ReefCleaners.org

30 Gallon Long Journal

Rifts2Reefs

Rifts2Reefs

Originally planned to start off with the Fluval Evo 13.5 gal, but after some thought and browsing, I decided to go with the Innovative Marine Nuvo 30 gal long. Ordered one last Thursday, and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday. June 25th). 

Before I setup the tank and get it cycling, I'd like to ask current owners of this system, what kind of equipment combinations (in regards to hardware, ie: lighting, skimmers, reactors, and etc., by brand) yielded you the best results while operating on this tank?

Thanks in advance, and I'll keep everyone updated! 😁👍

mitten_reef

@StevieT's InTank media basket and floss holder - absolute must for a start.  That's really all I run for filtration.  The included filter socks are great, but they're a pain in the ass to clean. 

everything else is relative to your budget - so you may get better advice if you give 2-3 options for each equipment that you're looking at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
A Little Blue

Depends on your budget and what you plan to keep as far as livestock and corals are concern. 

There are many ways to skin the cat. Look at what IM30L owners use, and you will find wide veriety of filtration approaches. From heavy skimming to algae refugium/reactors/scrubbers, aggressive chemical water treatment or non whatsoever. 

I would start by planing your light options, stocking, scape that optimizes flow & coral placement. Decide if you’re going with sand or not. Heater choice is very important. Investing in $30 heater controller is also wise (had few heaters that crushed my tank in the past). 

You will need a basic test kit for sure. Down the road, you will need to test for Mg, Ca and KH as well. 

It’s going to get expensive and fast so get ready. 

• Thanks 1
Rifts2Reefs
6 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

@StevieT's InTank media basket and floss holder - absolute must for a start.  That's really all I run for filtration.  The included filter socks are great, but they're a pain in the ass to clean. 

everything else is relative to your budget - so you may get better advice if you give 2-3 options for each equipment that you're looking at. 

Awesome, was actually already looking into the media and fuge baskets from In Tank Aquatics!

In regards to the stock IM filter socks/clips, I think I read on another thread that someone made adjustments or mods to it, so they could switch out the socks when needed. Can't remember which thread it was though, will have to look it up again. Have also thought about going with the floss method instead once the socks have given out.

As for budget, I'm pretty flexible. I don't spending a little extra if the product will definitely out preform others. 

In that regard, this is the hardware I'm currently looking into:

Lighting options

- AI Prime HD x2

- Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue x2

(Open to more options, just really like the look of the 2 listed above)

Return pump options

- Jebao DC1200

- Sicce 2.0 x2

Skimmers options

- Aquamaxx WS-1

- Cadlights PLS-50 Elite

- Tunze 9004

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Rifts2Reefs said:

Awesome, was actually already looking into the media and fuge baskets from In Tank Aquatics!

In regards to the stock IM filter socks/clips, I think I read on another thread that someone made adjustments or mods to it, so they could switch out the socks when needed. Can't remember which thread it was though, will have to look it up again. Have also thought about going with the floss method instead once the socks have given out.

As for budget, I'm pretty flexible. I don't spending a little extra if the product will definitely out preform others. 

In that regard, this is the hardware I'm currently looking into:

Lighting options

- AI Prime HD 

- Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue

Return pump options

- Jebao DC1200

- Sicce 2.0

Skimmers options

- Aquamaxx WS-1

- Cadlights PLS-50 Elite

- Tunze 9004

I'm assuming you are looking at a pair of AI Primes or Kessils.  I don't see one giving you the coverage you need.  I have 2 Kessil 360N's on my 30L and they cover it pretty well.  I personally think the Nanobox Quad is the perfect light for this tank and may go to that over the Kessils.  

I run the Varios 2 on mine and it seems perfect.  Not sure how the Jebao DC1200 stacks up, but if it is rated the same as the Varios2 should be good.  

I don't run a skimmer, so no advice there.  Part of why I love tanks this size is being able to do small weekly water changes in lieu of skimming.  

• Thanks 1
Rifts2Reefs
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Depends on your budget and what you plan to keep as far as livestock and corals are concern. 

There are many ways to skin the cat. Look at what IM30L owners use, and you will find wide veriety of filtration approaches. From heavy skimming to algae refugium/reactors/scrubbers, aggressive chemical water treatment or non whatsoever. 

I would start by planing your light options, stocking, scape that optimizes flow & coral placement. Decide if you’re going with sand or not. Heater choice is very important. Investing in $30 heater controller is also wise (had few heaters that crushed my tank in the past). 

You will need a basic test kit for sure. Down the road, you will need to test for Mg, Ca and KH as well. 

It’s going to get expensive and fast so get ready. 

For lights I'm in between AI Prime HDs and Kessil A160WE Tuna Blues.

Definitely want to have a nice sand bed (already have a couple bags of aragonite sand), but not against the idea of a bare bottom setup (quite fond of them actually), as I already have 2 bare bottom FW setups for wild discus and plecos.

Haven't had an issue with Eheim Jagers (use them on all my current tanks), but I am looking into Titanium heaters as well. Will be using an Inkbird controller.

Do have test kits on hand: API master kit, as well the Red Sea and Hanna checker kits for Mg, Ca, Kh.

In terms of stocking I'm thinking:

- pair of clowns

- 1 six line wrasse

- 1 yellow watchman goby or Yasha shrimp goby

- 1 candy can pistol shrimp (rock work will definitely be laid first before sand, to prevent collapsing)

- 3 scarlet hermits

- couple astrea and nassarius snails 

In regards to corals looking to do mostly softies like: zoas, GSP, hint of ice bounce rhodatic mushrooms, cracked ice capnella leathers, and eventually once the tank is mature and stable enough, a couple of LPS like a shape shifter torch.

List may change, but definitely just zoas to start off with.

• Like 1
Rifts2Reefs
42 minutes ago, specore said:

I'm assuming you are looking at a pair of AI Primes or Kessils.  I don't see one giving you the coverage you need.  I have 2 Kessil 360N's on my 30L and they cover it pretty well.  I personally think the Nanobox Quad is the perfect light for this tank and may go to that over the Kessils.  

I run the Varios 2 on mine and it seems perfect.  Not sure how the Jebao DC1200 stacks up, but if it is rated the same as the Varios2 should be good.  

I don't run a skimmer, so no advice there.  Part of why I love tanks this size is being able to do small weekly water changes in lieu of skimming.  

Awesome! Will definitely look into the Nanobox Quad, and Varios2! 😊👍

also saw a Nanobox hybrid in the hardware classifieds today which would look really sweet over this tank.  He's been trying to unload it for a while and the price keeps dropping.

A Little Blue

It’s a sound plan. All light options are fine. Just a matter of taste or features. 

Upgraded return pump is something that a lot of guys opt to do. DC pumps are quieter, more efficient and most have feed mode feature which is convenient. Can’t help you with skimmer choices. I have dc9004 in my quarantine tank for evaluation but I haven’t run it yet in my 30l. 

Stocking looks ok. Six line may become an issue as it matures. It isn’t exactly inverts friendly and can become a little bullish. 

What about in tank flow (other than return pump)? 

Rifts2Reefs
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

It’s a sound plan. All light options are fine. Just a matter of taste or features. 

Upgraded return pump is something that a lot of guys opt to do. DC pumps are quieter, more efficient and most have feed mode feature which is convenient. Can’t help you with skimmer choices. I have dc9004 in my quarantine tank for evaluation but I haven’t run it yet in my 30l. 

Stocking looks ok. Six line may become an issue as it matures. It isn’t exactly inverts friendly and can become a little bullish. 

What about in tank flow (other than return pump)? 

I see, will definitely keep an eye on the wrasse. 

For flow I have a pair of Hydor 425gph nanos, as well as a Hydor 3rd Gen 1350gph pump. 

If those don't workout, getting a MP10 is also an option. Definitely a lot more customizable.

A Little Blue

Doesn’t have to be fancy. As long as you give adequate flow. Just as important as light. It also keeps your tank healthy and prevents detritus buildup. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Here's a few frags I've picked up recently.

No idea what the names of first 3 Palys go by in trade, but they're absolutely stunning! If guys and gals have any idea let me know! 👍

IMG_20190901_225205_238.jpg

IMG_20190831_232307_740.jpg

IMG_20190901_224849_468.jpg

IMG_20190828_225530_380.jpg

IMG_20190827_005953_500.jpg

IMG_20190827_010143_357.jpg

IMG_20190827_005909_760.jpg

IMG_20190827_005828_719.jpg

IMG_20190831_231827_281.jpg

IMG_20190827_001951_310.jpg

IMG_20190828_221715_744.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 3
  • 2 weeks later...

New frags added to my collection:

- "Midnight Sparkle" Micromussa.amakusensis

- "Sparkle Edge" (looking like pairs of luscious lips 👄) Micromussa.lordhowensis 

- Pinwheel x Nuclear Green Button Paly

- Red Riding Hood mushroom

- "Winter Citrus Micromussa.lordhowensis

- Hawaiian Galaxy People Eaters

- Speckled Green Paly

- Small Yuma mushroom

- Magician Palythoas 

IMG_20190919_115226_503.jpg

IMG_20190919_232956_902.jpg

IMG_20190919_231733_933.jpg

IMG_20190919_232736_354.jpg

IMG_20190920_035035_889.jpg

IMG_20190919_121742_347.jpg

IMG_20190920_035359_396.jpg

IMG_20190916_044549_635.jpg

IMG_20190919_135830_307.jpg

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to see a full tank shot! I just switched to the same tank and I’m looking for inspiration with aquascaping. I haven’t  quite figured out what to do with such a long tank yet. 

• Like 2