Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Left power heads and return pump off overnight.

Biocubelife

Biocubelife

God I’m such an idiot. I turned the pump and power heads off to feed my fish and coral and forgot to turn it back on. So basically it was off for about 11 hours. Anybody have any 911 measures I can take to recover this tank? ?‍♂️

Sounds like something I would do. How does everything look? Isn't this not much different than when livestock is shipped? If it can survive that than I think this should be fine.

• Haha 1

You might turn the temp down a couple of degrees just to improve oxygen levels.  If nothing is dead, then everything should recover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Biocubelife

Nothing has died as of yet. It looked pretty bad in the morning. A few mushrooms had closed up and my clowns and firefish were breathing pretty heavy. Everything looks pretty solid for the mean time. The clowns recovered fairly quickly. They spooked me because one was hanging out on its side at the top corner of the tank. 

Since i had fed them and all that food was hanging in the tank overnight with no circulation, should i do a water change? The water was smelling pretty bad... im such an idiot.

If the water is smelling, then yeah, I'd do a water change.  I'd also run some fresh activated carbon.

Test the water for ammonia.  If you detect any, dose some Prime.

I'd do a waterchange if the tank was smelling bad.

I forgot to plug a heater back on for a week after a waterchange...we all have our moments.

I feed with all my water movement on, too lazy.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and don't beat yourself up for it.  Stuff happens.  I've left my RO/DI overnight without a shutoff valve (quite a little flood in the basement).  :blush:

Edit: I swear I didn't see Clown's response before I typed this. :lol:

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Oh yeah, and don't beat yourself up for it.  Stuff happens.  I've left my RO/DI overnight without a shutoff valve (quite a little flood in the basement).  :blush:

Used to do this at least once every couple of months

• Haha 1

Some Prime will help temporarily detoxify the ammonia (converts it to a less toxic ammonium chloride for 24 to 48 hours) until the bacteria can process it.  I always have some on hand, just in case.

Biocubelife
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

Some Prime will help temporarily detoxify the ammonia (converts it to a less toxic ammonium chloride for 24 to 48 hours) until the bacteria can process it.  I always have some on hand, just in case.

I got Stability which has been doing wonders for my parameters. Might order a bottle of Prime and see how she works. What are some benefits for Prime?

Biocubelife
Just now, Biocubelife said:

I got Stability which has been doing wonders for my parameters. Might order a bottle of Prime and see how she works. What are some benefits for Prime?

12 minutes ago, seabass said:

I also have reef complete and reef plus as well as some trace elements. Will any of these benefit?

Dosing elements won't help; Stability might.  Seachem Prime primarily detoxifies ammonia (temporarily converts it to ammonium chloride).

When you have a crash triggered by no flow, the first thing that happens is the oxygen is consumed.  This causes some die off which raises ammonia.  Now the livestock is suffering from lack of oxygen and toxic ammonia (which could kill even more things, a domino effect).

Now that your tank's oxygen levels are coming back up, it's primarily the toxic ammonia that you need to worry about.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

Ph: 8.4

ammonia: .25

nitrite: 5.0

nitrate: 40ppm

all from one night. Water change done. Crossing my fingers. 

I didn’t read all the way through. 

Mid you’re using an api test for ammonia the .25 reading could just as well be zero. 

• Like 1

If the fish were breathing heavy that means oxygen was depleted and since the nitrite test is positive, it's more than likely ammonia is present too 

How much water did you change?  Keep in mind if you only change let’s say 20%, remember 80% of old water is still in there. 

Do you have a skimmer?  A skimmer will definitely help reoxygenate.

You can also temporarily aim all water outflows upward, only enough to create some breakage on the surface of water to increase oxygen.

In a pinch, add some polyfilter (the actual brand filter that purifies water, not the generic floss).  It’s always been my go to emergency supplemental filtration.

It is still debated that Prime runs a possibility to deplete oxygen significantly fyi.

People sometimes dose peroxide in a pinch to get oxygen levels up.  However, I'm sure by now that oxygen levels are sufficient.

19 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

It is still debated that Prime runs a possibility to deplete oxygen significantly fyi.

From Seachem tech support:

All water conditioners are reducing agents; reducing agents will "reduce" whatever is available within the aquarium. For example, it reduces chlorine(Cl2) to two separate chloride molecules. Though the potential to reduce oxygen is there with any reducing agent, this is very, very rare. Prime can be safely overdosed up to five times the recommended amount in an emergency situation. Doing so is very safe, and it would take a massive overdose to have any effect on the oxygen levels in the tank. Because Prime only works for 24-48 hours, its effects do not build up over time. Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have further questions.

• Like 2

@seabass  still debated, totally agree with you that there is no scientific sources just some aquarists that cite it as a cause of creating an issue but have no absolute scientific evidence yet.  Maybe another role had a play in their situation absolutely possible if not probable.

I actually read that response and yes that statement does appear true.  However, notice the tech support skillfully does not confirms or denies such instances actually happening...what exactly is "rare", what exactly is "massive", how much, at what point, and at what rate are they describing "reduce".  Maybe all answers were vague unintentionally...perhaps not?

Here is some more information from Seachem: https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001450473-FAQ-Is-it-possible-to-overdose-Prime-

While your concern has some merit in this situation, I wouldn't be overly concerned about dosing Prime after the pumps have been turned back on and left to circulate for awhile.  However, I believe this could be a problem if dosing Prime during a power outage or similar event.

• Like 1
Biocubelife
On 6/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, Aurortpa said:

How much water did you change?  Keep in mind if you only change let’s say 20%, remember 80% of old water is still in there. 

Do you have a skimmer?  A skimmer will definitely help reoxygenate.

You can also temporarily aim all water outflows upward, only enough to create some breakage on the surface of water to increase oxygen.

In a pinch, add some polyfilter (the actual brand filter that purifies water, not the generic floss).  It’s always been my go to emergency supplemental filtration.

Yeah it was a small 20% WC. Looks like the tank is bouncing back. I might do another 20% today or tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...