inTank Media Baskets

Replace skimmer with HOB refugium on my AIO?

nicholc2

I have an acrylic AIO with a built in skimmer area that incorporates overflow and return pump. I want to add a refugium but based on the way my tank is designed I can’t do an external overflow so an under the stand refugium won’t really safely work. 

What I was going to do was pick up an aquafuge2 and take out the skimmer and hang the aquafuge there. 

So so if I do that and get some cheato with a grow light will it export enough nutrients to replace or even do better than the skimmer does?

Based on my tank size I have to go with the small refugium which is still 13x12 so not bad. Just unsure if it’d be a good thing or a mistake. Thoughts?

While macro refugiums do export nutrients when pruned and removed, IMO, a bigger asset is with nutrient recycling of pods as live food.  I have been skimmerless for more than 30 years.  From my perspective, protein skimmers remove nutrients that grow coral and fish.  Aside from oxygenating the water, I see no advantage in using a protein skimmer.  

Lets talk a little about what protein skimmers do and don’t do.  First, what’s in the skimmate?  Mostly organics, in the form of bacteria.  Recent published articles on Advanced Aquaria show that, on the reef, more than 60% of organic nutrients as live food are carried  to hungry mouths by bacteria.  Why would I take live nutritious food away from my coral using a protein skimmer thus having to add frozen food or coral smoothies  to my tank.

Research showed protein skimmer efficiency with respect to removal of DOC (dissolved organic carbon):

Protein skimmers removed at best 35% of DOC

GAC removed 70% of DOC

Biological filter removed more than 50% of DOC

Of course, remove the skimmer.  HOB refugium would feed your tank, if you favored pod cultivation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Subsea said:

While macro refugiums do export nutrients when pruned and removed, IMO, a bigger asset is with nutrient recycling of pods as live food.  I have been skimmerless for more than 30 years.  From my perspective, protein skimmers remove nutrients that grow coral and fish.  Aside from oxygenating the water, I see no advantage in using a protein skimmer.  

Lets talk a little about what protein skimmers do and don’t do.  First, what’s in the skimmate?  Mostly organics, in the form of bacteria.  Recent published articles on Advanced Aquaria show that, on the reef, more than 60% of organic nutrients as live food are carried  to hungry mouths by bacteria.  Why would I take live nutritious food away from my coral using a protein skimmer thus having to add frozen food or coral smoothies  to my tank.

Research showed protein skimmer efficiency with respect to removal of DOC (dissolved organic carbon):

Protein skimmers removed at best 35% of DOC

GAC removed 70% of DOC

Biological filter removed more than 50% of DOC

Of course, remove the skimmer.  HOB refugium would feed your tank, if you favored pod cultivation.

Thanks!  That’s what I was thinking. I just wanted some reassurance. 

I actually already picked up some chaeto from a local reefer and am going to be setting up the refugium today!  🙂