Pod Your Reef

High PH Better?

FlytheWMark

FlytheWMark

I have a question I'd like to hear from some of the ultra-experienced here.  I know for softies and LPS "standard" PH should be between 8.2-8.4.  My LFS (whose tanks are beautiful and pristine BTW) states that he keeps his PH around 9.0 and gets a lot more color and growth out of his corals.  They state at some shows they've been to there are reefers going even higher than that with great results.  Any thoughts (right or wrong) on this?  Does anyone personally go this high?  

Euphylin me

i dont personally go this high but there is some reasoning for this. calcification for stony corals is accelerated at a higher ph. the levels of carbonate are more abundant in higher ph and bicarbonate rises in lower ph. this is why some corals will thrive in lower ph and some will wither away. If my understanding is correct, thats why we shoot for the 8.1-8.3 range is to find that equilibrium for mixed reef tanks TBH its mainly for sps but lps can benifit from it as well. I am comfortable with my ph around 8-8.2 (less need for dosing and such as sps at higher ph's will consume alkalinity like crazy

• Like 1
FlytheWMark

For SPS I completely understand this but 98% of his stock is LPS and softies.  Just wondering if there is much "science" here for taking SPS PH over 8.5 (or in their case 9.0).  Again I'm curious to what others think about this as I was thinking of trying to keep my PH around 8.5 if it would help growth and health in my 10 gallon IM Nano.

26 minutes ago, Mark L. said:

For SPS I completely understand this but 98% of his stock is LPS and softies.  Just wondering if there is much "science" here for taking SPS PH over 8.5 (or in their case 9.0).  Again I'm curious to what others think about this as I was thinking of trying to keep my PH around 8.5 if it would help growth and health in my 10 gallon IM Nano.

I think maybe you mistaken alkalinity for pH.

Euphylin me
Just now, Asureef said:

I think maybe you are mistaken alkalinity for pH.

i have heard of people keelping a ph above 8.6 to ensure accelerated growth in sps, but not really for an lps/softie tank. 

https://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/

this link relates that for enhanced coloration and growth, we increase the abundance of minor elements that are not the same ration in the ocean's reefs and are consumed by the soft tissue in the coral (any type). Alk,ph, and carbonate levels are all related. What the owner of the tank probably didnt tell you is that there are a myriad of other elements that are above the levels found in sea water to obtain this growth and coloration. So not only does the owner increase the ph, but a ton of other elements as well

Euphylin me

so i know you goal is better growth and coloration for  your corals. 8.4 ph is fine. However, i would recommend cutting a strip of the back chamber on your nuvo 10 and running a light like the aqua gadget light and growing some type of algae. this will keep you ph stable and you will see better growth out of this as well. Just because you keep a higher ph doesnt mean the coloration of the coral will be better (high ph/alk can cause "burn"). i would recommend rising the level of minor elements (Kent marine essential elements is what we dose at the store and we have some very good growth on lps and softies and decent growth on sps

A lot of us don't even test ph because trying to alter it can be detrimental to your other parameters.

The worst thing is chasing ph which fluctuates all day long.

Alk is far more important to focus on.

Euphylin me
Just now, Clown79 said:

A lot of us don't even test ph because trying to alter it can be detrimental to your other parameters.

The worst thing is chasing ph which fluctuates all day long.

Alk is far more important to focus on.

+1   which is why i advocated for a reverse lighting schedule :)

1 hour ago, Euphylin me said:

i have heard of people keelping a ph above 8.6 to ensure accelerated growth in sps, but not really for an lps/softie tank. 

https://www.redseafish.com/blog/enhanced-coloration-or-accelerated-growth/

this link relates that for enhanced coloration and growth, we increase the abundance of minor elements that are not the same ration in the ocean's reefs and are consumed by the soft tissue in the coral (any type). Alk,ph, and carbonate levels are all related. What the owner of the tank probably didnt tell you is that there are a myriad of other elements that are above the levels found in sea water to obtain this growth and coloration. So not only does the owner increase the ph, but a ton of other elements as well

Or that person’s pH probe may need some calibrating.  :biggrin:

Euphylin me
Just now, Asureef said:

Or that person’s pH probe may need some calibrating.  :biggrin:

😄 i was thinking that that is pretty darn high for an lps/softie tank...but who knows, maybe hes some mad scientist

5 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

😄 i was thinking that that is pretty darn high for an lps/softie tank...but who knows, maybe hes some mad scientist

Maybe he’s feeding his tank pure oxygen..🤔