ReefCleaners.org

Back again 😂. Second opinions

darklordzulu

darklordzulu

Just ordered chemi pure blue and purigen seachem for my sump for better mechanical filtration. My tank has had debris floating threw out the water since I set up the tank. I've come to the conclusion it's decay from the live rock or marine snow. It doesn't seem to bother the clown fish or the shrimp as far as I can tell just makes the nano tank look ugly. So my question is mainly do you think the chemi pure and seachem will help get rid of the debris since the black sponge isn't working well. Here is a picture of the back sump compartment. I plan to just tie fishing line to the bags for easy retrieval. I want to also either buy filter pads or filter floss soon. I also would like to know if the ceramic rings in the center chamber that are in three box Chambers are pointless or not or if I can use the space for something better 

Recife_ECO_Back_Filter_Box_Web_large.jpg

25 minutes ago, darklordzulu said:

Just ordered chemi pure blue and purigen seachem for my sump for better mechanical filtration. My tank has had debris floating threw out the water since I set up the tank. I've come to the conclusion it's decay from the live rock or marine snow. It doesn't seem to bother the clown fish or the shrimp as far as I can tell just makes the nano tank look ugly. So my question is mainly do you think the chemi pure and seachem will help get rid of the debris since the black sponge isn't working well. Here is a picture of the back sump compartment. I plan to just tie fishing line to the bags for easy retrieval. I want to also either buy filter pads or filter floss soon. I also would like to know if the ceramic rings in the center chamber that are in three box Chambers are pointless or not or if I can use the space for something better 

Recife_ECO_Back_Filter_Box_Web_large.jpg

That flying gunk is normal in a growing reef. Filter floss will polish the water right up..... just change it frequently or it will become a nutrient trap. 

• Like 1

You could try trimming the sponge shorter and putting some type of floss on top off it. Purigen and chemipure don’t remove visible particles. 

• Like 1

Have you ever cleaned the sponge?

I'd slowly get rid of the sponge which is a nutrient factory.

Make a media basket.

Place floss in it with your other media 

Change floss twice a week.

The floss catches particles.

4 hours ago, darklordzulu said:

I also would like to know if the ceramic rings in the center chamber that are in three box Chambers are pointless 

Your tank's live rock is the biological filter.  So you really don't need another biofilter.  However, since the biological filter is already established, I wound take it out 1/3 at a time (a week apart).  Instead, this is where I'd put the chemical media.

I agree with Clown on the sponge.  Filter floss in that section is easier to replace than to clean the sponge.  It should also help with the floating debris.  You might need to make an egg crate stand for the floss.