Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

A Little Blue
28 minutes ago, specore said:

What can I say...it's a process

IMG_1700.JPG

I feel ya. That’s what my undercarriage looks like. Well, maybe a little better. Lol

279C7DDD-CF55-4912-9F6D-E4D11402B91C.thumb.jpeg.7c9d37590f24b8e6b76f42a86429eb41.jpeg

B978AB22-E260-4C81-9A91-74CCF6D058BB.thumb.jpeg.ef4d5b2fa152aae2a801062029acfb22.jpeg

KW NANOREEF
9 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I feel ya. That’s what my undercarriage looks like. Well, maybe a little better. Lol

279C7DDD-CF55-4912-9F6D-E4D11402B91C.thumb.jpeg.7c9d37590f24b8e6b76f42a86429eb41.jpeg

B978AB22-E260-4C81-9A91-74CCF6D058BB.thumb.jpeg.ef4d5b2fa152aae2a801062029acfb22.jpeg

Quit bragging haha. You should see behind my tank it’s a nightmare. 

A Little Blue
Just now, KW NANOREEF said:

Quit bragging haha. You should see behind my tank it’s a nightmare. 

Not even.... you should have seen it a week ago. 🤫🤣

It looked like a 2hrs job that turned into a whole day maze of frustration. 

• Like 2

Claims to love AIO's for their simplicity...

Then spends 3 hours and somewhere around 200 cable ties trying to organize the 2 miles of cords, cables and tubing from said "simple" setup.  

IMG_1702.thumb.JPG.ea1ae74ea9480566512c01a8e7bcb1d0.JPG

This is going to be as good as it gets.  It is clear at this point that exceptional cable management has to involve black  magic.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

How major? 

Not really that exciting.  Not cheap either though 🙂

Biggest issue is figuring out where to put another power brick and controller

A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, specore said:

Not really that exciting.  Not cheap either though 🙂

Biggest issue is figuring out where to put another power brick and controller

Neptun?

6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Neptun?

Nope.  Honestly I LOVE my Apex.  At the same time most of the products Neptune has come out with in the last 3-4 years seem to lack the quality I would expect from Neptune.  The one exception is maybe the DOS, but even it has had mixed reviews with a lot of people reporting cheap plastic parts which wear out quickly and then become a hassle to fix/replace.  

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, specore said:

Nope.  Honestly I LOVE my Apex.  At the same time most of the products Neptune has come out with in the last 3-4 years seem to lack the quality I would expect from Neptune.  The one exception is maybe the DOS, but even it has had mixed reviews with a lot of people reporting cheap plastic parts which wear out quickly and then become a hassle to fix/replace.  

what's with the mystery? spill it already?  what new toy (seriously, nothing is "essential" at this point with your setup) did you get for the tank?

3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

what's with the mystery? spill it already?  what new toy (seriously, nothing is "essential" at this point with your setup) did you get for the tank?

Lol..it's just a pair of MP-10's from BRS.  I feel like the single MP-10 doesn't get enough flow to the far end of the tank unless I crank it all the way up, and if I crank it up it stirs up sand and/or sucks air.  The second MP-10 is so I can return the current one to BRS.  It is refusing to go into the correct mode and pair with my Apex, and the bastards at Ecotech refuses to do any trouble shooting with me so it is going back to them.  

• Like 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, specore said:

Lol..it's just a pair of MP-10's from BRS.  I feel like the single MP-10 doesn't get enough flow to the far end of the tank unless I crank it all the way up, and if I crank it up it stirs up sand and/or sucks air.  The second MP-10 is so I can return the current one to BRS.  It is refusing to go into the correct mode and pair with my Apex, and the bastards at Ecotech refuses to do any trouble shooting with me so it is going back to them.  

well good to hear that the mighty MP-10 still can't send flows across a 3-foot tank, at least not without major other disruptiveness. 

I'm planning on putting a second 6040 in and decommission a koralia and a KPS. I got the second 6040 during the DFS bonanza a couple weeks ago, half-price!. 

Edited by micoastreefing
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

well good to hear that the mighty MP-10 still can't send flows across a 3-foot tank. I'm planning on putting a second 6040 in and decommission a koralia and a KPS. I got the second 6040 during the DFS bonanza a couple weeks ago, half-price!. 

It can get flow across the 3 foot tank, just needs more than 12 inches of water to do it without shooting sand and water as well 🙂

I've read some people complaining about the noise from the 6040 being unbearable...is that not you experience?

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, specore said:

It can get flow across the 3 foot tank, just needs more than 12 inches of water to do it without shooting sand and water as well 🙂

I've read some people complaining about the noise from the 6040 being unbearable...is that not you experience?

man, you were quick to reply - didn't get a chance to edit my post. 

eh, my tank is in the basement - my man cave if you can call it that, my wife dislikes (hates?) being in the basement.  I can sneak corals in and out more easily 😈, mostly in.

It was loud when I got my first used one from a member on here, i thought i got sold a lemon. There are certain frequencies/settings where it was especially louder than any powerhead that size should be.  But It also pushes more flows than any other powerhead I had up to that point, so I dealt with it.  So after running it for a while, I decided to do a full cleaning (disassembled, vinegar bathed and all that jazz) and re-set the propeller blade on the magnetic shaft (which might help with its propeller balance point?).  I think it's because the propeller just floats inside the motor socket with nothing holding it on the other end might be the source of extra vibration when the propeller is not proper seated.  Also Tunze driver hums quite a bit in wave mode, but i heard similar concerns with ecotech until they came out with QD. 

7 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

man, you were quick to reply - didn't get a chance to edit my post. 

eh, my tank is in the basement - my man cave if you can call it that, my wife dislikes (hates?) being in the basement.  I can sneak corals in and out more easily 😈, mostly in.

It was loud when I got my first used one from a member on here, i thought i got sold a lemon. There are certain frequencies/settings where it was especially louder than any powerhead that size should be.  But It also pushes more flows than any other powerhead I had up to that point, so I dealt with it.  So after running it for a while, I decided to do a full cleaning (disassembled, vinegar bathed and all that jazz) and re-set the propeller blade on the magnetic shaft (which might help with its propeller balance point?).  I think it's because the propeller just floats inside the motor socket with nothing holding it on the other end might be the source of extra vibration when the propeller is not proper seated.  Also Tunze driver hums quite a bit in wave mode, but i heard similar concerns with ecotech until they came out with QD. 

I love the profile of the 6040 and have had good experiences with Tunze in the past.  This is actually the first Vortech I've ever owned and sits in a tank about 3 feet away from the desk where I spend 50 hours a week.  Have never heard a sound from it.  

• Like 1

Sadly anthias #2 passed quietly on 8/1/18.  Anthias #1 is still greedily eating micro plankton and Ova, and very small pieces of Ocean Nutrition Reef Flakes.  The 3-5x per day feedings aren't taking a dramatic toll on the tank as of yet; however, the glass cleanings are needing to be done more frequently.  

Sometimes I wonder how much money we would save if there were no such thing as shopping online.  It has gotten to be a pretty regular thing for our UPS driver to dollypackages to the door.

IMG_1709.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
40 minutes ago, specore said:

Sometimes I wonder how much money we would save if there were no such thing as shopping online.  It has gotten to be a pretty regular thing for our UPS driver to dollypackages to the door.

IMG_1709.JPG

My wife made this comment last night. A day without a delivery is kind of a sad day lately. Haha. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Sadly anthias #2 passed quietly on 8/1/18.  Anthias #1 is still greedily eating micro plankton and Ova, and very small pieces of Ocean Nutrition Reef Flakes.  The 3-5x per day feedings aren't taking a dramatic toll on the tank as of yet; however, the glass cleanings are needing to be done more frequently.  

You need to feed it more often (4-6 times a day). 

5 hours ago, specore said:

Nice! I have 3 KPS wave pumps in my 30l. 🤫

Couple of updates:

Got the new MP-10 and it won't connect to the WXM module either.  So now I at least know the problem is with the module, not the MP-10.  Working with Neptune Systems  on the repair authorization.

The second MP-10 needs to be dialed way down on the end of the tank with the frogspawn and hammer.  The hammer in particular was thoroughly pissed about the new toy.  Will be moving it a little further back in the tank so it is not directly in the line of fire.  Even with the move I need to run the second MP-10 at 20-25% max.  

The remaining anthias is still doing really, really well.  As of today he is aggressively going after flake food, even though he spits most of it out.  I expect him to stop spitting it out in relatively short order, which will be good since it delivers a more focused punch than the hundreds of tiny Ova he is now eating. 

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
46 minutes ago, specore said:

Couple of updates:

Got the new MP-10 and it won't connect to the WXM module either.  So now I at least know the problem is with the module, not the MP-10.  Working with Neptune Systems  on the repair authorization.

The second MP-10 needs to be dialed way down on the end of the tank with the frogspawn and hammer.  The hammer in particular was thoroughly pissed about the new toy.  Will be moving it a little further back in the tank so it is not directly in the line of fire.  Even with the move I need to run the second MP-10 at 20-25% max.  

The remaining anthias is still doing really, really well.  As of today he is aggressively going after flake food, even though he spits most of it out.  I expect him to stop spitting it out in relatively short order, which will be good since it delivers a more focused punch than the hundreds of tiny Ova he is now eating. 

Glad to hear about the Anthia doing well! Heard insane things about the MPs, keep us posted! 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Couple of updates:

Good news about Anthias. There is never enough flow in my tank. Lmao

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
Just now, A Little Blue said:

Good news about Anthias. There is never enough flow in my tank. Lmao

I’m just going to let him experiment and make sure I camp out for his reefing yard sale. Haha. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

I’m just going to let him experiment and make sure I camp out for his reefing yard sale. Haha. 

Doesn’t have to perfectly clean either. 😉