Pod Your Reef

Steve's Mixed Reef IM Fusion 30L + New Ball Python Adventure

specore

Have had a bit of an odyssey trying to get my MP-10's paired with my Apex.  After multiple conversations with Neptune, Ecotech and BRS we were finally able to diagnose the issue as a defective chip in the WXM module.  Neptune had me ship the module back to them for repair and they turned it around in 24 hrs.  I'm sure I'll spend more time than I should playing with these settings in the next few days.

image.thumb.png.7f1662e7ffd36d335d50bcaa95c5aa74.png

image.png.94eb5e3940de6497018014b3ac52470f.png  

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, specore said:

Did a little shopping in the Diver's Den this morning

image.png.6e4f631e0c53f859c7432521243d0127.png

image.png.edbb66bf32508e1aaa3050179eaab7ce.png

image.png.e94308221f31811464b8d4f2783a65ef.png

Flamebacks are super nice. Wish I could put one in my tank but I am afraid that it might ruin my peaceful ecosystem. 

Whats the name of the first acro? I like that one. 

24 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Flamebacks are super nice. Wish I could put one in my tank but I am afraid that it might ruin my peaceful ecosystem. 

Whats the name of the first acro? I like that one. 

It's ORA Ice Tort.  The centropyge angels are probably my favorite fish.  Love their size, colors and constant activity. 

A Little Blue
52 minutes ago, specore said:

It's ORA Ice Tort.  The centropyge angels are probably my favorite fish.  Love their size, colors and constant activity. 

Keep an eye on him tho. It likes to nib on corals. Just so you know, I was looking at him last night and had my finger on the “buy me” trigger. 

Tort is very nice. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Keep an eye on him tho. It likes to nib on corals. Just so you know, I was looking at him last night and had my finger on the “buy me” trigger. 

Tort is very nice. 

Was itching to pull the trigger on this guy...but 5" would be a little large for the 30L

image.png.1256cf4a42784d92912b5c6116a53c1f.png

A Little Blue
20 minutes ago, specore said:

Was itching to pull the trigger on this guy...but 5" would be a little large for the 30L

Saw him as well. Most of these will grow to 4-5”. Aren’t you worrying about other tankmates? Depending on individual personality, they can become a little bullish. 

• Like 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
24 minutes ago, specore said:

Specore according to KW Blue Star is selling their personal anemone clones. They are fantastic looking, may scratch the itch? Lol

9 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Saw him as well. Most of these will grow to 4-5”. Aren’t you worrying about other tankmates? Depending on individual personality, they can become a little bullish. 

Only one I would worry about would be the anthias.  Clownfish, chromis, hawkfish and cardinal can definitely hold their own.  I haven't experienced much hostility from these guys in the past, so hopefully no issues.  I am actually more concerned that the clownfish will harass the crap out of the flameback, so guess we'll see. 

4 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Specore according to KW Blue Star is selling their personal anemone clones. They are fantastic looking, may scratch the itch? Lol

Not looking for any more anenomes.  Especially ones that like to move around 😉

• Like 1

Live Aquaria purchase made possible by this ironing center project.  She's probably going to expect me to finish fixing the drywall and tuck  away the electrical fairly quickly. 

9013A8CE-1ADF-4487-9DBB-145D6063E3C8.jpeg

5E054AD0-10F0-4DCF-B582-49650E57D79E.jpeg

• Like 3
A Little Blue
2 hours ago, specore said:

Only one I would worry about would be the anthias.  Clownfish, chromis, hawkfish and cardinal can definitely hold their own.  I haven't experienced much hostility from these guys in the past, so hopefully no issues.  I am actually more concerned that the clownfish will harass the crap out of the flameback, so guess we'll see. 

Not looking for any more anenomes.  Especially ones that like to move around 😉

Did you have Flameback before? 

If so, what’s your experience with them? 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Did you have Flameback before? 

If so, what’s your experience with them? 

Had one for about two years.  Never saw him nip at corals and wasn't particularly aggressive.  Every once in a while he would chase one of my other fish, but wasn't a non stop harassment type of behavior.  Really very similar personality to the atlantic pygmys I've owned. 

A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, specore said:

Had one for about two years.  Never saw him nip at corals and wasn't particularly aggressive.  Every once in a while he would chase one of my other fish, but wasn't a non stop harassment type of behavior.  Really very similar personality to the atlantic pygmys I've owned. 

Cool! I will have to think about it..... My 30L is at full capacity but I have a feeling that I might have a female Tailspot in my frag tank. If my male from 30L would pair up, then maybe I would concider getting one. 

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Cool! I will have to think about it..... My 30L is at full capacity but I have a feeling that I might have a female Tailspot in my frag tank. If my male from 30L would pair up, then maybe I would concider getting one. 

The flamebacks stay on the small side too, which is part of the reason they work well in nanos.  I would say 3 inches would be really large for the species

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, specore said:

The flamebacks stay on the small side too, which is part of the reason they work well in nanos.  I would say 3 inches would be really large for the species

3” is reasonable for such a small tank. 

Even tho they recommend a bit larger tank, I think you should be OK. 

Especially since you have some experience with guys from this family. 

I am very cautious with fish I have no experience with but this guy is just too cute. 

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

3” is reasonable for such a small tank. 

Even tho they recommend a bit larger tank, I think you should be OK. 

Especially since you have some experience with guys from this family. 

I am very cautious with fish I have no experience with but this guy is just too cute. 

I had an atlantic pygmy in my JBJ 28g for two years without issue. He'll be the smallest fish in my tank intially.  

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, specore said:

I had an atlantic pygmy in my JBJ 28g for two years without issue. 

How many fish do you have in your 30 so far? 

Just now, A Little Blue said:

How many fish do you have in your 30 so far? 

Pajama cardinal, clown, purple queen anthias, green chromis, longnose hawkfish.  So five, soon to be six.  I am done after the angel.  

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, specore said:

Pajama cardinal, clown, purple queen anthias, green chromis, longnose hawkfish.  So five, soon to be six.  I am done after the angel.  

Five is what I got. Although, I haven’t seen my Circus goby in a month or so. 

I don’t think it died as I haven’t noticed any change in water parameters. 

I think 6 fish is probably the upper limit of what you can get away with, regardless of how efficient your filtration might be.  I concider my filtration approach as pretty efficient but I don’t think I can take a chance with another fish. Especially dwarf angel. Maybe one day I will have a vacancy for such a pretty fish. 

Well crap.  I've never dipped corals and always felt like my day would come.  Just spotted a single monti on my montipora confusa.  Was easy to spot since it was what looked like one white polyp among a see of brown polyps.  Upon further examination there are probably 8-10 others near the base of the same frag.  Removed it and in the process of dipping now.  Not sure the best course of action from here,.  Do I dip frequently to catch any newly hatched nudis?  Or just a thorough inspection for eggs and manual removal?  

8 minutes ago, specore said:

Well crap.  I've never dipped corals and always felt like my day would come.  Just spotted a single monti on my montipora confusa.  Was easy to spot since it was what looked like one white polyp among a see of brown polyps.  Upon further examination there are probably 8-10 others near the base of the same frag.  Removed it and in the process of dipping now.  Not sure the best course of action from here,.  Do I dip frequently to catch any newly hatched nudis?  Or just a thorough inspection for eggs and manual removal?  

Both is a good idea. The dip kills the nudis while the manual removal takes care of the eggs. I would dip everyday until you see no sign of them

5 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Both is a good idea. The dip kills the nudis while the manual removal takes care of the eggs. I would dip everyday until you see no sign of them

Looks like every four days or so is recommended.  Apparently it takes a full week for any new hatch lings to reach adulthood and begin reproducing.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jet717 said:

She needs a partner to keep in line so she doesn't go after you! 🙂

I assume you're taking about my poltergeist of a clownfish? If so, she's dead to me 🙂

• Haha 1