Pod Your Reef

Growing phyto without a starter culture

seabass

Here's the porch culture today (09/13/18).

091318a.jpg  091318b.jpg

These were taken without shaking the culture since the day I started it.

So this culture has been going for a week now (plus the two weeks that it was sitting on my porch).  Today I added 3ml of Micro Algae Grow (f/2) and shook the culture.  It's really staring to grow now.  If nothing else, this should demonstrate just how easy it is to culture phyto.

• Like 1

I'm viewing this as a success, and am planning on continuing this phase.  However, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I didn't leave any stray cells on any part of my equipment, and that I'm still culturing my bird bath phyto.  Or is this actually a new culture started with newly captured spores? :unsure:

I'm kind of tempted to redo this phase with totally different equipment.  IDK, what to you all think?  Do you have any interest in me starting phase 3 again?

• Like 1

I’ve been following, but don’t remember ( the memory is the second thing that goes, kiddos. Keep that in mind for when you start getting long in the tooth.) is this culture fresh, too? If so, I’d say start over with new, but with salty water.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

I’d say start over with new, but with salty water.

Interesting, a bonus phase.  I might just do that.

I think I'll continue this culture for a couple more weeks.  It should be sufficiently green by then.  In the meantime, I'll put out another bowl of water (1.019 sg).  I'll probably top it off every so often, so that the salinity doesn't get too high.  Then I'll use a different bottle and airline tubing (so there are no residual cells).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I think I'll continue this culture for a couple more weeks.  It should be sufficiently green by then.  In the meantime, I'll put out another bowl of water (1.019 sg).  I'll probably top it off every so often, so that the salinity doesn't get too high.  Then I'll use a different bottle and airline tubing (so there are no residual cells).

Take note, kiddos. He said BONUS , not boner. Remember when I said the memory is the second thing that goes? Whaddya think the first is?

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Take note, kiddos. He said BONUS , not boner. Remember when I said the memory is the second thing that goes? Whaddya think the first is?

Our phyto cultures?

Christopher Marks
5 hours ago, seabass said:

Good plan, might as well put another culture test in action while the weather is nice! How long do you leave the bowls of water on the porch for?

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

How long do you leave the bowls of water on the porch for?

The first time was two weeks.  Not that anything is special about 14 days, but that's what I'll try again.  I'm already changing one  potentially important variable (salinity).  If it fails, I should have time for at least one more attempt at collecting a freshwater culture.

• Like 1

Yeah, for almost a week, nothing then all the sudden, a phyto bloom.  The growth is exponential, so hard to notice when there were just a few cells.  Neat to watch.

Note: I put the saltwater on the porch today (09/14/18).

Another test which I thought of would be to try and culture phytoplankton from our own tank water.  Seeing the success that I'm having with a small number of cells, I would guess that it would be possible to start a phyto culture with just our reef tank's water.

I'm not going to try this simply because I actively dose phytoplankton into my tanks.  Therefore these cells are likely already present.  However, it would be an interesting experiment for anybody who has a tank started with live rock, and has never dosed phyto before.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

9/25/18 (end of Phase 3):

092518a.jpg  092518b.jpg  092518c.jpg

Since the last update, I added 3ml of f/2.  Above is the culture today.  The first pic is of the unshaken culture (looks in need of harvesting); the second is after shaking; and the third is the culture next to a mature Nannochloropsis oculata culture (for a comparison).  I'm not bothering acclimating this culture to saltwater, and I dumped it this afternoon.

Phase 4 of 4 (saltwater porch phyto)

For this bonus phase, I put out a bowl of 1.019 sg saltwater on our porch for 10 days (I topped it off once during that time).  My hope is that it captured some algae spores and I will be able to culture a saltwater phyto culture from it.  I am using a new 2 liter soda bottle, cap, and airline tubing (both rigid and flexible).  I've tried my best not to cross contaminate the water with other cultures that I have growing.

092518d.jpg  092518e.jpg  092518f.jpg

New bottle and rigid airline tubing; as well as the porch water

As I did during the previous phase, I strained the porch water through a couple of paper towels (to filter out bugs, dust, etc).  Then I topped off the bottle with more 1.019 sg saltwater.

09/25/18:

092518g.jpg  092518h.jpg

Here's the culture today.  I drew Plankton on the new bottle.  It seemed only fitting. :smilie:

Something is going on with this culture.

100118a.jpg

Looks like a bloom of some kind.

100118b.jpg

I strained the culture and collected this.  Unsure what it is.

100118c.jpg

There appears to be a slight tint to it after straining.

10/03/18:
100318a.jpg

The bloom appears to be continuing.

100318b.jpg

I'm still not sure what I'm collecting in the plankton sieve (remember that this is a saltwater culture).

I added another 3ml of f/2 today.

10/06/18:

100618a.jpg  100618b.jpg

Looks like the culture is progressing.  However, at this point, I'm not sure what I'm culturing.  It appears to be more brown than previous cultures; maybe it's diatoms (or partially diatoms). :unsure: