SaltCritters.com

IM Nuvo 10 help

MrObscura

Hi, I am currently planning a nano reef in a Nuvo 10. It'll be my fist saltwater tank(well, since a FO I had as a kid with no clue) but I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. I know it'll be a mixed reef, mostly with lps and softies, with some birdsnest and monti added somewhere down the line. I also want to keep it minimal and simple, so no ATO, no skimmer, no unnecessarily equipment. I will top of manually and do weekly water changes (currently have discus, so, looking forward to the far less frequent water changes). But I also want to do it right without skimping on necessary equipment. And that brings me to the most important aspects of a reef... lighting and flow. While I have lighting covered with an AI prime, opinions on flow regarding this tank seem to be all over the place with one person saying such and such pump isn't enough while the next person will say the same pump is way to much. 

Now, I know I'd like to accomplish enough flow using just a return pump and nothing in the main display. I also like the idea of the RFG. So, what I'd really appreciate is some opinions on what return pump I should go with to get enough flow, but not to much, with an RFG for a mixed reef. I was thinking the Sicce 1.5 since it falls within spec of the RFG lowest optimum flow and VCA says you can go with much higher flow than usual using the RFG since it diffuses said flow. Anyone using it? Does it even fit? Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Hi, I am currently planning a nano reef in a Nuvo 10. It'll be my fist saltwater tank(well, since a FO I had as a kid with no clue) but I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. I know it'll be a mixed reef, mostly with lps and softies, with some birdsnest and monti added somewhere down the line. I also want to keep it minimal and simple, so no ATO, no skimmer, no unnecessarily equipment. I will top of manually and do weekly water changes (currently have discus, so, looking forward to the far less frequent water changes). But I also want to do it right without skimping on necessary equipment. And that brings me to the most important aspects of a reef... lighting and flow. While I have lighting covered with an AI prime, opinions on flow regarding this tank seem to be all over the place with one person saying such and such pump isn't enough while the next person will say the same pump is way to much. 

Now, I know I'd like to accomplish enough flow using just a return pump and nothing in the main display. I also like the idea of the RFG. So, what I'd really appreciate is some opinions on what return pump I should go with to get enough flow, but not to much, with an RFG for a mixed reef. I was thinking the Sicce 1.5 since it falls within spec of the RFG lowest optimum flow and VCA says you can go with much higher flow than usual using the RFG since it diffuses said flow. Anyone using it? Does it even fit? Thanks in advance.

I’m not positive but I don’t think the 1.5 will fit in the rear chamber. Look at the im mighty jet. The small version gets over 300 gph at full power. I’ve been looking at maybe getting one so you can tell us how you like it lol. 

Yeah, I was actually looking at the mighty jets, but I'd probably go with the 500gph one(if it will fit) since it's only 10 bucks difference and can be dialed down if need be. Only thing that had me leaning toward the Sicces are the fact that they're cheaper, but still quality. Sure the might jets come with an external controller and thats a cool little feature but...

Though, that does remind me of something I meant to ask. The mighty jets have a wave mode, so instead of an RFG could you run your sole return pump in wave mode? Or will that mess with the flow through the back chamber/media? And wouldn't you also actually be cutting your flow down since the pump will regularly turn off?

If you don't want to skimp then get an ATO trust me. Your salinity stability will thank you. A lot of times life gets in the way. Everyone's tank is different and evaporates different amounts. My ATO goes off 4-5 times randomly throughout the day. There is absolutely no way I could keep up with that by manual top off. I know people do it and are successful. To each his own.......But I highly recommend an ATO. Best 100 bucks I've ever spent. 

• Like 4

I see an ATO as a luxury not a necessity, at least on a ten where I can easily just keep a gallon of rodi on hand and top off as needed.  I'm always home and I've had a discus tank for some time now and haven't missed a single water change, which are probably done about as frequently as I'll be topping off the reef. lol

Hell, compared to the discus I'm looking forward to the maintenance on the nano.  An ATO will definitely be on the upgrade list for a possible splurge somewhere done the line though. But I have to admit paying 100 bucks to do something I can literally do in 5 seconds bugs me.  I have been looking into a DIY ato.

And when thinking about adding luxury items to the build I start thinking... "for that money I could go with a larger budget build."  So, this is the perfect balance imo between keeping things minimal and having quality equipment. I was originally going to go super low budget with a light like a third the price of the prime. 

Oh, and that reminds me, in regards to upgrading the pump. I visited a few local reef stores today(with excellent reputations) and talked to them about it and they were all of the opinion that in a small tank 10 times the turn over is plenty of flow for a mixed reef. Though I'm not sure I'd trust the stock pump to actually deliver that and would still like to be able to create a bit more flow if need be, so I think I'll go with a sicce 1.0 and an RFG.  VCA said that they have a number of customers using that exact same set up in the nuvo 10. And it seems to be popular around here.

45 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I see an ATO as a luxury not a necessity, at least on a ten where I can easily just keep a gallon of rodi on hand and top off as needed.  I'm always home and I've had a discus tank for some time now and haven't missed a single water change, which are probably done about as frequently as I'll be topping off the reef. lol

Hell, compared to the discus I'm looking forward to the maintenance on the nano.  An ATO will definitely be on the upgrade list for a possible splurge somewhere done the line though. But I have to admit paying 100 bucks to do something I can literally do in 5 seconds bugs me.  I have been looking into a DIY ato.

And when thinking about adding luxury items to the build I start thinking... "for that money I could go with a larger budget build."  So, this is the perfect balance imo between keeping things minimal and having quality equipment. I was originally going to go super low budget with a light like a third the price of the prime. 

Oh, and that reminds me, in regards to upgrading the pump. I visited a few local reef stores today(with excellent reputations) and talked to them about it and they were all of the opinion that in a small tank 10 times the turn over is plenty of flow for a mixed reef. Though I'm not sure I'd trust the stock pump to actually deliver that and would still like to be able to create a bit more flow if need be, so I think I'll go with a sicce 1.0 and an RFG.  VCA said that they have a number of customers using that exact same set up in the nuvo 10. And it seems to be popular around here.

Sicce 1.0

Rio 600 or 800. I've never had issue with Rios. Just from personal experience.

Smaller Mighty jet.

All those pumps should give you plenty flow.

ATO is not a luxury its stability. 

Upgrade filter to a media rack. To maybe do cheato or keep it simple with chemipure. 

its a luxury when my eyes and hands can do the same job for free. lol

oh and about the media rack, it seems like a nice convenience, but i thought I'd just throw a couple of chemipure blue nano packs in the stock sock and stuff some filter floss in the top of the sock. i figure that way the sock does the job of the rack without getting all nasty because you can just change the filter floss out as needed.

I was told by a local shop that i shouldnt even bother with filtration other than my rock and some filter floss, but i think I'll run some chemi blue for peace of mind.

25 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

oh and about the media rack, it seems like a nice convenience, but i thought I'd just throw a couple of chemipure blue nano packs in the stock sock and stuff some filter floss in the top of the sock. i figure that way the sock does the job of the rack without getting all nasty because you can just change the filter floss out as needed.

I was told by a local shop that i shouldnt even bother with filtration other than my rock and some filter floss, but i think I'll run some chemi blue for peace of mind.

Trying to help you enjoy your tank instead of constantly filling with rodi. These 10 gallons evaporate water like crazy. Filter sock sucks. Buy a media rack and fill with filter floss or media of choice. 

Your asking for our opinons but your stuck on what your LFS has told you already.  I never used filter floss in my nuvo 10 no need. I had gfo and carbon whit cheato that grew like weeds. 

ATO are key in reef tanks. To maintain salinity.  Of course people manually do it. But you wont regret it.

This would be your first reef tank or sw tank in general. 

Wayyy different than FW. 

• Like 2

I can promise you, I'm one of the laziest, most procrastinating individuals you could ever meet, but even I can manage to fill a glass box with a little water now and again. lol Speaking of which, It's time for a WC on the discus tank.

And it's not that I'm stuck on anything the lfs said, I even said I'll be running cemiblue despite what the lfs said. And upgrading the pump despite numerous people saying it wasn't necessary. I wasn't agreeing with the lfs but disagreeing with them. 

Even though this will be my fist saltwater tank, I'm not new to fish keeping(and can't imagine this requiring more actual maintenance than discus. hell, discus keepers often joke about wishing the stuck with reefs) and more importantly I don't start things with out excessively researching things first. Therefore, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with the tank and how I want to accomplish it. It has nothing to do with what one person said, but rather that I have gathered a lot of information and have, for the most part, formulated what is IMO the best approach to accomplish it.

The only area  that was really still under question was the pump, hence the thread. Though while the thread was started in regards to pumps I appreciate any and all advice. That said, I still feel manually topping off is more than adequate(Maybe I'll sing a different tune a few months down the line, we'll see), and will run filter floss to catch any detritus that can easily be removed by changing out said floss regularly.  I am interested in hearing how the the media basket, other than adding convenience, is anymore efficient than dropping some chemipure in the sock and topping it off with filter floss. I know a sock will get really nasty, really quick if used as your main mechanical filtration, but topped off with floss to stop that from happening I don't see the difference to be honest. If I am wrong about that please correct me.

16 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I can promise you, I'm one of the laziest, most procrastinating individuals you could ever meet, but even I can manage to fill a glass box with a little water now and again. lol Speaking of which, It's time for a WC on the discus tank.

And it's not that I'm stuck on anything the lfs said, I even said I'll be running cemiblue despite what the lfs said. And upgrading the pump despite numerous people saying it wasn't necessary. I wasn't agreeing with the lfs but disagreeing with them. 

Even though this will be my fist saltwater tank, I'm not new to fish keeping(and can't imagine this requiring more actual maintenance than discus. hell, discus keepers often joke about wishing the stuck with reefs) and more importantly I don't start things with out excessively researching things first. Therefore, I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with the tank and how I want to accomplish it. It has nothing to do with what one person said, but rather that I have gathered a lot of information and have, for the most part, formulated what is IMO the best approach to accomplish it.

The only area  that was really still under question was the pump, hence the thread. Though while the thread was started in regards to pumps I appreciate any and all advice. That said, I still feel manually topping off is more than adequate(Maybe I'll sing a different tune a few months down the line, we'll see), and will run filter floss to catch any detritus that can easily be removed by changing out said floss regularly.  I am interested in hearing how the the media basket, other than adding convenience, is anymore efficient than dropping some chemipure in the sock and topping it off with filter floss. I know a sock will get really nasty, really quick if used as your main mechanical filtration, but topped off with floss to stop that from happening I don't see the difference to be honest. If I am wrong about that please correct me.

Research is key lol. I use media rack to grow cheato. Ato is just 1 thing less I want to be concerned about. That's all. For pumps though all the ones I said are great. At that point it's up to you. 

The sock and the holder it comes with will allow water to just flow around the floss and chemical media. The quality racks leave very little room for water to flow around thereby forcing it through the floss and chemical media. They’re worth the money. 

• Like 1

You'll be fine without the ATO. I've almost exclusively kept picos (5.5 and under) for almost ten years, and never had an ATO. Would it be nice? Sure.  But that's the sort of thing you can get by without for now. Being home a lot will be a huge help in this regard. But with what you want to keep, you should be fine. Sounds like you've got a good plan in mind. If you don't want to jump straight into a media rack, look into the InTank filter floss holder, I'm not sure how much it'll hold but it may suit your needs. And plenty of people run filter floss and either ChemiPure or straight carbon.  

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MrObscura said:

7 hours ago, MrObscura said:

To each his own LOL

9 hours ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Trying to help you enjoy your tank instead of constantly filling with rodi. These 10 gallons evaporate water like crazy. Filter sock sucks. Buy a media rack and fill with filter floss or media of choice. 

Your asking for our opinons but your stuck on what your LFS has told you already.  I never used filter floss in my nuvo 10 no need. I had gfo and carbon whit cheato that grew like weeds. 

ATO are key in reef tanks. To maintain salinity.  Of course people manually do it. But you wont regret it.

This would be your first reef tank or sw tank in general. 

Wayyy different than FW. 

He will buy one by this time next year lol. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

To each his own LOL

He will buy one by this time next year lol. 

I mean, he might, but see my post above lol. Almost ten years and no ato yet, not even a hamster bottle.  I'll get around to it one of these days.  Probably.  Maybe. 

31 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I mean, he might, but see my post above lol. Almost ten years and no ato yet, not even a hamster bottle.  I'll get around to it one of these days.  Probably.  Maybe. 

With kids and work. I dont have time to worry about evaporating water. Lol

Work 7a-4p Monday thru Friday

Mon-sons karate

Tuesday- sons swim practice

Wed- sons karate

Thursday- sons swim practice

Friday- duaghters swim lesson

Sat- lawn chores, sons swim, sons karate, daughters swim lesson.

Sun-house duties. 

Life is more important than evaporated water. Lol I'm just saying. 10 mins out of my day when something else can manage this for you. Convenience. 

But to eaches own. Successful you can be for sure. But time management and my kids are more important than my reefing hobby. 

Since he is home it would work for him for sure. 

On 6/19/2018 at 12:47 AM, MrObscura said:

Sicce 1.5 is cutting is close, don't think it will fit either - the allotted chamber for the Nuvo 10 return pump is 4" x 2.97" which I don't think includes the thickness of the baffle which makes it even smaller. I'd suggest the Jebao DCS-2000 rated up to 526gph and is sized to 3.7" x 2.4"

Just kind of skimmed through this and to put in my two cents - ato isn't necessary, but a nice thing to have.

I ran the 1.0 in my 10 and I wouldn't recommend the 1.5 simply because of how quickly it moves water out of the rear chamber, you wouldn't have it filling back up fast enough and there would be too much water in the display area.... the 1.0 works well.

• Like 1
Euphylin me

figured id chime in since i have nothing better to do lol....I have the im nuvo fusion 10 as an office tank. Right now i have a darwin's clown and some lps (3 head hammer and a torch) this is my office tank and i am away from it all weekend and i dont have an auto top off. Everything looks great. I upgraded the pump to something that pushes 160 gph... when i upgraded i noticed one of the chambers is lower than usual due to the faster flow. tbh i wouldnt get something that is higher than 200 gph. or....get something strong and add a spinstream nozzle. I have the filter socks and think they are pretty decent. i run a very small bag of gfo, two small bags of chemipure blue, and a larger sized bag of seachem biomax. i have the hippegaro leds over it and those are pretty nice. 

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Hinn, I actually saw your vid with the 1.0 and RFG and that's part of what got me leaning towards that combo.  I think that should provide enough flow to keep detritus from settling while offering enough for the monti and birdsnest down the road but also allowing for lesser flow animals to thrive in the tank.

As for the ATO, yea, I'm always home... and it's always a steady 75 degrees in here so I don't think topping of manually will be to much of a hassle. But an ATO is always a possibility down the road. I do wish they offered an affordable glass or acrylic lid for the tank rather than the mesh though.

I have looked at the filter floss holder, but figure I might as well just go with the media basket then. Especially since with just the filter floss holder the chemipure will just have to be thrown down in the back of the chamber making it seem like a bit of a pain in the ass to get to when need be.  

Oh, a couple more things I have wondered is how exactly do you know where the water level should be in the tank? And does any one know the exact dimensions of the interior display area, so if I get some rock early I can make a template and play around with scaping. Thanks again. 

• Like 2
Euphylin me

the back chamber is 3 inches from the back of the tank to the black panel in the display area and the length from front to back is 12 inches so the usable space for rockscaping is about a 9"x15" space....dont quote me on that but im fairly certain thats it

23 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Hinn, I actually saw your vid with the 1.0 and RFG and that's part of what got me leaning towards that combo.  I think that should provide enough flow to keep detritus from settling while offering enough for the monti and birdsnest down the road but also allowing for lesser flow animals to thrive in the tank.

As for the ATO, yea, I'm always home... and it's always a steady 75 degrees in here so I don't think topping of manually will be to much of a hassle. But an ATO is always a possibility down the road. I do wish they offered an affordable glass or acrylic lid for the tank rather than the mesh though.

I have looked at the filter floss holder, but figure I might as well just go with the media basket then. Especially since with just the filter floss holder the chemipure will just have to be thrown down in the back of the chamber making it seem like a bit of a pain in the ass to get to when need be.  

Oh, a couple more things I have wondered is how exactly do you know where the water level should be in the tank? And does any one know the exact dimensions of the interior display area, so if I get some rock early I can make a template and play around with scaping. Thanks again. 

Answering the water level question, the level in the return chamber should be about a half inch or so (too low and the waterfall will make bubbles that get spit from the return and too high it has no separation from the second chamber negating and kind of natural, chemical, of fuge type deal you have going) lower than the baffle to the second chamber. Water in the display should stay consistent but will vary in height depending on gph of the return and if anything is impeding the overflow. 

• Like 2

Now, I just have to decide on what rock to go with. I know I don't want to do live rock. The ecosystem that comes with it is nice, but I like the idea of being able to control what is introduced to the tank. So, I am going to go with some type of dry rock not harvested from the ocean so I don't have to worry about curing other than simple cycling the tank with the rock in it. Any recommendation as to what is the best eco friendly dry rock? Is there a difference?

As for rock types, I was leaning towards basic rock, but now I'm thinking a combo of base rock, branch and shelf might work best for what I want to do. I know I want to do coral gardens with sectionsof the tank being dominated by a specific species, or type. I'm thinking zoa and  ricordea garden down low, then a micromussa and Euphyllia garden in the middle, topped of with  birdsnest and monti cap near the top. I'll also probably try to make use of the floor space covering the substrate with corals...maybe the zoas and ricordeas, leaving the main rockwork for the other corals. And I also like how some people use the sides and backs to grow coral. Monti cap growing off the glass looks good, and I've seen someone encrust the back of their tank with Cyphastrea and that was awesome.

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Now, I just have to decide on what rock to go with. I know I don't want to do live rock. The ecosystem that comes with it is nice, but I like the idea of being able to control what is introduced to the tank. So, I am going to go with some type of dry rock not harvested from the ocean so I don't have to worry about curing other than simple cycling the tank with the rock in it. Any recommendation as to what is the best eco friendly dry rock? Is there a difference?

As for rock types, I was leaning towards basic rock, but now I'm thinking a combo of base rock, branch and shelf might work best for what I want to do. I know I want to do coral gardens with sectionsof the tank being dominated by a specific species, or type. I'm thinking zoa and  ricordea garden down low, then a micromussa and Euphyllia garden in the middle, topped of with  birdsnest and monti cap near the top. I'll also probably try to make use of the floor space covering the substrate with corals...maybe the zoas and ricordeas, leaving the main rockwork for the other corals. And I also like how some people use the sides and backs to grow coral. Monti cap growing off the glass looks good, and I've seen someone encrust the back of their tank with Cyphastrea and that was awesome.

You’re the one that has to look at it. Get what you like. 

• Like 1