inTank Media Baskets

growth rate of Xenia

ihglifelol

i got a one and a half inch frag of Xenia (a pulsing pom pom xenia) . I want it to grow so it covers the entire island rock which is not that large. Well grow big enough that it starts encrusting on the rock as i will be moving it to a larger tank in 2-3 months. how fast do they grow. is 2 months long enough for it to encrust on the rock? any ways to speed it.

Super freakin fast.  I frag mine every couple of months and make 10-15 bucks to pay for water/food for a while.  It will start to get out of hand pretty quickly if you let it 😁

15295203286903841156504389588503.thumb.jpg.0552368fb3688a57cd66daa7b07dbc08.jpg

That came from 4 stalks just a few weeks ago.  It's about 4" wide.  It's time for a trim before they start floating off to make a colony somewhere less desirable. 

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

In my experience, either it will love your tank or hate it.  I've had tanks where it grew insanely quickly.  But I have had one stalk in my current set up for like 4 years.  It seems to be doing better since I transferred tanks a couple months ago.... but who knows? 

Harrisonbored

I had a small golf ball sized frag that pretty much kept its size for about a year.  Then I went on a trip for 3 weeks and this happened while I was gone...

IMAG0059.thumb.jpg.65149fe7d882a2d45b4d9ba5ceaa2233.jpg

Once my tank hit the ppm amount of nitrate it liked it spread like a cancer.

Be careful what you wish for.

The 'species' I have in my tank went from one little polyp in February to a 5-inch handful in May of this year. It depends. Because I've had frags of it that melted too. I've had more success with the pink compared to the white.

my pom pom xenia are one an island rock completely isolated from my main rock,

to have invasive corals like xenia, best on an island

been a day and got a new fully grown polyp.