Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Not loving the Steve's LEDs in RSM C-130

jasonrusso

I installed the Steve's LEDs into my RSM C-130 on day 1 because I wanted some control over colors and I wanted sunrise and sunset.  Since then, I have burned several corals and I am not really getting the results I had hoped.  My water parameters are all in line, but I have had some GHA growth.  

My main coral guy says that the white channel on the Steve's LED is very powerful and has a strong red spectrum which corals don't like.  I only have the white channel at 500 and the blue at 2000. When I had the white at 1000, I bleached a trachy and killed a pink lemonade.  Since I turned the white down to 500, I hadn't bleached anything. I have the ramp time at 75 minutes at on at 11:30 and off at 8:30.  I figured I had less than 8 hours of full bright, so last week I changed the on time to 10:30.  By Thursday my trachy was bleaching and not inflating.  I changed back to 11:30. 

I don't get how some people are running these at 50-75% when I can't get past 10%!!  I'm thinking about putting an AI hydra or Radion in the hood.  Anyone done this? 

You need to acclimate you corals slowly. Only increase your light intensity by 10% or so per week in order to prevent bleaching. You're going to have the same issues with the Hydra or Radion. I am not sure the light is the issue here. 

• Like 2