Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro Chitons

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

Not sure if they are Ischnochiton erythronotus, I think they are. Another species is similar but isn’t supposed to be in that range from what I can tell. So much variability within that one species alone. Variation existed among all the ones I collected from the same location too... Ischnochiton family for sure right? 

What say you Nano-reef? Cool huh? Don’t be jealous I am going to start doing the micro oddballs again due to request and will have them around. Not these currently, I have needs too you know. 

Look how tiny. 🙂

F3E035D7-79B9-418F-8B36-409821F915BF.jpeg

• Like 11

Those are Chitons for sure. I have had some on my rocks FL rocks come in and they stay that small. They seem to reproduce fairly easily as well.

johnmaloney

There are 9 species in the area around this size so I am not 100% on my species level identification yet. Definitely Ischnochiton family member. I usually see Ischnochiton papillosus come in on gulf coast rock from that Tampa bay liverock company. Do you have a picture of your guys by any chance? Ischnochiton papillosus is very light colored, with some green mottling and is variable, but not as variable as Ischnochiton erythronotus. Hard to tell from my horrible picture, but those chitons have two different colored backs. Definitely the same species though. 

• Like 1
johnmaloney

These smaller guys probably have more “value” as a curiosity than a cleaner due to their size. If they reproduce they may make some impact, but only 4 out of 9 of the mini chiton species here breed in captivity by carrying their brood until they crawl away, the others breed by releasing gametes into the water. You may be thinking to yourself “well that was a strange reply” but I just wanted an excuse to share that. I am hoping they are a breeding species. 

• Like 2

Wow those are neat John! I'm gonna have to be ordering some more cleaners before long. Hopefully some more knowledge on these little dudes comes about cause I'd like to have some. You know from my emails I really like diversity and having a bunch of different critters... The gorilla crab that showed up did a number on the snails, and now the hermits are starting to do their number on them too. Thankfully I am setting up my dump and overflow in the next week, all the crabs will have their own little world in the fuge. Haha

• Like 1
johnmaloney

Thanks!

Not as many field guides for creatures under an inch as you would think out there....what did people do before the internet? I haven't found a good source to identify these small decorator crabs.

• Like 1
johnmaloney

They are a nightmare to collect... just now remembering how they like to stick their legs out of holes and tease me by waving hello....lol  🙂

johnmaloney

I would just as soon take it, I just have to figure out how to outsmart an animal with the brain the size of....well big enough to beat me so far. 🙂

• Haha 3
On 6/25/2018 at 10:11 PM, johnmaloney said:

There are 9 species in the area around this size so I am not 100% on my species level identification yet. Definitely Ischnochiton family member. I usually see Ischnochiton papillosus come in on gulf coast rock from that Tampa bay liverock company. Do you have a picture of your guys by any chance? Ischnochiton papillosus is very light colored, with some green mottling and is variable, but not as variable as Ischnochiton erythronotus. Hard to tell from my horrible picture, but those chitons have two different colored backs. Definitely the same species though. 

Sorry John, forgot to come back and read any updates on this tread. I will see if I can get a decent pic of the ones in my tank. They blend in well but maybe I can find a few on some of my loose rocks.

• Like 1