Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

7 hours ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Can this be accomplished without an apex? I’ve researched the WiFi strips and couldn’t decide. 

Possibly.  I don't think you can get as in depth though.  For instance with the Apex I can program it to turn off multiple devices with one button push and then turn them back on automatically after a period of time.  It can also be programmed to stagger the turning equipment back on or to slowly ramp the return pump back to full power over a period of time.  

20 hours ago, specore said:

That sucks. Hopefully they don't get the other one.  Haven't seen any new signs of them in my tank, still trying to dip the affected Monti every few days until I am confident they are gone.  

Then he’s gonna go buy a forest fire digi haha👀

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
3 hours ago, specore said:

New desk per @Nano Nano Boo Boo's request.  Excuse the mess, still have some cords to put away and files from the old desk to re home.

Built it myself (bought the steel legs) from 5/4" local hickory. 

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

I think you just inspired me to build myself a new one. Looks fantastic! 

• Like 1

Quick angel update.  No signs of ich since the initial few spots.  Also zero aggression between the angel and the other fish, so looking like a model citizen.  

• Like 2
Just now, specore said:

Quick angel update.  No signs of ich since the initial few spots.  Also zero aggression between the angel and the other fish, so looking like a model citizen.  

That's a good news. I like fish that can take few punches and still comeback on top. 

• Like 1
Just now, A Little Blue said:

That's a good news. I like fish that can take few punches and still comeback on top. 

IME experience fish who are eating and otherwise healthy don't usually succumb to ich.  Never saw any spots or scratching on any other fish either.  I also think getting him from Live Aquaria where he had already been quarantined and trained to eat prepared foods made a big difference in this case.

Yup, strong immune system is key. Fish don’t usually die from ich. Ich weakens the fish, then lost of appetite, causes irritation, scratching against rock and eventually leads to other, more serious health issues, infections or parasites and ultimately death. Glad to see that it’s doing a lot better. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, specore said:

I had the same thing happen. A few spots each day that disappeared the next. He still ate and swam. He is super happy now with no signs of disease. My other fish never developed the the spots during this time

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

I had the same thing happen. A few spots each day that disappeared the next. He still ate and swam. He is super happy now with no signs of disease. My other fish never developed the the spots during this time

Glad your new guy is doing well. 

9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay!!! 😁

very nice!  That blue maxi is very pretty. 😍

Thanks.  It has been very happy in the new tank and has gotten close to 8 inches in diameter

• Like 1

Posted this in the identification forum yesterday but didn't get any attention.  Any idea what these are?  I'm pretty sure they are either majano or ball anemones, but not sure.  

image.png.abb024ac97efb47c4bdb222ee7fba83c.png

image.png.dbcbb7128f69a855d3aa19675626216c.png

1 minute ago, specore said:

Posted this in the identification forum yesterday but didn't get any attention.  Any idea what these are?  I'm pretty sure they are either majano or ball anemones, but not sure.  

image.png.abb024ac97efb47c4bdb222ee7fba83c.png

image.png.dbcbb7128f69a855d3aa19675626216c.png

It’s hard to tell from those pics but Ball anemones and majanos both usually have their basic shape even when teeny weeny......those look more irregular, or is that just the pics?

Nice vids. That last one looks like it wants to take off. Lol 

Impresive flow. At least from these vids. 

Mad to pest Q, no idea. Can really see anything alarming or recognizable in those pics. 

• Like 1

I've never been one to drop big money on high end corals.  Mostly because I would be sick if I dropped $200 on something that withered away in my tnk.  However, I am feeling confident enough with LPS that I see myself pulling the trigger on some high end acans in the next few months.  Something along these lines:

image.png.f04521f0e250559c5d5fc357797a1bcc.png

image.png.6ff075e1405bc63ef85bf43b1d8999ef.png

• Wow 1
8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Nice vids. That last one looks like it wants to take off. Lol 

Impresive flow. At least from these vids. 

Mad to pest Q, no idea. Can really see anything alarming or recognizable in those pics. 

And everything loves the flow too...even though some say 20-30x for LPS 😉

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, specore said:

And everything loves the flow too...even though some say 20-30x for LPS 😉

The number games can get very confusing for some. The only thing that doesn’t like turbulent flow in my tank is detritus. 👍

I say treat yourself with some eye candy. I think a $140 was the most that I have ever paid for a coral. But I am tempted by some nice chalices. But that’s at least a month or two away. 

Tank looks like it’s aging well. 

How is your nutrients level or what’s your methodology in that regard? 

Fairly low, although not non existent.  Weekly 4.5g water changes (so maybe 18-20%).  I vacuum a different section of the sand bed each week and the rear chambers every couple of months.  Other than that running Chemi-pure, chaeto in the fuge and blasting the rocks with t turkey baster periodically.  

image.png.94b1a10155fcf9dd895cd4566ddb4d88.png

2 minutes ago, specore said:

Bonus video of frogspawn enjoying the flow from the MP-10's

My kind of flow lol

I see you’re keeping your parameters a lot closer to natural sea water than I do (my Ca/Mg/Alk is way higher. I have no idea where my phosphates are). 

Have you tried increasing your nutrients levels and see if your setup can handle it? 

With all that WC, fuge and other means to keep phosphates at bay, it might be worth a try. Not sure if LPS or softies would appreciate nutrient rich water but SPS corals certainly would. 

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

My kind of flow lol

I see you’re keeping your parameters a lot closer to natural sea water than I do (my Ca/Mg/Alk is way higher. I have no idea where my phosphates are). 

Have you tried increasing your nutrients levels and see if your setup can handle it? 

With all that WC, fuge and other means to keep phosphates at bay, it might be worth a try. Not sure if LPS or softies would appreciate nutrient rich water but SPS corals certainly would. 

For now I'm just going to keep doing what I do.  I'm quite sure nutrient levels will eventually creep up on their own with all the feeding I do for the anthias.  I am shooting to keep alk closer to 9.5, but it sometimes dips a little.