Pod Your Reef

fish for my Biocube 16

sadie

I have been doing some research on fish for my 16 gal.  I want something I have never had before, but clowns are actually my favorite.  I was thinking of one clown (ocellaris) and I was thinking 3 pajama cardinals. 

Would that work?  I was at my LFS today and they had 3 of the pajamas and a few clowns and they seemed to all get along, and look nice together.

I won't be adding for a week or two, just trying to figure it all out now.  

That seems like a large bio load to add all at once, especially if it’s a new system. I also feel like feel all those fish would be cramped space wise in that size of a tank.

• Like 1

My tank is new, but everything else is about 18 yrs old.  I wouldn't add all the fish at once.  I would probably do one breed and a bit later do the other. 

What I was wondering is if 3 pajamas was too many or maybe just 2.  I'm def getting the clown (my favorite).  

20 hours ago, sadie said:

My tank is new, but everything else is about 18 yrs old.  I wouldn't add all the fish at once.  I would probably do one breed and a bit later do the other. 

What I was wondering is if 3 pajamas was too many or maybe just 2.  I'm def getting the clown (my favorite).  

As babies I think there would be enough space, I’m just thinking that as they mature and get bigger the space might cause issues. Personally I would probably go with 1 and 1 but you might be able to get away with two cardinals, I’ve never had the fish so I can’t chime in on their behavior.

would it matter which fish I added first- the clown or the cardinal?  If I just did the 2 fish (1 of each) could I add them at the same time?

14 hours ago, sadie said:

would it matter which fish I added first- the clown or the cardinal?  If I just did the 2 fish (1 of each) could I add them at the same time?

depends on how large the fish are.

I don’t have any experience with pajama cardinals, but my Nano-Reef Species book says they are nocturnal, grow to 3.1 inches, often do best when housed with members of their own kind... and looks like they are recommended for a tank with min size of 20 gallons. I’ve usually seen small ones at my LFSs, but saw what must have been a full sized one once and it seemed pretty big to me for a Biocube 16, but I’m not sure how fast they mature... 

• Like 1
TotesMaGoat

I think 2 fish would be my max personally. I’ve seen some fairly larger pj cardinals (in terms of nano fish). Have you considered fire fish or some small blenny or goby?

• Like 1

I have 4 fish in my Biocube 16 - 2 clownfish, 1 biota mandarin, 1 purple firefish. I do a 2 gallon water change 1-2 times per week to keep up with the bio load. I also run the coralife skimmer. (I’m considering moving my clownfish pair to my new tank so I can keep them with an anemone, and then replacing them with a couple of smaller fish like a tailspot blenny and citron goby in the Biocube, but I’m still in the planning/research stages for that.)