Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

So the biggest complaint about the LA salt mix is the entire 55lbs comes in one big bag.  Pretty sure I looked odd sitting at my desk with a scale and bags of white pow\der this morning, but now have pre measured baggies for each weekly water changes.  Too bad it wasn't 25 kilos of blow 🙂

IMG_2158.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, specore said:

So the biggest complaint about the LA salt mix is the entire 55lbs comes in one big bag.  Pretty sure I looked odd sitting at my desk with a scale and bags of white pow\der this morning, but now have pre measured baggies for each weekly water changes.  Too bad it wasn't 25 kilos of blow 🙂

IMG_2158.JPG

HAHA! I've been researching/thinking of switching salts.... How do you like this brand? Also hows that angel doing? I've always wanted one but afraid of what it might try to eat....

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Ikikimo said:

HAHA! I've been researching/thinking of switching salts.... How do you like this brand? Also hows that angel doing? I've always wanted one but afraid of what it might try to eat....

Angel is great.  Very little aggression (no more than the clownfish at least) and haven't seen any coral nipping.  I have had 3 or 4 atlantic pygmy's and this is my second flameback, and I have never had an issue with any of those.  The larger species of centropyge (flame, coral beauty, etc) can be more problematic, but I feel these guys are pretty safe.  

As far as the salt I have no complaints.  I've only done two changes with is and haven't bothered to test a fresh batch, but just finished a battery of tests and everything is pretty much in line with results from before the switch.  No precipitate when I mix, and it is ready to use within two hours.  

A Little Blue

Goldman Sachs isn't impressed. Their top floor go through that much blow monthly. 

And tank looks very nice. I like different theme on each island. Any particular reason for salt swap? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Goldman Sachs isn't impressed. Their top floor go through that much blow monthly. 

And tank looks very nice. I like different theme on each island. Any particular reason for salt swap? 

I liked the ESV just fine but got tired of having to measure 4 different components each time I did a water change.  TBH I used IO exclusively in my old Nanocube and had tremendous success, so guess I prefer easy and inexpensive.  IMO water changes, regular maintenance, etc is what really matters and too many people worry too much about what salt mix they are using.  

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, specore said:

New FTS

IMG_2164.JPG

What's the light? I dont think I've seen something like this? Is the entire bottom glass a diffuser or is it just the camera lighting?

• Like 1

Going through some growing pains as this tank hits adolescence and I have made a coupIe of foolish mistakes which may have pissed everything off.

First I was doing maintenance on the dosing pumps and accidentally dumped 200ml of calcium in the tank a few weeks ago.  Didn't seem to upset anyone immediately so I let it go and figured if Alk was in the correct range I would just let consumption and water changes bring everything back in line, which they did in about 3 weeks.  

Also have this cyano/dinos/whatever growing on the sand bed.  It's not crazy, but definitely there.  Decieded to add a second bag of chemi-pure to see if it helped.  Not a good idea!  Saw STN on two acros within a day or two, as well as LPS who weren't fully opening.  Removed both bags of Chemi-pure and STN stopped instantly.  Guess I won't do that again 🙂

Thinking it is just a result of the dry rock still maturing and trying to find its groove.  Been using the turkey baster more often, changing filter floss more often, etc and the problem seems to be getting better each day.  

Also have found a small patch of bubble algae, so added a couple of small emerald crabs hoping at leat one has a taste for the stuff.

Lastly replaced my deceased friend.  Hoping this one is as long lived as the last  which I had 4+ years. 

IMG_2167.JPG

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

What's the light? I dont think I've seen something like this? Is the entire bottom glass a diffuser or is it just the camera lighting?

Not a diffuser, just clear (dirty) acrylic.  Light itself is a Nanobox hybrid fixture with four arrays and two strips of RB/B/V leds where one two T5 lamps would normally go.  Guess now I have to remove and clean the shied 🙂

@micoastreefing is the only person I know of with a similar fixture

IMG_2168.JPG

• Like 2
A Little Blue
45 minutes ago, specore said:

I liked the ESV just fine but got tired of having to measure 4 different components each time I did a water change.  TBH I used IO exclusively in my old Nanocube and had tremendous success, so guess I prefer easy and inexpensive.  IMO water changes, regular maintenance, etc is what really matters and too many people worry too much about what salt mix they are using.  

I also don't pay much attention to particular kind of salt. I personally use Red Sea, but no particular reason for that brand over others. I like the way it mix and basic parameters. 

Perhaps some extra flow would help with your cyano/dinos outbreak... I know that's tricky to add more turbulent flow to aquarium with sandbed, but that extra flow might benefit your tank longterm. But honestly, little cyano never killed a reef before. Those phases come and go....... most of the time, unless there is more problematic issue that needs to be addressed. ( but I doubt it) 

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I also don't pay much attention to particular kind of salt. I personally use Red Sea, but no particular reason for that brand over others. I like the way it mix and basic parameters. 

Perhaps some extra flow would help with your cyano/dinos outbreak... I know that's tricky to add more turbulent flow to aquarium with sandbed, but that extra flow might benefit your tank longterm. But honestly, little cyano never killed a reef before. Those phases come and go....... most of the time, unless there is more problematic issue that needs to be addressed. ( but I doubt it) 

Yeah, and it's not too bad.  And I don't know how much more flow I can get without pissing off the LPS.  Have around 600 gph from the Varios return and two mp-10's , one running at 70% and the other at 40%.  Besides, I've always thought flow more or less helps to dislodge the thick mats of cyano, which is not what I'm dealing with anyway. Whatever it is the new conch is going to town.  The one half the tank he has been on is spotless.  unfortunately the rogue anemone is blocking him from passing to the other side of the tank  🙂

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, specore said:

Yeah, and it's not too bad.  And I don't know how much more flow I can get without pissing off the LPS.  Have around 600 gph from the Varios return and two mp-10's , one running at 70% and the other at 40%.  Besides, I've always thought flow more or less helps to dislodge the thick mats of cyano, which is not what I'm dealing with anyway. Whatever it is the new conch is going to town.  The one half the tank he has been on is spotless.  unfortunately the rogue anemone is blocking him from passing to the other side of the tank  🙂

Seems like more than adequate flow. I don't care much about lps in my tank. They get murdered with flow but not one have thrown the towel yet. I love coaches and always had them in my tanks with sandbed. Since going BB, it would be just cruel to get one for my amusement. Seems like you got it under control. Any changes/additions in the near future? 

42 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Seems like more than adequate flow. I don't care much about lps in my tank. They get murdered with flow but not one have thrown the towel yet. I love coaches and always had them in my tanks with sandbed. Since going BB, it would be just cruel to get one for my amusement. Seems like you got it under control. Any changes/additions in the near future? 

My issue is more because the MP-10's can only point straight ahead and something on either end is getting blasted.  There is a monti on the right island that will only encrust away from the flow, and the frogspawn gets roughed up pretty good if the mp-10 on its end gets above 40%

A Little Blue
52 minutes ago, specore said:

My issue is more because the MP-10's can only point straight ahead and something on either end is getting blasted.  There is a monti on the right island that will only encrust away from the flow, and the frogspawn gets roughed up pretty good if the mp-10 on its end gets above 40%

MP10 has kind of a narrow flow pattern. 

At least in comparison to Nero5 or Gyre. 

But having no wires in the tank is a big deal for many hobbyists. There’s no perfect design as far as I know. 

One of benefits of BB tank is flexibility with various flow applications, placement and ability for more turbulent wave pattern. Unfortunately with sand-bed, you’re kind of limited to what can be achieved without creating a sandstorm. 

You siad that you are running your return at 600gph. Did you experiment (long periods) with different settings? I am trying to figure out optimal contact time for my various filtration stages in back chambers. 

There are many anecdotal formulas for turnaround numbers. 5-10X is where the consensus seems to be at the moment. 

I have my own formula for this particular tank but wonder what your thoughts on this subject are. 

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

MP10 has kind of a narrow flow pattern. 

At least in comparison to Nero5 or Gyre. 

But having no wires in the tank is a big deal for many hobbyists. There’s no perfect design as far as I know. 

One of benefits of BB tank is flexibility with various flow applications, placement and ability for more turbulent wave pattern. Unfortunately with sand-bed, you’re kind of limited to what can be achieved without creating a sandstorm. 

You siad that you are running your return at 600gph. Did you experiment (long periods) with different settings? I am trying to figure out optimal contact time for my various filtration stages in back chambers. 

There are many anecdotal formulas for turnaround numbers. 5-10X is where the consensus seems to be at the moment. 

I have my own formula for this particular tank but wonder what your thoughts on this subject are. 

Didn't really experiment with the flow.  I pretty much push as much water as my floss will handle, as my primary concern is removing detritus via mechanical filtration. 

As for the MP-10's, I really like the programming and the different modes.  As for the wires...I honestly think the wire and motor being on the outside of the tank is more distracting IRL than being inside.  With that said, they do look better in photographs where you can crop out the crap hanging off the ends of the tank 🙂

A Little Blue
10 hours ago, specore said:

Didn't really experiment with the flow.  I pretty much push as much water as my floss will handle, as my primary concern is removing detritus via mechanical filtration. 

As for the MP-10's, I really like the programming and the different modes.  As for the wires...I honestly think the wire and motor being on the outside of the tank is more distracting IRL than being inside.  With that said, they do look better in photographs where you can crop out the crap hanging off the ends of the tank 🙂

Water contact time with the media/macro-algae is important to make it work efficiently. 

Fine tuning TFR (turnaround flow rate) in this type of tank is a bit tricky thought. 

We have two intake chambers (so pump flow rate has to be divided by 2) and each intake flow rate might vary depending on media used, amount of floss etc. 

In my case, it took a bit of try&error to figure out ways to distribute flow that is adequate (slower for better skimming) for skimmer/media basket side and fuge side (a normal/elevated flow rate).  

My TFR is around 400gph. Split that in half = 200gph for each intake/overflow chamber (approximately). That’s about 7.5/8.0 times of total water volume going through each side. So I assume that’s around the middle of “recommended” formula. 

Does that makes any sense? 

2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Water contact time with the media/macro-algae is important to make it work efficiently. 

Fine tuning TFR (turnaround flow rate) in this type of tank is a bit tricky thought. 

We have two intake chambers (so pump flow rate has to be divided by 2) and each intake flow rate might vary depending on media used, amount of floss etc. 

In my case, it took a bit of try&error to figure out ways to distribute flow that is adequate (slower for better skimming) for skimmer/media basket side and fuge side (a normal/elevated flow rate).  

My TFR is around 400gph. Split that in half = 200gph for each intake/overflow chamber (approximately). That’s about 7.5/8.0 times of total water volume going through each side. So I assume that’s around the middle of “recommended” formula. 

Does that makes any sense? 

Sure.  So since I don't skim the high flow rate should be fine either way?

On 12/2/2018 at 4:45 PM, A Little Blue said:

It's getting bullied?

Didn't see this.  i assume so.  Haven't seen any aggression and his fins look fine, yet literally won't leave the top corner of the tank.  Has been very active since day one until recently and the behavior to me fits what I have generally seen from fish who are being picked on.  

A Little Blue
8 hours ago, specore said:

Sure.  So since I don't skim the high flow rate should be fine either way?

See, those anecdotal rules of thumb drifted up and down over the years. Latest and greatest advocates for low flow, maximum dwell time. Reasoning being, ..... maximizing time necessary for media to do what it does. Same goes for biological part of filtration. Advice I hear more often lately is between 3-6 times TFR (depends who you talk to). And honestly, I really don’t think that this “rule” can be applied to every tank design or work for everyone. Not going too deep into it but it makes for interesting conversation. 

8 hours ago, specore said:

Didn't see this.  i assume so.  Haven't seen any aggression and his fins look fine, yet literally won't leave the top corner of the tank.  Has been very active since day one until recently and the behavior to me fits what I have generally seen from fish who are being picked on.  

Fits the profile but if you haven’t really seen it there could be other explanation. 

Smaller clowfish and Bolt the Chromis gets bullied all the time but they handle it a bit different than what you have described.  

Is it eating with the rest of them? 

New addition to the household...Christmas present for the 15 year old.  My wife has already named her Teef, translation below, which tells you everything you need to know about this "docile" animal's attitude 🙂 Literally took her about ten seconds to strike me on the thumb when we brought her home yesterday.  

image.png.d35e3648f35cc82c60913a7f928bcae9.png

Can follow along below, will be posting regular updates and photos.

IMG_2187.JPG

File_001 (9).png

• Like 2
Just now, A Little Blue said:

When it comes to snakes, I am with Dr. Jones. Can’t handle those creatures. 

A92683BC-7D2C-4FD7-81E5-7D313CF479F2.gif.29335f6a73b116ed437aacf90f007c91.gif

I've never had any interest, and my wife has specifically sworn to the kids their would never be one in her home.  Guess times change, and honestly the more I learn the more interesting they are.  This one is mean as piss right now though, which is unusual for the species but it is also likely she will mellow as she gets older.  Luckily getting struck by a snake weighing .3 lbs doesn't hurt at all..literally about the same as a static electricity shock. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, specore said:

I've never had any interest, and my wife has specifically sworn to the kids their would never be one in her home.  Guess times change, and honestly the more I learn the more interesting they are.  This one is mean as piss right now though, which is unusual for the species but it is also likely she will mellow as she gets older.  Luckily getting struck by a snake weighing .3 lbs doesn't hurt at all..literally about the same as a static electricity shock. 

Why, why, why ohhhh why? 

I do not even understand how is that a pet? 

Anyone coming to my house with a snake wrapped around their neck will get shot. 

• Haha 2