Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kdrof's Nanobox Adventure

Kdrof

Hi Everyone 👋

I had ordered a light from Dave several weeks ago. I was fascinated with his work based on the feedback in the community and wanted to nerd out. He gave me the opportunity to come build the light with him at Nanobox Reef headquarters!

Its neat to meet people in the hobby and share information so I was very excited about the opportunity.

2 flights later, I was in beautiful Carolina! Dave was awesome to me. Having the opportunity to see his process, attention to detail and refined design from years of experience was nothing short of amazing.

Bye Cleveland:

Bye CLE

CLE to CLT:

CLE Clouds

CLT Plane

CLT to GSO:

CLT Taxi

CLT to GSO

GSO Landing

Good ol' Southern Breakfast:

Breakfast

Dave's Office Planted Tank:

Dave Planted FTS

Where Nanobox began:

Nanobox Beginnings

Nanobox Beginnings2

One of Dave's first LED's:

Dave First LED

Time to build my light!:

Nanobox1

Nanobox2

Nanobox3 Dave Soldering

Nanobox4 Dave Soldering

Nanobox6 Wiring

Wizard:

Nanobox7 Dave

Nanobox8 Fan

Nanobox9

Nanobox10 Dimmers

Nanobox10 Gooseneck

Nanobox11 Dimmer Housing

Nanobox12 House Wire Hole

Nanobox13 Tapping

Nanobox14 Bluefish Controller

Nanobox15 Nearly Finished

Nanobox16 Fan Cover Installed

Nanobox17 Office Tank Test

Nanobox18 Office Tank Closeup

GSO back to CLT:

GSO to CLT

GSO to CLT2

GSO to CLT3

Several hour layover in CLT:

Layover

Casey Airport

CLT to CLE:

CLT Taxi2

CLT to CLE

Oh - and please excuse the cell phone pic - but the colors are no joke on his display tank!:

Nanobox Daves Tank

I knew how much everyone loved these Nanobox lights from the community feedback. I was happy to support a long time forum member’s business. But, after going through the build process with Dave, it gave me another level of appreciation for the light. I still cannot get over how refined his process is allowing for timely delivery of hand made units while still keeping the cost reasonable for customers. 

Also, as many of you know from the forum or meeting him, Dave is a great guy and is very passionate and knowledgable about what he does. Finding people who do not shortcut quality to make an extra buck is not common anymore in this day and age. You know the quality is unmatched when the drivers sit in an aluminum housing - not plastic. All of this drives Dave’s costs up and is a testament that quality is the #1 priority.

I want to thank @DaveFason for the hospitality and spending the day with me. I learned a ton and will never forget the experience.

Thanks!

Kevin

Disclaimer - I got nothing for posting this and am posting to help people gain a better understanding of Nanobox Reef and the man behind it. I thought this might help people make a decision if they were in the market for a new light and comparing different units within the industry.

• Like 16
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Whoa, what a cool experience, thanks for sharing the behind the scenes tour @Kdrof!

Dave is such an awesome dude! Did you fly out there just to hang while he built your order? 😄 

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa, what a cool experience, thanks for sharing the behind the scenes tour @Kdrof!

Dave is such an awesome dude! Did you fly out there just to hang while he built your order? 😄 

Yep. It was a long day. Flew out, watched him build the light. Talked reefing for a while.  Then talked photography for a few hours. 🙂 

• Like 1

Great meeting you and glad you enjoyed the entire process. Sometimes I need days like this to keep me trucking along. 

Who's next?

-Dave

• Like 7
On 6/26/2018 at 6:40 AM, DaveFason said:

Great meeting you and glad you enjoyed the entire process. Sometimes I need days like this to keep me trucking along. 

Who's next?

-Dave

I think it should be @Christopher Marks . The man needs a tank !! 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter
On 6/26/2018 at 7:40 AM, DaveFason said:

Who's next?

-Dave

:haha:

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks for sharing! Nice job 🙂

Thanks Teeny 🙂 

I had an awesome time. Dave will also get you addicted to cold brew coffee as well if you aren’t already.. 🤣

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

@DaveFason you ought to sell those fish shirts. :happydance:

Also, is that NanoBox logo etched into the planted tank? Or can a brother get some sticker love! (Happy to buy these of course!)

• 1 month later...
blizzardscout2
On 6/26/2018 at 4:40 AM, DaveFason said:

Who's next?

-Dave

Me! 

Thanks for posting this, it is cool to see the process! Thanks 

• Like 2
righttirefire
On 6/26/2018 at 4:40 AM, DaveFason said:

Who's next?

-Dave

Why dont you fly out and ill give you the tour of rebuilding your old lights on a kitchen table?

Dave is awesome. I have 3 of his light. Bought 1 new, and 2 used (upgraded them with his help) 

But lets go fishing... who wants to build light when there is a world to explore and fish to catch

• Like 3
10 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Me! 

Thanks for posting this, it is cool to see the process! Thanks 

Glad you enjoyed. I have been working on a short film on the process for some time. Maybe I should finish... 

10 hours ago, righttirefire said:

Why dont you fly out and ill give you the tour of rebuilding your old lights on a kitchen table?

Dave is awesome. I have 3 of his light. Bought 1 new, and 2 used (upgraded them with his help) 

But lets go fishing... who wants to build light when there is a world to explore and fish to catch

Get me a ticket! 😛 

Seriously though. I should be out there soon. Talk reef, fish, talk more reef, booze and then fish more? 

• Like 2