ReefCleaners.org

Planing on AI Prime HD for 10 gallon - Unless...

coral reefer tx

9 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

So, Just off and on doesn’t  work? I mean there’s decades of T5 and MH on off fixtures that made some badass tanks. So the controllability is needed? Gimme a break. It’s a novelty that costs more. 

Actually it isn't for a led. Instant on led with no ramping up I would think would cause stress for critters everyone so long to keep.   A Mh fixture had a built in ramping up time, flour were not as brite on start up. I had favorite wrasse go carpet surfing just by turning light off once.

3 minutes ago, luckie1966 said:

Actually it isn't for a led. Instant on led with no ramping up I would think would cause stress for critters everyone so long to keep.   A Mh fixture had a built in ramping up time, flour were not as brite on start up. I had favorite wrasse go carpet surfing just by turning light off once.

You’re right. No one uses parbulbs with any success. 

• Haha 1

I would personally favor the Nanobox over the AI.  No one makes better lights, plus Dave is a longtime active member of this forum.  If I ever replace my Kessils (which I have very pleased with)  I will be going to a Nanobox unit. 

😉 It's the NR version of "Buy Local" 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

F*** it.............I'm getting the Orphek Atlantik V4 Compact Aquarium LED Lighting lol

EDIT: Just kidding

Go all out. literally break the bank for a nano tank hahahaha. 

17 minutes ago, specore said:

I would personally favor the Nanobox over the AI.  No one makes better lights, plus Dave is a longtime active member of this forum.  If I ever replace my Kessils (which I have very pleased with)  I will be going to a Nanobox unit. 

Always Buy local whenever you can. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Go all out. literally break the bank for a nano tank hahahaha. 

Speaking of breaking the bank on a Nano tank LMFAO.... I've seen a few posts, or comments shall I say. With people saying things like "that's a waste of money on a Nano tank". Or things of that nature. Every time I see someone saying "that's a waste of money on a nano it makes me want to turn my cabinet into something that looks like the filter rooms at The Aquarium of the Americas. LOL. 

All joking aside I went and followed your build, that light your getting does look like apple made it and it's pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing that. 

And to the original poster. Sorry for hijacking your thread and messing around on your serious question LOL. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Speaking of breaking the bank on a Nano tank LMFAO.... I've seen a few posts, or comments shall I say. With people saying things like "that's a waste of money on a Nano tank". Or things of that nature. Every time I see someone saying "that's a waste of money on a nano it makes me want to turn my cabinet into something that looks like the filter rooms at The Aquarium of the Americas. LOL. 

All joking aside I went and followed your build, that light your getting does look like apple made it and it's pretty sweet. Looking forward to seeing that. 

And to the original poster. Sorry for hijacking your thread and messing around on your serious question LOL. 

Lol. I spend the same amount of money I have spent on my 75g. I try to save the best I can. But its hard to avoid.. Kessil are Great lights nice shimmer too. 

I had the 1st gen micmol on my first 10g nano. That light grew anything I would throw at it. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Lol. I spend the same amount of money I have spent on my 75g. I try to save the best I can. But its hard to avoid.. Kessil are Great lights nice shimmer too. 

I had the 1st gen micmol on my first 10g nano. That light grew anything I would through at it. 

Yeah, I did the math with rock and sand aside obviously. What I've spent on the Nano I could have easily set up a Red Sea 170 equipment wise. I just really wanted a nano tank. 

47 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Yeah, I did the math with rock and sand aside obviously. What I've spent on the Nano I could have easily set up a Red Sea 170 equipment wise. I just really wanted a nano tank. 

Lmao. Thats what i say everytime i walk into my LFS and i see the red sea 650. Man "I shouldve just bought one of these" lol every time. 

• Like 1
coral reefer tx
3 hours ago, specore said:

The Nano Box does look great!  Looks like there’s a 2-3 week delivery time for new orders, so if I go that route I should do it quick.   Starting a new thread asking about the comparison between the AI Prime and Nano Box Mini Tide.   Did a search a couldn’t find a comparison thread.  

Sometimes too much analysis leads to paralysis.  But I’m pulling the trigger on one or the other by Monday :  )

Thanks again for the info, it’s really helped!

4 minutes ago, coral reefer tx said:

The Nano Box does look great!  Looks like there’s a 2-3 week delivery time for new orders, so if I go that route I should do it quick.   Starting a new thread asking about the comparison between the AI Prime and Nano Box Mini Tide.   Did a search a couldn’t find a comparison thread.  

Sometimes too much analysis leads to paralysis.  But I’m pulling the trigger on one or the other by Monday :  )

Nanobox has been making lights for NR members for years and I honestly believe they look superior to the AI units.  Add in the fact they are handmade, highly customizable, the opportunity  to support small business and its a no brainer.  

19 hours ago, coral reefer tx said:

Thanks for the info.   So I guess specific models of the lights listed above would be:

Kessil A80 Tuna Blue

Nanobox Mini Tide Plus 

Aquamax Nemo Light

Current Orbit

which Orphek?

Any thoughts on how the Nanobox compares?

4 hours ago, coral reefer tx said:

I wouldn't go with a Kessil A80 over a 10, one of the larger ones would be a good choice.  I have the older AI Prime bought secondhand and love it. Nano Box lights are great but not everyone can afford them  (though Dave just came out with a new on-off light for small tanks). I see you've ordered the Nano Box light so I think you'll really like it. 

3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I wouldn't go with a Kessil A80 over a 10, one of the larger ones would be a good choice.  I have the older AI Prime bought secondhand and love it. Nano Box lights are great but not everyone can afford them  (though Dave just came out with a new on-off light for small tanks). I see you've ordered the Nano Box light so I think you'll really like it. 

Why not on the ten? Plenty of great im10s with the a80. It’s essentially just an adjustable par 38. 

Without reading back was it a ten cube or a standard 10? On a regular old fashioned ten gallon I’ll agree with you. 

2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Why not on the ten? Plenty of great im10s with the a80. It’s essentially just an adjustable par 38. 

Without reading back was it a ten cube or a standard 10? On a regular old fashioned ten gallon I’ll agree with you. 

Mostly due to the reports I've read where it wasn't quite enough light, depending on what's being kept.  I think the A160, being dimmable, would provide more flexibility. :smilie:

The majority of these lights will all work fine, even for SPS, on a tank that small.  It really boils down to features at this point.   I'm not sold on the micmol's, I posted about them on here and RC for a friends build and they got shot down for having fairly week individual LED's, but for a tank that small they will most likely suffice.  

Nanobox's look good.  It's nice to see a small company doing handmade stuff here.  

Kessils are nice, its what I considered before choosing the AI because of the lack of built in controller.  If Kessil included the controller build in like AI did, I would have gone that route most likely.

Orphek... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

37 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Mostly due to the reports I've read where it wasn't quite enough light, depending on what's being kept.  I think the A160, being dimmable, would provide more flexibility. :smilie:

The a80 has the same adjustments as the larger pendants. We’ve both used par lamps. It’s like a par lamp with a bit of adjustability. You’d like it. 

On 6/23/2018 at 12:25 AM, 1891Bro said:

Last sentence sums it up. 

I definitely don't think it's necessary to have a system with a controller.

I have my 10g with a par38 with a timer, simple on and off.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I definitely don't think it's necessary to have a system with a controller.

I have my 10g with a par38 with a timer, simple on and off.

Without rereading everything I think I was agreeing with you. Who knows. 

On 6/23/2018 at 9:35 PM, 1891Bro said:

The a80 has the same adjustments as the larger pendants. We’ve both used par lamps. It’s like a par lamp with a bit of adjustability. You’d like it. 

I think it was more related to how powerful the light was.  And I'll be honest, I like the PAR bulbs I've used and think they're a good option, but I don't love them.  I'm not using one at present, I'm trying out the Lumini Asta over my new desktop pico.  I just was never satisfied with the color blending in my PAR bulbs (want to talk about color circles dancing on the tank?  Yep that's what I got lol).

17 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think it was more related to how powerful the light was.  And I'll be honest, I like the PAR bulbs I've used and think they're a good option, but I don't love them.  I'm not using one at present, I'm trying out the Lumini Asta over my new desktop pico.  I just was never satisfied with the color blending in my PAR bulbs (want to talk about color circles dancing on the tank?  Yep that's what I got lol).

I hear that. That and it was just a bit too white for me. Pretty sure that light you’re using is the same thing for the most part. Those dancing colors are why I wouldnt ever get another ai fixture. 

17 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I hear that. That and it was just a bit too white for me. Pretty sure that light you’re using is the same thing for the most part. Those dancing colors are why I wouldnt ever get another ai fixture. 

I like the Asta because you can alter the spectrum to an extent (as long as you hit the right channel on the remote lol) and I can turn up the whites for pics (still dialing this in though). The PAR bulbs made my zoas dull and lose color, though the blastos loved them.  I wouldn't use it over a big or wide tank but it's a nice little tank option.

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

I like the Asta because you can alter the spectrum to an extent (as long as you hit the right channel on the remote lol) and I can turn up the whites for pics (still dialing this in though). The PAR bulbs made my zoas dull and lose color, though the blastos loved them.  I wouldn't use it over a big or wide tank but it's a nice little tank option.

That’s what I’m saying. The asta and a80 are essentially the same light.