Innovative Marine Aquariums

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

Lol yes I was.  Sorry that was so disjointed, i'm just coming back to the site and have forgotten how to do all of this.  That being said, my 30L is arriving Tuesday and I can't wait!

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Monti nudis are major PITA. I don’t know if any effective/bulletproof way to get rid of these pests. Dipping will irritate them and make them easier to spot and remove. I’m not sure if dip actually kills them (I doubt it). Physical removal is your only option. I also don’t know any natural predator that feeds on these guys. Removing montis to quarantine tank would be ideal. Treating them there and let whatever nudis that remain in the main tank starve. 

19 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Monti nudis are major PITA. I don’t know if any effective/bulletproof way to get rid of these pests. Dipping will irritate them and make them easier to spot and remove. I’m not sure if dip actually kills them (I doubt it). Physical removal is your only option. I also don’t know any natural predator that feeds on these guys. Removing montis to quarantine tank would be ideal. Treating them there and let whatever nudis that remain in the main tank starve. 

Luckily I only have 3 montis at this point and all are small, inexpensive frags.  Coral-rx removed at least three, butI was definitely hoping to see more corpses in the dip solution.  We'll see, worst case I wait a few months and then add a couple more month frags .  Would definitely be more upsetting if I had mature colonies.

Three ironic part is I never dipped before, but something last week told me I should have something on hand  to do so.  So my Coral-rx arrived last Friday.  So after fifteen years of reefing I have had coral dip on hand for exactly one week and now have pests 😀

A Little Blue
34 minutes ago, specore said:

Luckily I only have 3 montis at this point and all are small, inexpensive frags.  Coral-rx removed at least three, butI was definitely hoping to see more corpses in the dip solution.  We'll see, worst case I wait a few months and then add a couple more month frags .  Would definitely be more upsetting if I had mature colonies.

Three ironic part is I never dipped before, but something last week told me I should have something on hand  to do so.  So my Coral-rx arrived last Friday.  So after fifteen years of reefing I have had coral dip on hand for exactly one week and now have pests 😀

I know. Lol 

I don’t like dipping myself but it pays off in a long run. Rarely have I received pest free frags. I do have some dipping horror stories and my dumb moments while dipping. In short, I found the most effective dip solution of all. It has %100 mortality. 🤣

• Like 1

This makes me a little nervous.  Already called costumer service and they assured me the package will arrive this morning.  Fingers crossed 🤞

8CA52496-B0BE-418E-B894-F2EBBEFB7415.png

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

With nudis do you use like a coral rx or do you actually use bayer? I don't have montis so I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with these things and was just wondering.

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

With nudis do you use like a coral rx or do you actually use bayer? I don't have montis so I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with these things and was just wondering.

I used Coral Rx.  Had it on hand and it specifically lists monti eating nudis on the label.  Saw 3 die and fall off the frag after dipping, so guess it works ok.  When I dip the new additions today I'll probably re dip the affected monti as well.  

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, specore said:

I used Coral Rx.  Had it on hand and it specifically lists monti eating nudis on the label.  Saw 3 die and fall off the frag after dipping, so guess it works ok.  When I dip the new additions today I'll probably re dip the affected monti as well.  

Ahhh gotcha well good luck I hope you can beat them. Do you have any fish that will eat them as well?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ahhh gotcha well good luck I hope you can beat them. Do you have any fish that will eat them as well?

No, unfortunately not.  The clownfish would love nothing more than to take off my finger, but isn't bothered by nudis eating my corals 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, specore said:

No, unfortunately not.  The clownfish would love noting more than to take off my finger, but isn't bothered by nudis eating my corals 🙂

I feel ya with the love/hate relationship. I have one clown only in my 20. So far she's been a model citizen though. Like you've said though give it time lol. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
50 minutes ago, specore said:

No, unfortunately not.  The clownfish would love noting more than to take off my finger, but isn't bothered by nudis eating my corals 🙂

Yeah they could not care less unless you try to mess with their anemone. My female clown also goes after my hand. But it’s my fault as I used to hand feed her for quite a while. Big mistake. 

As to nudi subject..... did you say that Coral Rx killed monti nudis or just made them “numb”? 

Initial impressions from my first Live Aquaria order:

- Packing and handling was first rate.  

- Size estimates for the wsiwyg are conservative.  The tort is easily the largest "frag" I've ever gotten and probably over 3 inches long.  The angelfish is pushing 3 inches as well, and I would assume is pretty much full grown.

- Everything appears to be in excellent health.  Within 20 minutes of being introduced the flameback is already eating some Ova

Taking my girls to see Taylor Swift in Nash-vegas tonight, so will try and get some picture tomorrow.  

• Like 2

Crappy Iphone video of the new angel.  Had an eventful weekend which included having our car broken into during the Taylor Swift concert.  Got to drive 3 hours to home  in the middle of the night without a driver's side window...fun.  

• Like 1

Couple of pics of the Live Aquaria coral additions.  The Ice Tort slimed really heavily the first day and has gone nearly white.  Day three and it is showinf some polyps, so hopefull it will bounce back soon.  

ORA Ice Tort

IMG_1882.thumb.JPG.644244433b91128988da64de8d8ee791.JPG

LA Red Shortcake

IMG_1881.thumb.JPG.9e32e28f74b4c1c3ba9bac4ccf2ae478.JPG

• Like 1

A few pictures of two random acros.  I feel like these are both settling in and the first has been encrusting like crazy and appears to be starting to go vertical. 

Unkown Acro #1 

6-19-18

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.0ae78177af4e58229b402b223cf2c233.JPG

Today

IMG_1902.thumb.JPG.e2e80b6915e0d855ddff3c45ee74aced.JPGIMG_1900.thumb.JPG.6c92041a6af83ef5541e5e69932bdb74.JPG

Unknown Acro 2

IMG_1888.thumb.JPG.9625bf096bf6cd44fefe8edc06842df0.JPGIMG_1891.thumb.JPG.7ef01aac55fdee60220a94e67c476d0b.JPG

Just now, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

These are beautiful! Local or mail away? Need to get an SPS going in my tank soon. 

The first came from Bluestar, #2 from Sandy's

• Like 1

A common theme early on with my acros has been RTN and browning out upon introduction.  Partially I think it's just the tank being immature, partially I think its me still experimenting and fine tuning the lighting.  This is another frag I bought at the LFS and it really had a rough go the first couple of weeks I had it.  It wasn't particularly colorful in the store , but did have big green polyps.  I've probably had it two months and I would guess around 50% of the coral has died off from when I brought it home.  

As of today it hasn't started to recover tissue, but what does remain is really starting to show some color.  It has also been extending its polyps the last few days, which hasn't happen since I brought it home.  

IMG_1910.thumb.JPG.24ca56c30035c1276e71059b3b8d105d.JPG

IMG_1909.thumb.JPG.a2f4eee52c0f71b34a9bcabc7e7e10f5.JPG

• Like 1
A Little Blue

I killed (I thought I did) almost a dozen of acros by using wrong Bayer pesticide. Yeah, it’s quite effective in killing any known acro pest....... including acros. %100 mortality!! 🤣 Most lost their flesh right away, some after few days. Looked like a SPS bone yard. After few weeks, half came back from the dead. Be hopeful. Good luck. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I killed (I thought I did) almost a dozen of acros by using wrong Bayer pesticide. Yeah, it’s quite effective in killing any known acro pest....... including acros. %100 mortality!! 🤣 Most lost their flesh right away, some after few days. Looked like a SPS bone yard. After few weeks, half came back from the dead. Be hopeful. Good luck. 

I agree.  I've had sps bounce back after being seemingly dead for weeks. 

just removed 3 dead acro frags that had been growing well then suddenly turned to slowly dying off as part of my negligence over the past few months.  not too much attachment to them worth saving, altho one of them was my first ever blue-ish stag from back in 2015 (a bit bummed about that one).   

• Like 1