Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ommeh's 3.5 Gallon Pico Tank - #overengineer

ommeh

Hi everyone,

So currently setting up a tank build. Currently working with a lot of people to get this show on the road and wanted to share a sneak peak of what to expect in the months to come!

This will be a SPS Dominant tank with a minimalist look. Corals will be taken from my #waitingforcoral photo series on Instagram (@ommeh) where I'll also be posting updates on the tank build.

Current List
Tank: 25cm x 25xm x 25cm ADA Do!Aqua Tank
Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S 
Cabinet: Ikea EKET

Wavemaker: Coral Box QP-5

Current Work in Progress:
Lights
Tossing up between the bottom three.
- Nanobox Mini Tide
- Illumagic Blaze X Mini
- AI Prime HD

Sump
Custom acrylic sump made by Hmahli (https://www.facebook.com/marinefreaks/) which will be 30x30x30 to fit inside the cabinet.

Planning on running Vertex PVC pipes and fittings. Will have a couple of valves and maybe a manifold? Depends on how much space I have left haha.

Equipment
As space is SO limited I have to look at the smallest skimmers possible.
- Eshopps Nano Skimmer
- IM Aqua Gadgets Nano Skimmer
- Tunze 9001 Skimmer

Pump/Wavemaker
- Ehiem Compact 500 due to size and performance or maybe a Coral Box pump. We'll look into options.

Remember to watch this space! I'll be dropping updates as they come. You can also follow along on Facebook (www.facebook.com/ommehreef) or Instagram (www.instagram.com/ommeh)

:)MVIMG_20180625_145142.thumb.jpg.488d523214e40064690d5f102970f9ec.jpg

IMG_20180625_145214.thumb.jpg.14d98ec36b0267ba1afde46484ae64e7.jpg

IMG_20180625_145227.thumb.jpg.b9670e965f9ebe35d96f888eb7e7b59c.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @ommeh! 👋

Neat little pico project, I like the equipment you've lined up so far, very minimal. Looking forward to watching your tank build progress, keep us updated on the construction!

Thanks Christopher!

Tank Update! (#waitingforcoral)
Planning is key! Working on how I want to run the pipes. They will be 32mm Red PVC with a ball valve to help create a silent siphon. I'm looking at a 30*30*25 Sump with 3 chambers at the moment. Lights are still up in the air. Wave maker is in the mail (Thanks Fish-Street.com) and doing the final toss up for return. Probably won't get water into the tank till after August (Reef Stock AU 2018) but will have a chance to build up the tank. Will attempt to drill the tank this weekend.

36310050_299132113960950_451156071862081

• Like 1
Quick update!

I've been sponsored a Coral Box QP-5 and a Illumagic Blaze X Mini as the next parts to add to the tank! Super excited for when these arrive 😄
  • Like 2
Christopher Marks

Will this be the first time you have drilled a glass tank? It can be a little nerve raking the first time, particularly how it sounds, but just go slow and keep steady and all will be well. I'm sure you've watched some how-to videos by now, techniques like using plumbers putty to create a cooling reservoir around the drilling area, etc.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Will this be the first time you have drilled a glass tank? It can be a little nerve raking the first time, particularly how it sounds, but just go slow and keep steady and all will be well. I'm sure you've watched some how-to videos by now, techniques like using plumbers putty to create a cooling reservoir around the drilling area, etc.

Yes this will be hahaha.

I've watched like a million videos on YouTube and it looks so easy but I'm so scared hahaha

• Haha 1
Glass is drilled!!
Eshopps Eclipse S installed and it looks awesome! Can't wait to move onto the next phase of the build which is plumping 🙂

36347104_300007907206704_385884365949553 

36513132_300007663873395_559563801205145 

36357109_300007707206724_112914707821205
  • Like 1

Hahaha like what you did there!

Yeah sump starts being build in August. We've got Reef Stock 2018 in Australia so everyone is busy for that. What I can do tho is work on the pipe holes and maybe the return too

• Like 1
So got the drill out and plumbed the overflow. Running Red Vertex pipes with Grey fittings/valves 🙂

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 

[IMG] 
  • Like 1

I don't have anything constructive to add.  Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the pictures and step by step commentary.  Little things like that really help others learn and decide if they'd like to follow the same path.  

Signed,

A Guy With No Creativity. 

• Like 3

SOOOOOO Sump has been ordered!

Thanks to Hmahli Australia (www.facebook.com/marinefreaks) for helping me out with this one! Will post up the design tomorrow 😄

36660717_303534303520731_914495831212556

• Like 1
On 7/3/2018 at 4:36 AM, TatorTaco said:

I don't have anything constructive to add.  Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the pictures and step by step commentary.  Little things like that really help others learn and decide if they'd like to follow the same path.  

Signed,

A Guy With No Creativity. 

Hahaha don't say that! Someone who has no creativity just hasn't found their inspiration 😉

Thank you for the kind words 😄

• Like 1

So here's the sump!

36606487_304272310113597_853189181984630

No automatic alt text available.

Hopefully it will be finished by mid August ^^ Super excited to get my hands on this so I can complete the plumbing 😄

• Like 1

Waiting for Coral - Tank Build
So just received the wave maker and refugium light thanks to Coral Box and Fish Street Store. Will be running the Coral Box QP-5 Wave maker and the Coral Box AS-80 Refugium light. Be sure to check out their store at www.fish-street.com

Light: Illumagic Blaze X Mini
Tank: ADA Do!aqua
Sump: Hmahli Australia
Wave Maker: Coral Box QP-5
Refugium: Coral Box AS-80

• Like 1

So I ordered a VIV International Corporation Limited Glass return pipe for the pico. I tossed up drilling for the return but all the bulk heads were just to big. This was going to be the best compromise and to be honest I think looks awesome. Normally used in planted aquariums I thought why not use it on a saltwater. What do you think? Be sure to follow for more updates on the pico: @ommeh
Camera: Google Pixel 2 XL
Software: Google Snapseed
Light: Illumagic Blaze X Mini (Illumagic Opto / Dalua Australia)
Tank: ADA Do!aqua (ADA Nature Aquarium - Aqua Design Amano Co., Ltd)
Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S (Eshopps Inc.)
Sump: Hmahli Australia (Hmahli Marine Life Support System)
Skimmer: Innovative Marine SkimMate (Innovative Marine Australia)
Wave Maker: Coral Box QP-5 (Fish Street Store)
Refugium: Coral Box AS-80 (Fish Street Store)
Return Pipe: VIV International Glass Pipe (VIV International Corporation Limited)
Fuel: TBA

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
So @hmahli_australia decided to tease me with these images. Words cannot express how excited I am. These guys just make some of the best looking sumps in Australia. Don't be fooled by its size this little cutie still has all the features... 8 dosing input, ATO input, adjustable baffles, bubble trap, refugium, skimmer and return pump chamber. It measures 300 x 300 x 250. If you haven't followed them already please do so now: @hmahli_australia

Camera: Google Pixel 2 XL
Software: Google Snapseed
Light: Illumagic Blaze X Mini
Tank: ADA Do!aqua
Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S
Sump: Hmahli Australia
Skimmer: Innovative Marine SkimMate 
Wave Maker: Coral Box QP-5 
Refugium: Coral Box AS-80 
Return Pipe: VIV International Glass Pipe
Fuel: Aquaforest Component 123+