Innovative Marine Aquariums

Screwy Refractometer

Jono

I've been using a refractometer I had from when I used to do aquaponics and would dose some salt for fish disease. It's just a normal ATC refractometer. 

I was doing water changes today, and was testing, calibrating, testing, re-calibrating, and my readings were jumping ALL OVER THE PLACE. What would cause this? I'm a little worried because I want to double check my salinity, although I premixed water the other day before it started messing up,  so ASSUMING that if it was working fine then, it should be good. 

I keep it clean, and I haven't dropped it. I'm just confused. Guess I need to order a new one. 

I recently made the mistake of not shaking the calibration fluid bottle before using it. Causes a low reading if not properly mixed before use. Also Be sure to rinse with rodi and dry with a lint free cloth. 

You could also try calibrating it with RO/DI.  While maybe not as accurate as calibrating it with fluid, it should be consistent.  If it's still flaky, then you have a problem.

I just need a new one. The calibration fluid and RODI are both reading high, and I can’t calibrate it any lower. Wonder what happened 

burtbollinger

i had an issue when the refract. calibration liquid was @ 70 degrees vs 78...it read off.  scientifically not sure how that all works, but it happened.