inTank Media Baskets

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

A Little Blue
40 minutes ago, specore said:

I don't know what this means? ?‍♂️

What have you used?  I'm not planning to knee jerk react, but if his appetite or activity level changes I may try and remove to treat.  He hasn't even been scratching, so I guess its possible the spots are something else too.  

I meant tap your screen. It will focus on the area you tapped with your finger. 

For ich, I have used this (Ecological Labs AEL20907 Microbe Lift Herbtana) b4 with great success. It’s not a cure but immune system booster. Also reef safe so no need to remove the fish. 

7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I meant tap your screen. It will focus on the area you tapped with your finger. 

For ich, I have used this (Ecological Labs AEL20907 Microbe Lift Herbtana) b4 with great success. It’s not a cure but immune system booster. Also reef safe so no need to remove the fish. 

Nice.  I'll check it out

A Little Blue
12 hours ago, specore said:

Duncan has been very happy lately.  Have 3, maybe 4 new heads sprouting.

image.png.9f082d44476b0b0444a45d50c85979b4.png

Yeah, those ASD Duncs grow nicely. I also didn’t find a whole lot crap on their frags after dipping.  And I almost always find something. So, it says a lot about their good practice of keeping their stock healthy and clean. 

MuffinMonster
8 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

How is the flame back doing in the reef? Thinking about grabbing a flameback or a flame 

Im curious too. Im really wanting to get a Coral Beauty in my tank and I'm curious as to if it'll be an issue or not either. Was reading a lot about them and people recommend getting rid of soft corals because they find them more edible than sps.

1 hour ago, KW NANOREEF said:

How is the flame back doing in the reef? Thinking about grabbing a flameback or a flame 

1 hour ago, Dakoda said:

Im curious too. Im really wanting to get a Coral Beauty in my tank and I'm curious as to if it'll be an issue or not either. Was reading a lot about them and people recommend getting rid of soft corals because they find them more edible than sps.

He seems to be doing great.  I do see him nipping near the acans fairly often, but they aren't acting bothered so I'm pretty sure he's picking off something from near or underneath the polyps and not nipping at the coral itself.  There's been no aggression between the angel and any other tankmates either.  

MuffinMonster
1 hour ago, specore said:

He seems to be doing great.  I do see him nipping near the acans fairly often, but they aren't acting bothered so I'm pretty sure he's picking off something from near or underneath the polyps and not nipping at the coral itself.  There's been no aggression between the angel and any other tankmates either.  

Nice, I listened to a whole macna presentation from 2017 where they talk about keeping angels in mixed reef tanks. The highest recommendation was to get rid of any soft tissue LPS, like acans, trumpets, and zoas etc because they view these as candy and will eat them right up. But they don't really mess with euphyllia corals because they're too big. I think I'm going to be purchasing a coral beauty in the next 2-3 months. But after listening to the video on it I will be getting rid of my zoas, trumpets and acans before putting it in the tank.  I would rather give or sell them cheap to a friend and see them grow to be awesome big corals then chance it getting eaten in the tank lol. 

Nano Nano Boo Boo
9 hours ago, specore said:

Today's project.  Stain and seal the new desk for the fishroom...i mean office

A524F1D6-C933-45EE-8555-85BD20725D08.jpeg

Where’s the picture after completion?

• Like 1

Full battery of tests this morning.  Really surprised at nitrates being so low considering I feed his tank at least 4x /day most days.  Adjusted the dosing pumps to each run an extra second every 2 hours to try and bump alk/ca just a bit.  

image.png.9621eb5bc26ace739841b279488e317e.png

• Like 1

TFW your anemone looks like it had a big meal overnight and you can't find all of your fish.  Hoping once the lights come on everyone is accounted for 🤞

• Haha 1

OK, everyone is accounted for.  Made me nervous seeing the anemone all swole and the new $80 angel missing.  I mean, I feed my kids $0.99 boxes of Kraft mac and cheese, so definitely not into feeding my nems $80 fish courses. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
37 minutes ago, specore said:

OK, everyone is accounted for.  Made me nervous seeing the anemone all swole and the new $80 angel missing.  I mean, I feed my kids $0.99 boxes of Kraft mac and cheese, so definitely not into feeding my nems $80 fish courses. 

When my RFA doubled in size and my Clown Goby went MIA, it was easy to assume the worst. Goby kept me in the dark regarding his disappearing act for months. So, it’s easy to blame nems for missing fish. BTA aren’t suppose to be that aggressive. At least that’s what I’ve heard. I could be wrong tho. 

But it would suck if it did develop taste for rare and expensive fish. 😂

• Like 1

The green anemone apparently got tired of being crowded by the other 3 nems and has moved above the purple.  Curious to see what kind of turf war this starts, as the purple anemone doesn't look too pleased about being pushed out of his usual spot.  

12 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Help me understand what is this box for?

Anything I want really. They are just push buttons to which the apex can be programmed to respond to.  For example, one will be for feeding the fish add will shut down the return pump.  Another will be for coal feeding and will shut down all pumps.  A third will probably be programmed to turn off ato, heaters and pumps for water changes.  I'm also thinking one will turn on cabinet lights, and the last one may just be a cancel button for any of the other buttons.  Makes routine things slightly easier than having to go to the computer or the apex display.  Also will be easier for tank sitters to activate feed cycles when i'm away. 

In the end it comes  down to bright red buttons being cool to play with 🙂

5 minutes ago, specore said:

Anything I want really. They are just push buttons to which the apex can be programmed to respond to.  For example, one will be for feeding the fish add will shut down the return pump.  Another will be for coal feeding and will shut down all pumps.  A third will probably be programmed to turn off ato, heaters and pumps for water changes.  I'm also thinking one will turn on cabinet lights, and the last one may just be a cancel button for any of the other buttons.  Makes routine things slightly easier than having to go to the computer or the apex display.  Also will be easier for tank sitters to activate feed cycles when i'm away. 

In the end it comes  down to bright red buttons being cool to play with 🙂

Got it. Having control (as far as ON/OFF) over your pumps, ATO, skimmer etc. is very useful as far as feeding and maintenance is concern. I don’t have Apex but I did implement these features so I’m able to turn ON/OFF or put on timer assigned outlets via WiFi. Good job. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Man, I just had a new Starburst cap die off overnight due to nudis. Fortunately, it wax isolated and my other monti is fine. Knock on wood. 

That sucks. Hopefully they don't get the other one.  Haven't seen any new signs of them in my tank, still trying to dip the affected Monti every few days until I am confident they are gone.  

Yea, it was a tiny frag and and when I noticed the issue I pulled it out dipped it and cleaned it. It only had one adult nudi on it and some eggs. 

The frag didn't make it which sucks but at least it looks like I nipped a bigger problem in the bud. Especially since monti play a big role in my vision for the tank.

My mystic sunset is looking good and showing no signs. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Can this be accomplished without an apex? I’ve researched the WiFi strips and couldn’t decide. 

That’s what I’m using. No complaints. 

• Like 1