Innovative Marine Aquariums

Advice on growing chaeto

MrsPeet15

Hi everyone.

I have made adjustments to the rear chamber of my Aquaone Nano 60 so that the 5 rear chambers are now 3 bigger ones.

I intend to grow chaeto in the middle largest chamber mostly to house a big Copepod population (our long term holy grail fish is a mandarin).

My question is, will the water movement in the rear chambers be suffice to keep the chaeto happy, or would I benefit from adding a tiny pump to keep the chaeto ‘moving’ so to speak? 

Any advice or experience would be gladly accepted.

thanks 🙂

67E436AE-8E2A-4E1B-9B31-DF6F9E0BF8D4.jpeg

The flow shouldn't be a problem, cheato  just needs nutrients and proper light spectrum to grow. But if you're long term is for a mandarin have you checked out the, diy pod condos. 

1 hour ago, straydog said:

The flow shouldn't be a problem, cheato  just needs nutrients and proper light spectrum to grow. But if you're long term is for a mandarin have you checked out the, diy pod condos. 

I have indeed I’ve done a lot of research recently and these look really cool, however I figured it couldn’t hurt to try and get a good population going in the tank for a year first. I’m hoping to buy one that’s feeding on flake/mysis but I’ve also heard they can feed on anything in the LFS and then decide they don’t like anything but pods once in a tank?

Thanks for confirming on the flow, I read somewhere months ago a guy had problems keeping his alive when it wasn’t moving around a bit in his fuge.

It seems to have different growth patterns in different types of flow and light intensity.

Check with the store and see if they carry tank raised mandarins , and see how there customers are doing with them. Ora was offering tank raised and people were doing great with there red dragonets a while ago.

10 minutes ago, straydog said:

It seems to have different growth patterns in different types of flow and light intensity.

Check with the store and see if they carry tank raised mandarins , and see how there customers are doing with them. Ora was offering tank raised and people were doing great with there red dragonets a while ago.

Thanks for the advice! My LFS is so much local but very reputable and well worth the drive - I’ll ask them if they ever stock them when I pop across my CUC next week. It’ll be a while before we can get one but never hurts to put feelers out IMO

• Like 1

I'd do a hang on refugium to produce more pods.

The more chaeto, more pods.

Mandarins eat 24/7 and even with multiple daily supplement feedings, they still will go through a lot of pods.

4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'd do a hang on refugium to produce more pods.

The more chaeto, more pods.

Mandarins eat 24/7 and even with multiple daily supplement feedings, they still will go through a lot of pods.

I’d love to but I don’t really have room without rearranging my entire house! I mean if the chamber idea doesn’t work I guess I could try the old bottle on the windowsill full of phyto method?

4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Do a search for Steven Parker copepods on Facebook - that guy has got it going on! 

Thanks I’ll have a look now! 

Edit - just had a look, turns out we have a mutual friend!

• Wow 1
7 hours ago, MrsPeet15 said:

I’d love to but I don’t really have room without rearranging my entire house! I mean if the chamber idea doesn’t work I guess I could try the old bottle on the windowsill full of phyto method?

Thanks I’ll have a look now! 

Edit - just had a look, turns out we have a mutual friend!

Wow, that’s nuts! Well hopefully he can give you some good tips!!!

9 hours ago, banasophia said:

Wow, that’s nuts! Well hopefully he can give you some good tips!!!

Yeah a guy called Paul Underwood who runs a Facebook marine group haha. Small world right? 😅

• Like 1