SaltCritters.com

What aquarium should I get?

oceanboy

I’ve been wanting to upgrade my 15 gallon reef to a 30-40 gallonish tank, but I’m not sure what to buy. Red sea’s aquariums are too expensive for me, but is the seaclear 40 gallon acrylic tank good? I’m looking to make this new tank my “final” tank for a long time so I’d like to buy something that’s high quality but not extremely expensive. What do you guys prefer?

I like the nuvo 25 lagoon but it’s a little to small in length for me. I think seaclear looks nice. Thoughts? 

The Seaclear isn't very deep from back to front, plus it's acrylic.  The IM NUVO Fusion 40 is the same footprint as the 25 Lagoon ('bout the same price too).  I wouldn't rule it out.

What budget do you have and what dimensions can you play with? I'm waiting on a 57 edge from deep blue and its 36x18x20.  The stand and tank were 500$ plus tax (yay for Tennessee sales tax).

I really like the shallow tanks (long and wide) like the IM lagoon 25, but a little bigger. Something like a 40g breeder's dimensions are really nice (about 3 feet long, nice width, and not tall). I was looking into the SeaClear 40g because it has really close dimensions to a 40g breeder but also is crystal clear acrylic and rimless. Anyone like SeaClears for reef tanks? I'm not sure if you could remove the hood that comes with it and clamp on your own light.

I woulda gone for the IM lagoon 25 but I was looking for something that's longer than my 15g (both tanks are 24 inches long)

A 40 breeder is a great tank (and like $40 on sale).  You can also buy rimless tanks with similar dimensions.  You'd probably want a sump, but it's not required.

Deep blue makes a 45 gallon tank that's 48 x 18 x 12, not sure if that's to long for you but they look like nice tanks. 

They're also Reef ready 🙂

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Reaperxvii said:

Deep blue makes a 45 gallon tank that's 48 x 18 x 12, not sure if that's to long for you but they look like nice tanks. 

or their 30 gallon 24 x 24 x 12

or their 34 gallon 36 x 18 x 12

• Thanks 1

Just note. The only stands I could find are now the series 5 stands (which I find odd because their own website doesn't have those on there).

So make sure you price those.

I have an IM tank and couldnt have better things to say about it, the 40 would be a great choice. I have also hear fantastic things about waterbox aquariums and their quality. They have a 40gal you could check out! 

• Like 1

Cadlights has a 45G called the Versas II.   Customer Service sucks, but it's a great tank and stand that measures at 36"x 24"x 12 if you want a sumped tank. 

TotesMaGoat

They make a 50 lagoon I was going to pull the trigger on ended up with an aquamaxx 48. Reefers are nice if you’re looking for more of a plug and play system. If you want to do a little diy check out aquamaxx tanks or deep blue

I purchased one from glass cages. I wouldn't do it again. The quality is questionable at best and the tank I purchased actually ended up fracturing along the bottom.

They also drilled the overflow in but never put a slot in the weir for a return. Plus the weir itself just pushed up against a piece of glass they siliconed in. 

Overall for the 280$ I paid I was extremely disappointed.

Never mind they made the tank an inch to wide making it unable to fit on any stands for it.

That sucks and is good to know.  I had a friend have a custom made tank from them and it was built really well and exactly as he ordered it.  Mixed reviews always suck on places because you never quite know if you're going to get the 'good employee' or the shite one.

Did they end up replacing the tank or fixing the issues?

I really wish there were more custom tank builders that were affordable.  I'd like to get another 40 breeder made with starfire/low iron glass when I upgrade.  8 years ago I had one built by a local shop and the quality and design was exceptional, but the price tag (about 900 bucks) was steeeeeeeeep.  

I am also looking into just saving up and buying a mostly turn key red sea system.  Make it easier to avoid all the DIY build stuff later on.

Reaperxvii

Unfortunately no they didn't replace it or refund me, their warranty states you have to mount the tank over a 3/4in piece of styrofoam basically that sits on top of a commercial stand (so basically it goes tank/styrofoam/stand)

I did not do this so they claim it was my fault and it voided the warranty. I tried explaining to them that my 125 gallon and 75 gallon both sit directly on the stand and have no issues but they weren't having it. 

When I purchased the tank it even game with the incorrect sized bulkheads. They were schedule 80 and wouldn't even fit the holes they drilled. Another issue is they drilled a 1 1/2in hole so far on the left side I had alot of issues mounting it on any sort of stand. There was only 1in of room between where the bulkhead set and the rim of the tank. The tank ended up fracturing along where they drilled the bulkheads and into the middle of the tank.

Overall it was quit a nightmare sadly as I was extremely excited about it at the time. I wish I would have taken more pictures of it but here is one of the weir they made.

When I went aquarium shopping I was wanting a 40 breeder and the 57 edge was as close as I could get. It also has starfire glass and looks really nice (I'm doing a tank build story if you want to take a look)

20180609_141055.jpg

20180609_113044.jpg