and colorful, there's a golden and purple that come in the smaller species.  The smaller species are also peaceful opposed to the commonly traded larger hispidus.  

Floundering_Around
10 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

I like peppermints BUT if we expect them to eat aiptasia, I suppose we can guess they will likely go after other food that resemble them, unfortunately.  Get one of the smaller species of CBS, they typically are shy but very animated and colorful, there's a golden and purple that come in the smaller species.  The smaller species are also peaceful opposed to the commonly traded larger hispidus.  

I'm sorry but what is a CBS?

Another update on the nem. Smells like the ocean but not of death. Gave it a gentle dip and put it back

48 minutes ago, Floundering_Around said:

I'm sorry but what is a CBS?

Another update on the nem. Smells like the ocean but not of death. Gave it a gentle dip and put it back

CBS=Coral banded shrimp...the common one gets huge so I’d steer away from that species.  Get the purple/blue or golden ones are very common and knly get 1.5”.  Mine lives with my yellow watchman goby.

Only time will tell with your rfa now ??

Floundering_Around
35 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

From the last picture of your RFA I give it 1 day until it's done 😢

that's what I'm thinking too 😰

@Aurortpa I was thinking about sexy shrimp, anemone shrimp, or porcelain anemone crabs. My clowns won't host the RFAs but I would like a symbiotic relationship

Edited by Floundering_Around
Adding more rather than making another post
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

CBS=Coral banded shrimp...the common one gets huge so I’d steer away from that species.  Get the purple/blue or golden ones are very common and knly get 1.5”.  Mine lives with my yellow watchman goby.

Only time will tell with your rfa now ??

Be wary with ALL coral banded shrimp.  Even the small ones have hostility problems with other shrimp and some other inverts. 

21 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Be wary with ALL coral banded shrimp.  Even the small ones have hostility problems with other shrimp and some other inverts. 

Ah I’ll have to watch him, he’s tiny compared to an average cleaner shrimp. His pincers are smaller than my red legged’s claws haha. Can definitely see a personality difference from hispidus. This guy usually likes to hang in the cave and is very shy ☺️ 

Floundering_Around

Sad day, my pink nem is officially gone. Gave it the honorary funeral flush. Will be doing a water change later today. (Never want to smell something that nasty any time soon *shudder*)

• Sad 2
Floundering_Around
1 minute ago, ReefFish said:

Sorry to hear that but once RFA's gets a cut it's about 3 days until there gone

especially after being ripped apart by a shrimp with no manners. Were they raised in a tide pool, I mean come on 😫

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, Floundering_Around said:

especially after being ripped apart by a shrimp with no manners. Were they raised in a tide pool, I mean come on 😫

That's terrible sorry to hear ☹️. Soo they smell bad when they die? That's good to know for future reference.

Floundering_Around
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's terrible sorry to hear ☹️. Soo they smell bad when they die? That's good to know for future reference.

Absolutely awful! If it just smells like the ocean no biggie, if you want to gag and throw it as far from you as possible, it's dead. I used this method to tell if one of my first hermits died; it had a bad molt and hadn't moved for a few days but I couldn't tell if it had changed shells or not. Took it out and bam! stinky 

• Wow 1
Floundering_Around
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Alright well at least I know now. Sorry about the loose again ☹️

This method would work for any asexually reproducing anemone like bubble tips but not for RFAs