Cultivated Reef

Is it true??

Euphylin me

Euphylin me

so, i have had peppermint shrimp in the past without any problems. I have been browsing around and finding that some people claim they have munched on soft corals/ lps in their tanks. Are the ones being accused actually peppermint or do you think they are falsely ID'ed peppermints? (i have heard of some lfs's selling camel shrimp (not reef safe) to unsuspecting reefers)

8 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

so, i have had peppermint shrimp in the past without any problems. I have been browsing around and finding that some people claim they have munched on soft corals/ lps in their tanks. Are the ones being accused actually peppermint or do you think they are falsely ID'ed peppermints? (i have heard of some lfs's selling camel shrimp (not reef safe) to unsuspecting reefers)

It’s true. 

Euphylin me
Just now, WV Reefer said:

It’s true. 

that's crazy, ive never had a problem and ive had quite a few. That's why i thought people were buying them as mislabeled peppermints 

4 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

that's crazy, ive never had a problem and ive had quite a few. That's why i thought people were buying them as mislabeled peppermints 

Just keep them well fed and you’ll be cool either way. 🙂

3 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

I HATE PEPPERMINT SHRIMP! Srry for the all caps but I had a horrible experience with the one I bought and it was definitely a peppermint shrimp. I had just put a couple brand new corals in including a 75 dollar torch and the second I stuck it in there it started ripping its tentacles out. Then as soon as I tried to catch it it went into a hole. It took me almost 12 hours to catch this thing. Idk maybe it was more smart than others, but as soon as a net would touch the water it would immediately shoot underneath a rock. I would say they are questionable as reef safe and it depends on the one you buy. 

• Like 1
TotesMaGoat

As soon as it ate my aptasia it chowed down on some of my favorite palys. Luckily mine was pretty friendly and was able to grab him by the antennas after a couple hours of trying

• Like 1

Yup even when well fed.

Caught my 3 peppermints digging into my acans.

Totally destroyed 3 acans. Very costly lesson.

Needless to say, I caught them and got rid of them.

If aiptasia is in their diet- coral is a delicacy.

• Like 1

It’s potentially true but not all encompassing. If a peppermint shrimp eats aptasia it’s reasonable to expect once they are all consumed they’ll turn to the next thing that looks like them. 

Everyone forgot about the camel back shrimp being misidentified as peps? 

Either way, I’d rather have hep c than any kind of shrimp. Unless it’s shrimp 🍤 cocktail. That’s pretty good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Everyone forgot about the camel back shrimp being misidentified as peps? 

Either way, I’d rather have hep c than any kind of shrimp. Unless it’s shrimp 🍤 cocktail. That’s pretty good. 

Not sure how anyone can make the mistake between the 2 shrimps.

There is a significant difference in look.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2018 at 8:04 AM, Clown79 said:

Not sure how anyone can make the mistake between the 2 shrimps.

There is a significant difference in look.

I know I remember reading about it when I first got into the hobby. I don’t know if it was other aquarium keepers making the mistake or if the camels were being wrongly labeled by sellers. Either way, I’m still anti any shrimp in my tank after my experience with the “reef safe” (my ass) cleaner shrimp. Now that was a satisfying flush. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

What about coral banded shrimp? Have y’all ever had them eat coral?

Coral Banded Shrimps, “Stenopus”, do not typically ever eat coral. There are usually 4 types available, hispidus the most common which is just red and white and the females get larger and MIGHT go after very small fish if not fed well. Their bodies get about 3” and antenna can spread beautifully over a 6” span.

Then there are the yellow banded, golden, or purple coral banded shrimps that I prefer.  These species are typically smaller about 1.5-2” and significantly more peaceful.

I have a purple CBS, “tenuirostris”. She is just about an inch long and does not attack anybody. The most aggressive thing she does is dicing bigger bristle worms into pieces.  I’d be more concerned about my emerald crab than her.  1F53B265-090B-4EFA-BD7F-22240FDFB9EB.thumb.jpeg.0d16284000876fe43220dd3df4f78bbe.jpeg

On 6/22/2018 at 9:48 PM, Clown79 said:

Yup even when well fed.

Caught my 3 peppermints digging into my acans.

Totally destroyed 3 acans. Very costly lesson.

Needless to say, I caught them and got rid of them.

If aiptasia is in their diet- coral is a delicacy.

Clown and I had exactly the same experience with these little terrors. Mine had been model citizens for almost a year. The night I put two multiple head Acans in the tank they tore them up. I got up in the morning to find them sitting in the middle of what was left of the corals, happily munching away. They were definitely wundermanni, but because of this all shrimp are permanently banned from my tank. I do love them sauteed in garlic butter with a little red pepper and lime juice, though.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I know they can go after fish.

Had 1 long time ago. Don’t remember any misbehavior. However, they will go after food captured by corals. Worst case scenario.... getting captured food from their mouth. 

burtbollinger

my worst experience in this hobby is related to peppermint shrimp.  there is nothing worse you could put in a tank with acans, IME.

2 lessons from that experience...no peppermints.  no expensive acans colonies. (buy cheap acan frags and let them grow out)

Euphylin me
20 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

I know I remember reading about it when I first got into the hobby. I don’t know if it was other aquarium keepers making the mistake or if the camels were being wrongly labeled by sellers. Either way, I’m still anti any shrimp in my tank after my experience with the “reef safe” (my ass) cleaner shrimp. Now that was a satisfying flush. 

yea i read that sometimes an lfs will label a camel shrimp as a peppermint shrimp.... when i had my peppermints it was in a soft coral tank so that may explain my luck with them...they will not be going in my lps nano tank