ReefCleaners.org

how many drip acclimate?

sadie

I’ve never done anything other than float a bag for temp. I never put the store water in my tank though. I recently dipped some stuff in total 3% peroxide. I just dipped the plug part and made sure not to get on the coral. Who knew giant pods were somehow hiding there. Had four giants bubbling to death in the bowl. 

I bought some more snails at LFS (just 3) knowing I had lost 2 of my 6 and thinking I might loose more.  She said the same thing, they only do it for temp.  So with the 3 I just floated the bag for like an hour till temp was right.  They were climbing all over the bag, so instead of placing them on the sand, I just picked them up and placed them on the glass and they stuck!  They did great for 2 days, then today they fell off the glass and are just sitting on the sand.

So all 6 of my original snails died and 1 of my 3...😡 

I have been testing my water and the ammonia might have gone up a smige (still yellow, but the lightest hint of green).  I did a 2 gal wc like I do every week.  I will give it a bit then try and add some new snails, this time I will wait like an hour and a half.

28 minutes ago, sadie said:

I bought some more snails at LFS (just 3) knowing I had lost 2 of my 6 and thinking I might loose more.  She said the same thing, they only do it for temp.  So with the 3 I just floated the bag for like an hour till temp was right.  They were climbing all over the bag, so instead of placing them on the sand, I just picked them up and placed them on the glass and they stuck!  They did great for 2 days, then today they fell off the glass and are just sitting on the sand.

So all 6 of my original snails died and 1 of my 3...😡 

I have been testing my water and the ammonia might have gone up a smige (still yellow, but the lightest hint of green).  I did a 2 gal wc like I do every week.  I will give it a bit then try and add some new snails, this time I will wait like an hour and a half.

Maybe get into escargot. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sadie said:

this time I will wait like an hour and a half.

Should only take about 20 minutes to temperature acclimate.  Also, the bags should still be sealed.  Opening the bags could raise pH and make ammonia more toxic.

However, I suspect osmotic shock could be a problem.  I'd check the salinity of your tank against the water in the bags before you plop them in.

Do you have any living inverts in your tank, or does everything die?  Maybe you have a copper problem.

7 hours ago, seabass said:

Should only take about 20 minutes to temperature acclimate.  Also, the bags should still be sealed.  Opening the bags could raise pH and make ammonia more toxic.

However, I suspect osmotic shock could be a problem.  I'd check the salinity of your tank against the water in the bags before you plop them in.

Do you have any living inverts in your tank, or does everything die?  Maybe you have a copper problem.

I always check for salinity, and I usually do open the bags (so I can add my tank water to the bag), but I clip it at the top to make sure the bag water doesn't leak into my tank.

I am only having a problem with my snails.  I added a little emerald crab maybe 2 or 3 months ago along with some blue leg hermits, more recently I added a cleaner shrimp that is doing well too.

Back when I added the emerald crab I also added some snails and none of them made it so I started testing for everything (including copper) I could in my water and found no problems.  I had 2 sw fish stores test and they found no issues (my tests were old so I wanted to rule that out too)  I bought a new heater thinking there might be a problem there.

Also the 6 snails were from a different store (thinking it was the stock from one store).

I think I will try adding less water at a time from my tank to the bag, and wait longer in between. 

TotesMaGoat

Coral I float the bag for temp then dip and put them in. Fish I acclimate with tank water over 20 mins or so by manually adding a few tablespoons of tank water every few mins

• Like 1