SaltCritters.com

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

I've officially given up on the stock mesh top.  Ordered the 1/8" clear netting from BRS and will replace the stock stuff next week.  I loved the way it looked but just feel like it is blocking too much light.  I have the Nanobox approaching deathstar mode and just am not seeing the reaction from the corals I would expect (pretty much feel they should be balled up in the fetal position at this point).  Guess next week I'll swap the mesh and back the light down a little and see how everything does.  

• Like 2
Nano Nano Boo Boo
7 minutes ago, specore said:

Looking at my BRS account just now.   

Is this normal?  I'm going with yes...maybe 🙂

image.png.c101106201ab1e0c1ced54136469fb03.png

Basically looks like auto ship! Lol

• Like 2

Got new test kits for nitrates and phosphates today. 

Phosphates .04ppm

Nitrates 3ppm

I expected phosphates to read lower, as I have the chaeto light running 17 hrs each day and have virtually no visible algae in the display, despite the frequent feedings.  TBH I'm not completely sure how to interpret these results. I do know my sps aren't coloring up the way I had hoped.  I do believe the mesh top is playing a role by blocking a fair amount of light and now I am wondering nutrient levels could be playing a role as well.   

A Little Blue
On 8/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, specore said:

I've officially given up on the stock mesh top.  Ordered the 1/8" clear netting from BRS and will replace the stock stuff next week.  I loved the way it looked but just feel like it is blocking too much light.  I have the Nanobox approaching deathstar mode and just am not seeing the reaction from the corals I would expect (pretty much feel they should be balled up in the fetal position at this point).  Guess next week I'll swap the mesh and back the light down a little and see how everything does.  

Stock netting is junk. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, specore said:

NEW LONGEST STREAK FOR STEVE: 10 Days! That’s right 10 whole days without ordering!!

• Like 2
Nano Nano Boo Boo
5 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

NEW LONGEST STREAK FOR STEVE: 10 Days! That’s right 10 whole days without ordering!!

5 hours ago, KW NANOREEF said:

I bought some reef chili last night from them to make myself feel better after the power outage. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

I bought some reef chili last night from them to make myself feel better after the power outage. 

100% insane

• Like 1

Alright, new 1/8" BRS netting installed.  I backed the lights down from 58.6% overall intensity to 40% (that's a 31.7% reduction in light).  Hoping to see a better response from everything now without having to run these lights all out.  

On a side note I have enough mesh to do 3-4 more IM tops.  If anyone wants to Paypal me a couple of bucks for shipping I'll send you a piece.  

Before and after

IMG_1830.thumb.JPG.7105b3326aee76b40c539292c473773f.JPG

I also decided to create a spreadsheet to help me ramp up the five channels in the correct proportions.  Sometimes the accountant in me just takes over 😏

image.png.641c9ba90ad85106f64c3e613dca07d5.png

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Looks good. BTW looks like I might be one of the few that likes my reef tank a little more white. 

I like mine more white.  The mint essentially provides the same look as white to the naked eye.  

A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, specore said:

I like mine more white.  The mint essentially provides the same look as white to the naked eye.  

So there are two of us than. Lol 

Blues hide bad stuff pretty well and complements corals fluorescence. 

Corals also grow faster in full spectrum between 10-15K.

When I take pics of my tank, I always try to use post-processing to truthfully show what my tank and corals actually look like (to my eyes). 

• Like 1
Just now, A Little Blue said:

When I take pics of my tank, I always try to use post-processing to truthfully show what my tank and corals actually look like (to my eyes). 

I don't post process, but do have the photo mode on the lights set to get the pictures closer to what my eye sees.  Seeing the corals glow under actinic lighting is cool, but anything which doesn't gets lost and washed out (including my fish).  There's definitely a balancing act to get a little flourescence without washing out the other inhabitants.  

• Like 3
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, specore said:

I don't post process, but do have the photo mode on the lights set to get the pictures closer to what my eye sees.  Seeing the corals glow under actinic lighting is cool, but anything which doesn't gets lost and washed out (including my fish).  There's definitely a balancing act to get a little flourescence without washing out the other inhabitants.  

Sure thing. I try to compromise with my lights programing. I blast my corals earlier in the day with light spectrum that is closer to 13K for growth. It also helps to see issues with corals, fish or spot unwanted pests. And later, light goes into flourescent (16-18K) mode for eye candy enjoyment.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 8/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, specore said:

That's how my disc golf account looks lol

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I still can't get good pics of my tank. More practice is needed I guess.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
32 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I still can't get good pics of my tank. More practice is needed I guess.

Are you using the AquariumCam app? If so, I can give you some pointers. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I'll take any pointers you have on that thing 🙂

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

No unfortunately I don't have an iPhone. I'm gonna try and see if I can find some cheap filters to tape on my phone camera. Will see what happens. Thanks for the help though 🙂

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Seconded 

Let’s see.... I took some screenshots of settings that kinda work for me. 

ECBD1841-CAD2-4E57-ADEB-E6025CDAE380.thumb.jpeg.bf2b9c28c140f73856d27534b45c2084.jpeg

After turning on the “Gel” filter, making sure your lens is clean and hand steady, play with RGB (especially the Red channel). Anywhere above %50 works for me on most shots.  Don’t touch green or blue channels. You can experiment with blue channel but I haven’t seen much improvement over the auto setting. 

693618E6-4195-4770-960A-FF3627C5AE53.thumb.jpeg.f932645b16be560b9eccd16b392b0808.jpeg

Then adjust WB - slider on the left side- it’s basically brightness/exposure (white balance). Usually %50 or less works for me. Play between Red channel in RGB settings and WB till you get the picture that looks most realistic to your eye. 

Zoom in on specific coral and compare color, saturation, shadows and brightness. Adjust if needed. 

I cant say with confidence that it will work for you with your light settings but it works for me. 

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Let’s see.... I took some screenshots of settings that kinda work for me. 

ECBD1841-CAD2-4E57-ADEB-E6025CDAE380.thumb.jpeg.bf2b9c28c140f73856d27534b45c2084.jpeg

After turning on the “Gel” filter, making sure your lens is clean and hand steady, play with RGB (especially the Red channel). Anywhere above %50 works for me on most shots.  Don’t touch green or blue channels. You can experiment with blue channel but I haven’t seen much improvement over the auto setting. 

693618E6-4195-4770-960A-FF3627C5AE53.thumb.jpeg.f932645b16be560b9eccd16b392b0808.jpeg

Then adjust WB - slider on the left side- it’s basically brightness/exposure (white balance). Usually %50 or less works for me. Play between Red channel in RGB settings and WB till you get the picture that looks most realistic to your eye. 

Zoom in on specific coral and compare color, saturation, shadows and brightness. Adjust if needed. 

I cant say with confidence that it will work for you with your light settings but it works for me. 

First few times I used the app it was great. Now everything is basically blued out. I’ll try your advice tomorrow. Thanks for the pair!

• Like 1
A Little Blue
Just now, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

First few times I used the app it was great. Now everything is basically blued out. I’ll try your advice tomorrow. Thanks for the pair!

Use Red channel in RGB settings to adjust color. More red equals less blue. 

• Like 2