SaltCritters.com

White Pom Pom Xenia question

Mike P

I received a white pom Pom Xenia last Friday from liveaquaria and I noticed there are little pieces of it in my sand bed now. Is it reproducing or do they fall apart? I figured if it was falling apart it would be picked up by the water flow in my tank but they appear to be anchored down.

3BCDE688-13FE-48A7-A5D1-088CBCFAB446.jpeg

F9D4938D-EECB-4167-BD55-81E23EB56020.jpeg

A piece of it got remove by some means (trimming the coral, fish picking at it, etc) it’ll grow into a new colony in the near future. I find that xenia coral will literally grow anywhere if it can get light. Any little piece of its tissue, and I mean like the size of a pin head can and will usually grow, so Xenia can sometimes become evasive if not pruned carefully.

39 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I received a white pom Pom Xenia last Friday from liveaquaria and I noticed there are little pieces of it in my sand bed now. Is it reproducing or do they fall apart? I figured if it was falling apart it would be picked up by the water flow in my tank but they appear to be anchored down.

3BCDE688-13FE-48A7-A5D1-088CBCFAB446.jpeg

F9D4938D-EECB-4167-BD55-81E23EB56020.jpeg

Six months later and you’ll be asking how to kill it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Figster said:

This is statement is true

Sucks though tbh. Stuff looks good. Non hobbiests (check that spelling) love it so people are coming over and going “What is that it’s so cool rabbarabbarabba”, dude just paid for it PLUS SHIPPING. Sucks for real. 

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye on the stuff and try to control it from spreading to much. I’m surprised that it’s spreading already, I counted 6 little stalks throughout my tank. 😶 

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep an eye on the stuff and try to control it from spreading to much. I’m surprised that it’s spreading already, I counted 6 little stalks throughout my tank. 😶 

Funny, I can barely grow mine!  

I've had the best luck with mine, grew it into 10 heads and really enjoyed it until I sold it. then I enjoyed that sale as well!

I've seen the pieces just randomly fall off and start tiny little colonies in the sand, i just threw them out since I've heard scraping the tissue off once its on rock can be difficult. it was super cool to see how that worked though

also it was completely immune to an octospawn slapping it with a sweeper for literally 2 months. even started trying to grow towards the octospawn

7 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Kinder and gentler, Bro. We were all Noobs once.

i think he was being sarcastic.  At least I took the emoji to mean he is just poking fun 🙂

Lol, I’m sure he was jk, and if not, my skin is way too thick anyway lol. I’ve been in aquaria since I was a kid and in saltwater +10 years—BUT I learn something new all the time, so in a sense, being a noob is fun ☺️

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

Lol, I’m sure he was jk, and if not, my skin is way too thick anyway lol. I’ve been in aquaria since I was a kid and in saltwater +10 years—BUT I learn something new all the time, so in a sense, being a noob is fun ☺️

I don't think we ever stop learning.🙂

It's such an in depth hobby and that's what makes it a fascinating hobby.

Theres always something to learn.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I don't think we ever stop learning.🙂

It's such an in depth hobby and that's what makes it a fascinating hobby.

Theres always something to learn.

I agree. I had my first salt tank in 1970 and many since. But I continue to learn and ask questions of people a whole lot smarter than I.😁

• Like 1

Are these the only ones that pulse? I saw some Clove polyps yesterday at a LFS and it looked nice (purple with orange streaks down each point) but they didn't appear to pulse.

23 minutes ago, AquaVaj said:

Are these the only ones that pulse? I saw some Clove polyps yesterday at a LFS and it looked nice (purple with orange streaks down each point) but they didn't appear to pulse.

Cloves do not pulse, different coral but do look similar.

Mine in the picture  pulse very little. The one that is pulsing a lot  in my tank is the heteroxenia that came In the soft coral pack. 

31937736-3AC0-43CC-9506-A34E2C652E3F.png

banasophia
On 7/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, Oldsalt01 said:

Kinder and gentler, Bro. We were all Noobs once.

Ahhahaha this just cracked me up. The stuff Bro posts sometimes is so extreme and no one says anything, but then all he says is Noobs and he gets busted. Haha. I love you guys! 😘

• Thanks 1
On 7/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, Oldsalt01 said:

I agree. I had my first salt tank in 1970 and many since. But I continue to learn and ask questions of people a whole lot smarter than I.😁

🙄 Old noobs. 😉 

• Haha 4

I respect xenia survival skill. I wish more corals were as hardy, and it is a beautiful coral.  I had a large piece and non fish people would see it and point it out over everything else in the tank. 

The beautiful survivor.