Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skimmer before and after

Aurortpa

Curious as to exactly what adding a skimmer has done for your tank?  What significant measureable changes do you recall happening before and after installing one for your reef.  

Since skimmers don't directly affect the chemistry of the water, measurable changes are few.  You will likely see a measurable rise in oxygen, and a fall in CO2, resulting in higher pH during the night.  You might also be able to measure a change in ORP.

I think the most compelling evidence is the visible gunk that is removed from the water.  There is no question that it is doing something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oxidation reduction potential: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/

Protein skimmers also help to remove dissolved organics.  And indirectly help keep phosphate and nitrate levels down by preventing them from breaking down in the tank.

Some potential negatives might be filtering plankton, bacteria, possibly iodine.  However, all in all, I'd say that they have a positive effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, seabass said:

Oxidation reduction potential: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/

Protein skimmers also help to remove dissolved organics.  And indirectly help keep phosphate and nitrate levels down by preventing them from breaking down in the tank.

Some potential negatives might be filtering plankton, bacteria, possibly iodine.  However, all in all, I'd say that they have a positive effect.

Thank you, such wisdom! ☺️

• Like 1