Cultivated Reef

any sumpless 40br out there?

devaji108

long story short I am moving my whole house around now that the GF moved in...in the process decided to set up a seahorse tank in my large reef and moving  the not SH safe coral and fish to a 40br just cant decide if I want to sump it or not?

trying to keep that tank as simple as possible. sometimes I think having a sump is simple then others I think a nice HOB  skimmer will do the trick...

so any one have a sumpless 40br out there can you share your thoughts..

Euphylin me

i have a 38g bowfront that i run sumpless...i have the marineland 30g filter with skimmer, i also have the seachem tidal 75 gallon (bc it has a surface skimmer) my tank is crystal clear and everything is happy. If you are going to go sumpless make sure that you have some good flow so that the hang on the back filters are more effective. i also have the im nuvo fusion 10

I've run multiple 40 Breeders without sumps.

Here's one with two HOB filters for filtration and flow, and a HOB skimmer (with no powerheads):

before.jpg

Here's a current (WIP) Caribbean 40B with a HOB skimmer, HOB filter, and powerhead:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/caribbean/060718a.jpg

Neither are exceptional tanks, but I wouldn't attribute the deficiencies to lack of a sump.

• Like 1

nice guys,

I keep going back in forth if I want to sump it or not...kinda driving me crazy...haha

I know either will work. just gotta make up my mind I guess.